Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: A Filipino in the Battle of Britain?  (Read 5942 times)

Offline John Amend-All

• Sr Member
A Filipino in the Battle of Britain?
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:37:35 PM »
Can this be true.

I was getting steadily lasing with Uncle Bereng the other evening. The old guy is very well read, well travelled, ex-mayor etc. and suddenly came out with this, \"did you know there was one Filipino flying ace in the Battle of Britain. He volunteered via the US Air Force and was killed in a later engagement of the war.\" Even had a surname for him, Paredes.

Well my flabber was completely gasted but I suppose it is possible :o. Googling yielded nothing much. Does anyone out there have an inkling at all?

John

Re: A Filipino in the Battle of Britain?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 07:34:07 AM »
Sounds a bit garbled. The US was not in the war at the time of the Battle of Britain so \'volunteered via the US Air Force\' doesn\'t make much sense. However he could have taken leave I suppose and gone to England to volunteer. There was a squadron of mainly US pilots and it\'s conceivable one could have been Filipino.

More at http://www.davidalanjohnson.com/work4.htm

Offline John Amend-All

• Sr Member
Re: A Filipino in the Battle of Britain?
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:09:48 PM »
Ken

Sorry, should have responded earlier to thank you for the link. As expected did not turn up anyone of that name. However it is a common enough name hereabouts. So I will ask around and see if anyone has a treasured memento that can shed further light on it.

John