Living in The Philippines > Languages, Learning History, Politics etc.

Found this today, is decidly toward Marcos but I found it interesting

<< < (2/6) > >>

bcnorth:
Coleman, I mention I taught English and Politics at four universities in the PRC for you comment “. . . when you are dealing with a mostly uneducated populaces sometimes it is better to do the thinking for them.” This was a key issue in many of my politics classes. I explained  democracy is not magical but is simply a mechanism for making decisions that can lead to good policies as well as bad policies. Students countered “the dictatorship of the proletariat” prevented poor policies for during this period the leadership made policy and the proletariat was being educated. When I suggested utilizing democracy would be a better way to make policy the students countered I was arguing for a dictatorship of the bourgeoisie forging policies while excluding the broad working class from the process. I certainly am not arguing you are a proponent of any Marxian theory but merely noting who makes political decisions is an extremely complex issue  still needing a great deal of thought.         

fred:
Marcos was a plundering,murdering tyrant of gigantic proportions.
Its not much use cherry picking historical facts.

coleman2347:
bcnorth,  Excellent observation, however I prefer the usage closer to Roman times as described here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proletariat
After I retired from the military, I found that some of the things I did not like while in, orders with no room to question actually had their place.
While working for the DOD where rule by committee was the norm I found that often times decisions were never made or watered down to the point of being useless.  Its the difference between Obama and Regan...Or the difference in Marcos and the rest since then.  One thing I do believe is that if Marcos had been president when Yolanda hit, we would have had some help..and the looting would not have been on the scale it was. As it was the government did nothing for at least a week...It is my opinion that if there were stronger leadership here, the country could get back to the economic status it use to have and not continue to spiral into political and economic chaos.

--- Quote from: fred on July 10, 2014, 07:57:33 AM ---Marcos was a plundering,murdering tyrant of gigantic proportions.
Its not much use cherry picking historical facts.

--- End quote ---

Fred, obviously you have strong opinions on the subject, I will not attempt to change your mind.  Your entitled to your opinion.  However, I wish you would take a look at those who have plundered this country since Marcos times..

JD:
I tend to think that, before forcing intercourse upon the average Filipino, Marcos bought them dinner.

Nowadays they're lucky if they get an order of Shoti balls before.

JD

coleman2347:

JD
[/quote]
--- Quote from: JD on July 10, 2014, 12:50:23 PM ---I tend to think that, before forcing intercourse upon the average Filipino, Marcos bought them dinner.

Nowadays they're lucky if they get an order of Shoti balls before.

JD

--- End quote ---

Excellent observation, even better comparison :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version