Living in The Philippines > RA 9225, Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition

Dual citizenship and reclaiming filipino citizenship

<< < (2/11) > >>

Gray Wolf:

--- Quote from: Frosty on February 23, 2013, 12:00:49 AM ---Hi everyone
I have some questions also about dual citizenship. I know there are a few advantages to dual citizenship but has anyone found any disadvantages to it? Has anyone had problems traveling with two passports? Do both passports need to be shown when you travel? Has anyone had problems with paper work at the embassy's? Has anyone had a problem with ownership of property if you have dual citizenship? Do children that also have dual citizenship have any problems with going to school? Has anyone had any problems with pentions or maybe bank accounts or life insurance? Has anyone had any problems at all with dual citizenship?

--- End quote ---

You use only one passport when you travel, although my wife carries both for additional ID, just in case.  Only one passport gets the arrival stamp, etc.

There are no disadvantages at all, IMHO

suzukig1:

--- Quote from: Frosty on February 23, 2013, 12:00:49 AM ---Hi everyone
I have some questions also about dual citizenship. I know there are a few advantages to dual citizenship but has anyone found any disadvantages to it? ...

--- End quote ---

Income taxes if you are a resident Phl citizen and have income outside the Phl.  It's taxed in the Phl.

Resident Phl citizens get taxed in the Phl on world wide income.

Non-resident Phl citizens get taxed in the Phl only on income derived in the Phl.

Foreigners, resident or not, only get taxed in the Phl on income derived in the Phl.

Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am:
Jack,
Which one of your wife's passport are you referring to? Both passports have to be presented to the Philippines Immigration official where he/she will annotate and stamp both passports accordingly upon entering and or leaving the Philippines, but when entering or departing the U.S., immigration officials seeing that your wife has a U.S. passport in her hand they may not even ask for her RP passport, because they maybe a little uninterested or care less with individuals with dual nationalities and with two passports! I personally observed their negative reaction when one hands a U.S. immigration official two passports at the same time! The policies that they have to follow in the RP may not be the same policies in the U.S.!
Some U.S. and RP Immigration Officials just have attitudes like nobody's business and some don't even know how to properly annotate the U.S. or RP passport for dual citizens!

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=239&Itemid=80

In the arrival, stay and departure of Filipinos with dual or multiple citizenship, where the Filipino presents a Philippine passport and a foreign passport, the arrival or departure stamp shall be stamped on both passports. In the foreign passport, the immigration officer shall put either of the following notations on the provision for the authorized stay in the arrival or departure stamp:

“PP”- if a Philippine passport is also presented or
“IC”- if an Identification Certificate is presented.   
(MEMORANDUM ORDER NO. AFFJr.  – 04 – 025 dated 14 December 2004).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/dual-nationality.html

The United States does not favor dual nationality as a matter of policy, but does recognize it's existence in individual cases. The Supreme Court of the United States has stated that dual nationality is "a status long recognized in the law" and that "a person may have and exercise rights of nationality in two countries and be subject to the responsibilities of both. The mere fact that he asserts the rights of one citizenship does not without more mean that he renounces the other," (Kawakita v. U.S., 343 U.S. 717, 1952). (The Embassy does not have Supreme Court cases on file; interested parties may wish to consult with local law school libraries.) These concepts apply also to persons who have more than two nationalities.

Frosty:
thanks for the information everyone.

suzukig1 do you have any more information on world wide income for resident phl citizen or know where I can look it up.

Art2ro I will not say anything about #5 to my wife. If I told her she could go back to work after she gets her dual citizenship and retire to the PI. I will be in trouble.

Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am:
The are just a few disadvantages of reacquiring Philippine Citizenship!
1) one is under the laws and jurisdiction of the Philippine Government, if one is ever incarcerated, the American Embassy can not help you!
2) silly, but maybe true, if a war broke out in the Philippines, foreigners are the first to be evacuated and since one is a Filipino citizen, you maybe at the bottom of the totem pole, just like what happened during the fall of Saigon on Apr 30, 1975 where Americans had priority getting on the last helicopter to safety!
What else? Anyone!

http://www.gurfinkel.com/imm_updates2.htm
On the other side of the coin, just a little about acquiring U.S. Citizenship! So you can see, there are many advantages in obtaining U.S. citizenship. However, in some cases there could also be a number of issues or problems if a person applies for U.S. citizenship. For example, if a person obtained his green card illegally (i.e. he obtained a green card as "single", but was really married), then applying for U.S. citizenship could result in the person's fraud being discovered. In that case, they would not only be denied citizenship, but could also possibly be placed in removal/deportation. Similarly, if an immigrant has a criminal record, applying for naturalization could create complications or possible removal/deportation. Moreover, if a male between the age of 18 and 26 failed to register for Selective Service, he may not be eligible for U.S. citizenship until he reaches the age of 31 (Therefore, it is very important for males to register for Selective Service.) In addition, if a person has an "aged-out" child, who qualify for benefits under Section 3 of Child Status Protection Act (CSPA), that parent may not want to naturalize, as it may affect the child's age out benefits.
That is why it is important that if a person is thinking about pursuing citizenship, they may want to first seek the advice of a reputable attorney, to make sure it is "safe" to do so, and that the person is truly eligible for citizenship.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version