Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Thoughts on North Korea and the nuclear threat?  (Read 4411 times)

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Thoughts on North Korea and the nuclear threat?
« on: August 12, 2017, 08:23:45 AM »
What are your thoughts?  I think from direct attack, I am more safe here in the Phils than i would be in the US.  More due to the fact that Chicago was one of the possible targets list and I lived not too far from there and I do not see any benefit of attacking the Phils.  Every country would turn on NK if the did that.

The US has enemies that would sit back and rejoice...but the Phils is a different story.  So I'm more in the wondering of what effect a war in the region would have on the Phils.  Radiation in water on the shoreline if an attack on Guam happened or the economic effect on the Phils and all that if war did happen. 

What will he Phil government do if that war broke out?  Is Duterte open to the US using bases here for a post? 

Lot of possibilities and all...more curious than anything on thoughts of members on this board.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I and all of our grandchildren.
Re: Thoughts on North Korea and the nuclear threat?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »
I feel the Phils may be in possible danger because KJU is a mental case. He's not thinking about consequences, only his whims.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
If North Korea strikes South Korea with a nuke, not likely, or if the U.S. strikes North Korea with a nuke, also not likely, then fallout might be the only thing we would have to worry about in the Philippines but only if the winds are in that direction, unless NK is terrible with targeting, then everyone could be in danger. I feel you all in the Philippines should be safe for the most part.
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 10:22:31 AM »
I agree Steve.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 04:09:13 PM »
fallout might be the only thing we would have to worry about

If memory serves, atmospheric cycling is in a direction away from us.  That is why fallout from the Fukushima meltdown went to Hawaii/US/Canada/Alaska and not here.

A ground level detonation on the "Ring of Fire"  can't be a good thing.  There might be earthquakes / tsunami's.  That would be more damaging I should think.

I am particularly concerned about a nuclear detonation in the upper atmosphere.  An EMP generating event.  One of those, large enough and correctly placed, would send most of Japan, Guam, and the Philippines back into 1800's.  Three birds with one stone.

Some hardened assets might survive, but us poor slobs would be screwed.  Think about what you depend on.  Water pumps, hospitals, aircraft,  maritime shipping, vehicles,  communications, all data processing - financial or other wise.  Gone.

Manufacturing or shipping in parts all require electricity.  So no quick fixes.

Hope this scares the sh_t out y'all.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 10:12:01 PM »
As I see it, with the U.S,'s arsenal of non-nuked missles launched from planes, destroyers and subs would be enough to annialate N. Korean's nukes before and or after their launch and also wipe out any or all organic matter on the ground, hence no more N. Koreans. So, why worry about fallout?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 10:21:55 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 11:07:10 PM »
In the news today, something I did not think about, what if NK shoots off a nuke and one of the countries destroys it in the air, then there could be fallout.   :o
AFP: NoKor missile hitting PH remote

There is little danger that a North Korean missile will hit the Philippines if the rogue state makes good on its threat to fire a salvo toward Guam, according to Armed Forces of the Philippines spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla.
Padilla also said there was a remote possibility that debris from the missiles disintegration could reach the country, particularly the northern coastal areas.
Its a source of concern, thats why the [Association of Southeast Asian Nations] leaders or foreign ministers discussed it thoroughly and came up with a statement, Padilla said of Pyongyangs missile threat.
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/yc4zyuzc
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
if he was to fire nukes im 100% sure they would be targeted at usa and unless guam was targeted i doubt any trajetory of missles would be our way thus np with fallout if destroyed . no expert but i do believe if shot out of sky they just fall apart they dont detonate .stupid people do stupid stuff and im in my mind im sure he will shoot a nuke . he would never fire it westward over china but that would be best synarrio as then china has no chioce but to hit him hard or look like fools to rest of the world and chinese dont like saving face as they say. as far as me im not scared any way what happens happens i can not do anything untill it does so not going to worry about it too much.any missle shot will be intercepted that im sure of.

Offline HappyBee

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 02:47:51 AM »
In the news today, something I did not think about, what if NK shoots off a nuke and one of the countries destroys it in the air, then there could be fallout.   :o

Guess we'd only find out it happened after it was too late...
^^ Just my personal opinion... take it or leave it!

Offline iamjames

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »
All pure speculation on the the scale of "the sky is falling" rumour. If we start worrying about hypotheses like this it is a sure road to an early grave. Why does everyone worry about what they cannot influence?

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 10:35:37 PM »
Any scenario that ends up with China vs US would be bad for Philippines as both have great influence in many ways.  A side would have to be taken.  US vs NK,  Philippines might be able to stay neutral and not be involved.

I still remember the initial Desert Storm operation,  and the media leading up to it.   Iraq had a huge army,  albeit the end results turned into a mess but the initial operation was relatively quick.  The US is for today the only Hyperpower (albeit with problems..).

Risk of direct attack on Philippines,  in my opinion is low.  Not high enough to worry about.
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline lost_in_samoa

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 03:35:38 AM »
Why does everyone worry about what they cannot influence?

It's called Forethought.

{sarc on}  You should try it sometime. {/sarc off}