Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: What China clames is theirs in the South China Sea, really?  (Read 26774 times)

Offline coleman2347

• ole jarhead, Tacloban City, Leyte
  • Sr Member
  • Retired Marine, Retired DOD
Was looking around and have seen this before but thought it would clarify the debate on the Spratly Islands.
Seems Vietnam, Malaysia, Philippines and China all claim them. 
https://s2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/i0EzR_WcNMOJTqzoA1QCbA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD01MTI7cT03NTt3PTUwNA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_sg/News/AFP/photo_1346985452009-4-0.jpg
The only thing worse than wanting to do it is not doing it

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
Re: What China clames is theirs in the South China Sea, really?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 06:24:52 PM »
I saw a map somewhere online that blew me away.  It was a "maritime borders" map.  It show what Spratly islands were within a smaller distance(i think 5 miles?), a medium distance(20 miles i think) and a longer distance(45 miles or something like that).  It said that these distances are all accepted for maritime "claim" laws.  In not one of these maps did China have a single Spratly island fall inside their maritime borders.  Mean while, between Veitnam and the Phils pretty much every island fell inside their borders.  Malaysia even got a few of the more southern islands. 
After seeing those, it really put it in perspective.  Too bad I can't remember what site I saw those maps on.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 11:34:18 PM »
This map shows the overlap of the major claims
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline Steve & Myrlita

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
  • Myrlita & I and all of our grandchildren.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
It sounds like China has full intentions of claiming everything including The Philippines.
Thank you...God Bless...
Bro Steve & Sis Myrlita
Bacolod City, PH
*** RIP MY FRIEND LEE ***
***       RIP DON H        ***

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
That map does show the claims.  That was also on the site I speak of.  To me what was interesting what the whole "maritime borders" and how in many parts of the world they are used to decide who islands belong to.  And how if those were followed when i comes to the spratly islands, china has no claim. 
I understand that due to the fact that there are a number of islands that following those maps would be claimable by multiple countries that using the maritime border maps is not really going to happen.  It was just interesting to me that the country that pretty much is the furthest away is doing the most claiming and moving the military in to make sure it keeps it.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 10:58:50 PM »
Its been my experience that you can say, do, most anything as long as nobody will do anything about it...I guess a good example is Europe in WW2..Hitler did what what he wanted until he invaded Poland (1 September 1939) before that everybody just talked at him...He finally went too far. Based on what I've read he really did not believe that Britain or France would do anything.  Probably because before all they did was talk.
Are the Spratlys like that?  I dont know, I hope not, but how far will China go?  Guess we will see..a lot of talking has been going on for a long time....Lee

Offline Vicks

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 12:21:27 PM »
As a kid everyone would joke about poor quality goods as being "Made in China".

Recently, one of their fighter planes did a “barrel roll” over the top of a Navy P-8 Poseidon plane, coming within 9 meters of it at one point; passing across the nose of the Navy plane apparently to show that it was armed.

It seems as they grow in weaponry they continue their expansion in the Spratlys.

There have already built an island with a runway there.
Never mistake knowledge for wisdom. One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.
-Sandra Carey

Offline JD

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 01:07:31 PM »
I've been waiting to hear one of China's flunkies call the Philippines the "Southwest China Islands". :(

JD

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 02:03:31 PM »
Yep China does make some cheap stuff, but they are also capable of making some extremely high quality stuff.  for instance I Phones, they have a history of expansionism and will continue until it brings a conflict they dont want. 
The good news is that because of their expanding economy they are venerable to  economic embargo's etc.  As usual its all about money.  The United States is so far in debt to them I seriously doubt they will do anything but talk...
They are now working on aircraft carriers and a host of other weapons including some very good aircraft and some very advanced missiles.
The fly in their ointment is their population and the possible bust of their economy.  Its not my area of expertise but everything I have read makes me believe that...China will I believe be the next super power, and in the future will only be stopped by a coalition of powers.  Just my take on it

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 02:36:53 PM »
Just watched a movie titled "Dragon Day" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70t-dLIrS4
where China attacked the U.S. and took over the country in a not so surprising way,
because of over due debts the U.S. was not willing to pay back to the Chinese government!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/# 
http://www.usdebtclock.org/world-debt-clock.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:30:16 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline Lee2

• Sr Member
  • *** Rest In Peace ***
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 08:03:33 PM »
Just watched a movie titled "Dragon Day" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l70t-dLIrS4
where China attacked the U.S. and took over the country in a not so surprising way,
because of over due debts the U.S. was not willing to pay back to the Chinese government!

http://www.usdebtclock.org/# 
http://www.usdebtclock.org/world-debt-clock.html

Thanks Art for posting that, it is a scary thought. Below is another scary thought.

Shanghai to San Francisco in 100 minutes by Chinese supersonic submarine
http://tinyurl.com/md853wn
New technology developed by a team of scientists at Harbin Institute of Technology's Complex Flow and Heat Transfer Lab has made it easier for a submarine, or torpedo, to travel at extremely high speeds underwater. 
:) Happily married since 1994 & live part of the year in Cebu and the rest in S. Florida.

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 12:51:51 AM »
Let them build their supersonic submarines! Since they're moving so fast under water, even if they have under water sonar I hope they will still run into a bunch of feeding, mating and or migrating whales! Green Peace will have a field day!  ??? ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:55:25 AM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil/Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline coleman2347

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 08:26:38 AM »
considering the problems encountered in designing aircraft in a super sonic state, this would just compound that 1000 fold, it probably can be done given enough time and money, but I doubt any of us will live long enough to have to worry about it...

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 03:39:23 PM »
As a kid everyone would joke about poor quality goods as being "Made in China".

Vicks,

Funny how things change, but remain the same. As a kid back in
the '50's everyone boycotted "goods made in Japan" Just rubbish
"they" said. They may have lost the battle in 1945, but they
dashed sure won the economic/industrial war! I probably won't be alive
to see it, but I betcha "pounds-to-peanuts" they are going to
be a power to reckon with in the future.

Graham

Offline hitekcountry

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2014, 02:29:51 AM »
China is not without its problems. Within the last couple of decades more than half of their rivers have disappeared and the majority of the rest of their rivers have become terribly polluted. . Farmers have turned to well water in order to grow their crops but they have been over pumping the underground to where that supply will soon be depleted.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/3/4175514/china-rivers-disappear-from-the-map-water-supply-crisis
http://dgrnewsservice.org/2013/03/29/more-than-half-of-chinese-rivers-have-disappeared-since-1990s//

“The United Nations considers China one of the 13 countries most affected by water scarcity, as industrial toxins have poisoned historic water sources and were blamed last year for causing the Yangtze to turn an alarming shade of red. This month the carcasses of about 16,000 dead pigs dumped in the river have been pulled from its waters, and 1,000 dead ducks were found dumped this week in the Nanhe River in the southwestern Sichuan province.”

They are going to need to take all they can from “their south China Sea” and don’t kid yourself that they won’t strip everything they can from the Philippine Sea also.

They’re willing to rape and pollute their own country, so does anyone then believe they will be nice enough to leave the oceans around the Philippine’s alone so that the Philippines can feed it’s people while the Chinese people starve?