Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Cellphone load business  (Read 4068 times)

Cellphone load business
« on: March 01, 2008, 01:36:40 PM »
As I shop for the store almost daily, I find I have to ask specific questions without me having to do all of the leg work, we sell load for Sun, Smart and Globe Sims. Wayne

I\'ve been trying to find out from 2 brothers what the initial investment is to starting selling load cards.....still waiting for answers....I think because they don\'t know how to find out.

Can you advise what initial cost is for Smart & Globe....Sun seems less used on Mindanao

Cheers

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
Re: Cellphone load business
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 01:54:50 PM »
Smart is 500p and Globe 1000p you need a special sim, which you get from a wholesaler, you will usually find one in a wet market/dry market or go to a smart centre and they can help you, its about 12.5% profit for each sale, I sell about 500p a day for each.
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »
Cheers mate...doubt they\'l do your volume tho\'.....one is very remote on highway from Butuan to Gingoog (right at the border of their respective provinces) and in the other in barangay 5km east of Butuan

But could be useful little addition to family income

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:01:23 PM »
I was in a mall here with my brother in law a few days ago..He was loading his phone for his small load sideline.
I asked him how these load stores start up in these malls.. He says that they need to sit through a seminar and pay around 300.000PHP membership to the Globe/Smart.
I have no idea how accurate this is or what this membership includes..

Offline arlie

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:05:41 AM »
Could some one please explain to a poor old country boy what this \"load\"business is that you are talking about?  I can load my truck but don\'t know how to load a cell phone.
Thanks  Arlie

???

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 03:08:30 AM »
Arlie,

You can sign a contract with a cell phone service provider just as you can in the US.  More popular by far are pre-paid phones.  You buy the phone independently and sign up with a service provider who sells you a SIM card that gives you a number (and some smarts) that you put into your phone.  You buy time by purchasing \"loads\".  You buy a \"load\" for 300 pesos and use until your 300 pesos are spent and you buy more. 

To answer the original question, anyone can purchase loads and resell them.  We handle them at my sari-sari.  There\'s no great trick to do it, you merely buy them from Globe, Smart or whoever you want.  Then just resell them at a little profit.  There\'s no minimum to get started, just whatever capital you want to start with.

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 03:16:44 AM »
Think of it as multi-level marketing, smart and globe don\'t have bunch of locations so they appoint say 50 national resellers, those guys down line to say 100,000 wholesalers like the guys at the mall, some bigger some smaller, who down line to guys like your brother inlaw, who then resell to the average pinoy. Everyone in the chain takes a cut, when we sell its 12.5%, the guy above us in the chain makes 10% when he sells to us, but 25% if he sells direct, the guys above him make 10% through there sales but 35% if they sell direct etc.

But we all have to sell direct at retail prices, it goes with the tv ads.

Arlie, 90% of phones here are prepaid phones, if you have ever had a prepaid phone from t-mobile or similar you know you go to 7-11 or the supermarket to pickup a prepaid card. Here it is different. A couple of things about phones here, if you bought your US cell phone here with you and it works you are in luck it is probably a tri band or quad band phone, if it does not work, turn it off as it won\'t work over here. Go to the market or mall and have the asawa or gf pick you up a cheap second hand phone, make sure the keyboard is good and the battery is good and make sure to get a charger for it. Next, you have 3 basic choices for service here, Sun, Globe and Smart, all work about the same with similar coverage. Some work better in some areas and vice versa. Here as you may have noticed, hardly anyone talks on their phones they just use them for texting, so putting load on your phone is the same as using a prepaid card to increase your available minutes. But its not called minutes, its called load, load comes in a variety of different denominations, from 2p all the way up to 115p for smart, and then u get your prepaid cards in different denominations as well.

If it is about as clear as mud, your on the right track. Have the asawa explain it, I guarantee it will be less clear when she is finished. Just remember talking on the phone here costs about 6.5p a minute but a text is 1p, and international text is 15p and an international call is .40c a minute usd. Only talk when u have to, text all of the rest of the time. Your average Filipina can txt at about 30 wpm. faster than we can speak, yet when we do it, its generally 1 wpm so ask her to be patient with you and learn the txt lingo. Remove most of the vowels, replace numerals for letters groups of letters, remember the average sms txt here is 160 characters for 1p, 161 becomes 2p. Also delete all punctuation as it is not necessary for a txt. Oh and btw a space between words counts as a character.

So it hs bin gr8 tokn 2 u 2nyt hve a nic day C U soon

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »
Thanks.Pretty much what I thought although I had no idea about how many in the chain.
We brought 15 phones from the UK all second hand from Ebay.. All purchased unlocked and all work fine here. When we have visitors from UK we request they bring their old phones..Of course..An old phone in the UK is not usually much older than a year old contract phone.
Now..I Never owned or used cell phones in the UK and find texing a real chore.. If someone would invent a keyboard for a phone I would be their first customer!!
OK..Here`s anther question.  My wife puts 100.00 P load  on her globe phone. She texts 10 times . 2 days later she checks her credit..Balance P26 pesos. She checks her inbox and finds some junk texts sent by Globe. They charged her for sending them.
She says that she did not open them..Almost like they opened themselves as she opened the inbox. (this has happened many times before)
She calls Globe and they say she needs to unsubscribe these texts..She tells them that she never subscribed in the first instance and asked them to do this for her..She accused them of daylight robbery!! They are investigating!! (yeah right)
Any tips?

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 03:16:13 PM »
Sometimes if she does something like send 222 to 1212 to vote for wowowwee or similar, they will enroll you in something and bill you for any incoming txt. Find out who the texts are from, keep them and then take it to the globe store and see if they can help unsubscribe, some thing done innocently like a new ring tone or a wallpaper can hex you for life.

The other option is to pick up a new sim for 60p and start over.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline Maeara

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 03:20:45 PM »
Related to this cell phone load business, I met a man who was able to invent a gadget that will recharge your cellphone even without the use of an electricity. He uses a battery. It\'s a handy gadget, but he told me it cost 500p a piece. It\'s rather costly for me. But I am sure it will very useful especially when there is brown out and if you are in a remote area where electricity is not available. It is not in the market yet and he has not applied a patent for it.
I do not know if there is such a gadget in the Philippine market.