Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 5754 times)

Gardening
« on: April 17, 2006, 09:46:09 AM »
I am wondering if anyone is starting or continuing their work on a garden this year.
We have been planting seeds and getting a good return of plants.  We have
cucumbers in blossom, tomatoes, several kinds of peppers and several kinds
of watermelon, two kinds of basil and upo, bitter melon, patola and several
other types of squash.  My garden is coming along well but the chickens are
also getting fat as the new seeds are planted.  We had very few beans seeds
produce bean plants.  A neighbor suggested dipping them in kerosene first,
out latest planting was better than in the past.  The ants seems to like seeds
of all types.
Regards,
JJ

Re: Gardening
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 03:23:58 PM »
I am also interested in this topic of gardening too...    . Hopefully we will see more of this here

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 06:28:44 PM »
We have planted peppers, tomatoes, other vegetables and some fruit trees. 
We got a nice recipe for pepper sauce and I am itching to try my hand at
making a batch or two with local ingredients.

Hopefully others will chime in with tips on tropical gardening.  We have to
make our own compost.  We make our own seed boxes and use mostly
local vegetable seeds.  We do use some local hybrid varieties, but most of
the local varieties seem to be open pollunated.  Here seed is given from
one farmer to another.  Few buy seed, and fewer still plant hybrid varieties.

We have learned to make trellis\'s for the larger vines.  Upo needs a lot of
air space.  We have learned to work with pole beans.  Here the aunts like
to run around on the bean vines and often bite when we are trying to
pick the bean pods.  We have also gotten some herbs to grow.  We hope
to get more herbs to grow.  We have been able to grow dill and parsley.
We hope to do better with mint and rosemary.  We have calantro in a pot
but it has not come up yet.  Squash, like zukes, that we had to beat back
with a stick in Houston, seem to have a rough time growing here.

Bugs are a real problem.  Bugs will eat away at your garden more that the
chickens or other animals.  We miss our bug free garden in Houston.
We have also learned to garden in the tropics, it is a lot different than in
a more temporate climate.

JJ

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 08:52:23 PM »
Hi JJ,

Which part of the world are you at? Are you retired in the Philippines as well? I am happy that you are just thrilled about your planting experiences. Its like learning to walk, all over again   ;D

Joshua

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 09:28:29 AM »
Fellow Gardeners:
We did not get too may cucumbers.  The weather and typhoons seem to be against the
production of cucumbers.  We have tomatoes plants in blossom, but few tomatoes.  We also
have few beans where we had bushels before.  We are getting more okra, sweet potato tops
and egg plant than we will ever be able to use.  We give it away.  The relatives seem to be happy
about that.
Hope you gardening is coming along well.
JJ

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 02:40:12 AM »
ok a new topic on gardening..............my very first time posting i just like to read and take it all in.
hgeard about the p.i.since i was born...  1955.  military family.......did my stint in germany 1972-1975.....................2004 made it to the P.i. K1 VISA MARRIED 2 YRS. NOW     2018..if im still kicking......ill be in p.i.........till then building a house for my in-laws.......sending my niece thru nursing school

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 04:18:58 AM »
hello  all,
     anyone running a small store in the province, geared towards the farming folk, or a canteen
 serving working people?...........

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 08:45:38 AM »
My wife used to have a small retail outlet in our town that sold Feed, Rice and Vet supplies for chickens. When she first started she was the only outlet in the town for these items.  She had a very clean and neat store with a complete line of vet supplies for animals.  Also there  was a major cock pit very close to her store and she had all the cock fighters buying vitamins etc for their fighting cocks from her every Sunday

She averaged around 150- 250 USD per week net after paying all the help etc not bad for our area The store was always busy but after about 6 months there were 3 other stores competing with her she finally gave-it up when the profits went to about 25 USD per week

Today there are 6-7  shops selling feed supplies in town all just barley surviving the problem with a business here  is if you do have a good idea and it works and people can copy it for just a little money better believe that you will have more competitors then you can shake a stick at in a few weeks

Good Luck on your Venture

Best Regards

Tom

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 02:52:53 AM »
Here is something to plant for you fans of fire...

The worlds hottest pepper...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 05:43:00 AM »
We have about 220 sq meters of garden area now. Mostly I\'m trying imported veggie seeds to get some variety. But, not having much luck with melon seeds or big tomatoes and the California sweet corn isn\'t doing well either, local corn does great. Carrot seeds from WA takes forever to get big enough to cut up.

I\'ve started some seeds of Kale and Beets, (not available in this area),  in a NPK 2-12-2 compost and some herbs. Who know????
B-Ray

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2008, 06:00:21 AM »
B-Ray are you officially allowed to bring seeds in from overseas or do you just forget to mention them?

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2008, 09:30:41 AM »
I shipped in the Balikbayan boxes some seeds and others coming here has brought me some from their country.  I don\'t think there\'s a problem with seeds? It\'s the plants that\'s a problem.

But no, I don\'t think anyone has declared. I sure didn\'t and I did carry some on the plane in my check-in. I just figured they would taken if there\'s a problem and plant them, themselves?  ;D
B-Ray

B-Ray are you officially allowed to bring seeds in from overseas or do you just forget to mention them?

Offline BigBird

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 02:21:21 AM »
SSShhhhhhhhhh.........

I put some Silver Queen sweet corn seeds in my luggage.  Will know in 5 days if they take it away. 

Pink pop corn!   ;)

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 02:32:40 AM »
B-Ray,

If you listen to any of the reports about the biofuel debates in the US, they all mention that the corn requires plenty of water and fertilizer to grow. It might not be so with California Sweet Corn, but it couldn\'t hurt, as for the local stuff, I\'d say they have adapted for local conditions, how to prepare the land, how much water etc. Maybe talking to a local farmer about what they do before planting might give you some pointers.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 09:54:09 AM »
What I said about the sweet corn was from my wife that cares for the garden. She figured it wasn\'t because it didn\'t get to 6\' tall like the local corn. We pick yesterday the 4 test plants, (planted 2-25), and they were as sweet as the Green Giant Nibblets corn in the can! That\'s what I\'m talking about!!!  I got 12 more in the starter row now. ;D

BTW, the name is Burpee select Chubby Checkers hybrid seeds.
B-Ray

B-Ray,

If you listen to any of the reports about the biofuel debates in the US, they all mention that the corn requires plenty of water and fertilizer to grow. It might not be so with California Sweet Corn, but it couldn\'t hurt, as for the local stuff, I\'d say they have adapted for local conditions, how to prepare the land, how much water etc. Maybe talking to a local farmer about what they do before planting might give you some pointers.

Wayne