Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Turn Tuba Into Sugar  (Read 2934 times)

Turn Tuba Into Sugar
« on: July 15, 2008, 09:33:14 AM »
I have copied this from our Filipino Club board as a point that a business can earn money here if you know how & with what:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=1412.0

Here is something I would like to share which can also be a source of income to Filipinos who instead of drinking it and get drunk, why not convert it to something sweet? Here is something odd but useful.

Turn Tuba Into Sugar

By

Melchor F. Cichon

Can you turn tuba into sugar?

That is true.

Tuba or coconut toddy contains 12 to 18% sugar. It is extracted from the bud of the coconut\'s inflorescence.

So when its water content is removed, what remains is sugar.

And the process is easy. Just boil the coconut toddy in moderate heat with constant stirring. At 115 degrees Centigrade, the liquid thickens. The thickened sap is removed from the heat under continuous stirring. After air-drying, the thickened sap breaks into granules. That becomes your natural and organic sugar.

And that becomes your healthy source of sweetening.

But one will ask: Is this coconut sugar free from alcohol?

Definitely yes because alcohol evaporates when heated. So no intoxication.

Reports say that one kilo of coconut sugar costs PhP100.00. It further says that a farmer can earn an annual income of almost PhP600,000 from the coconut sap of 100 coconut trees.

Source: Barona, Maria Lizbeth Severa J. April-June 2006. From tuba to sugar; no more intoxicating than sweetening. BAR R & D Digest, pp.5.

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
Re: Turn Tuba Into Sugar
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 10:00:31 AM »
That\'s an interesting science project, but at P100 a kilo that seems to be a less-than-attractive alternative to the P35-40 conventional sugar runs. I can fathom most coconut farmers drawing the obvious conclusion that booze is still a lot more marketable than a staple commodity at better than twice the price of all other supplies.
That\'s not chicken.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 10:18:22 AM »
Just checked with my in-laws. A jug, 5gal,† of Leyte tuba goes for 250 peso.

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 07:01:26 PM »
Just checked with my in-laws. A jug, 5gal,† of Leyte tuba goes for 250 peso.

Lord knows I\'m no Bill Nye, but some calculation, assuming an average sugar content of 15%, means 5 gal of tuba yields 0.18 kg sugar, which at P100/kg is of course, 18 pesos. Like I said, A for creativity but F for practical application.
That\'s not chicken.

Offline Flt Simulation

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 01:35:22 PM »
For any members that don\'t know what a bottle of Tuba looks like, here is a photo of a plastic jug of it plus a photo of a guy up in a coconut palm tree getting the Tuba.

This 1 gal jug cost me 45 pesos. Cheap drunk, and will give you the \'squirts\' for 2 days straight if you attempt to drink alot of it.

It says PURE on the bottle .... PURE Rot-Gut!

Never again for me!†

Out of Stock Sir !

Offline Maeara

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »
Thanks for the comments.
If you will notice, the date of my source is 2006, that could probably answer the question on the costing.
The point here is the possibility that tuba can be a good source of sugar.
Thanks anyway.