Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Bagoong  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Maeara

• Sr Member
Bagoong
« on: July 18, 2008, 09:55:43 AM »
Here is another idea that can also create job and income for our brothers and sisters. Sorry, I can\'t give cost analysis, just the idea.

A Breakthrough: Instant Bagoong

by

Melchor F. Cichon

Everybody is familiar with instant coffee, instant salabat, instant noodles, etc. But nobody has heard or even thought of someone producing instant bagoong—that smelly , yet sought after Filipino delicacy.

Yes, Instant Bagoong!

It is now possible to produce this appetizer instantly and enjoy its taste and aroma just like the traditional bagoong. Aside from that, it is now possible to transport this product anywhere without hearing any unpleasant comments from seatmates.
This breakthrough was developed in 1996 by then an undergraduate student, Liza Marie T. Jaranilla of the College of Fisheries, University of the Philippines in the Visayas (CF-UPV), Miag-ao, Iloilo. CF-UPV is now called College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, University of the Philippines Visayas (CFOS-UPV).

In her thesis entitled “Development of a Cabinet-Dried and Vacuum Dried ‘Bagoong’ as a  Potential Convenience Food item,” Jaranilla points out that the appearance of the Instant Bagoong she produced resembled that of the traditional bagoong when it was rehydrated or mixed with water.

The product produced by Jaranilla is still in its preliminary stage, but once it is given enough funding for its product development, this technology will earn millions of peso for the Filipinos.

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
Re: Bagoong
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »
There you go! I knew you\'d find a good one. Depends what the process is to dessicate the product, that could drive up the cost a little, but that would be made up in shelf life and a significant reduction in packaging and transport costs. And if marketed correctly, I think it would catch on.
That\'s not chicken.

Re: Bagoong
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:12:50 PM »
It would be interesting to know the date of that report or idea!

Apparently, it\'s being done these days as, \"dried/salted fish\", in at least some parts of the country.
B-Ray