Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Top 10 Visayan Phrases  (Read 7433 times)

Offline Ricky A

• Sr Member
Top 10 Visayan Phrases
« on: January 11, 2012, 02:15:53 AM »
it would behoove anyone who is travelling in the republic to learn the basic greetings and a few other words for basic kano endearment....  The locals will love you more than they already do in direct proportion to how well you have the local dialect down.

here are my personal top 10 Visayan phrases that have helped me tremendously.  note that all visayan phrases will be written phoenetically (they sound exactly how they\'re written)

\"Good morning\"  :  ma-eye-yong bune-tog
\"Good afternoon\"  ma-eye yong hapon
\"Good evening:  ma-eye yong gabee-ee (note...when it gets dark and you pass someone on the road then \"B-E\" suffices
\"THank you\"  salamaat
\"You\'re welcome\"  waleye-sap-eye-en
\"No\" :  dee-ko
\"Whats your name\"  : on si emong allan?
\"WHere are you going\"  :  asaka pa dong?
\"Can I come\"   : obunko?
\"you want to come\"  :  \"obunka?
\"later\"  : onjutna

you will be surprised at just how much mileage you can get from these simple phrases....for instance...the extra phrase i added #11...is extremely important since people are always asking you for stuff....eg....\"Can I have your shoes\"....instead of an abrupt \"no\" you can now say....\"dee-ko salamat...onjunta\"  (\"no thank you....later\")   which they have a good laugh over but don\'t take litteraly..

note:  the \"obunko and obunka will bring nothing but uprorious laughter since apparently only little kids use these words...\"

rick :D
B E   O F   S I N G L E    A I M  ;   H A V E   A   L E G I T I M A T E    A N D    U S E F U L  
P U R P O S E   A N D   D E V O T E   Y O U R S E L F   U N R E S E R V E D L Y   T O   I T

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: Top 10 Visayan Phrases
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:08:33 AM »
Ricky is so right on this!  I can\'t over-emphasize how much it\'s appreciated when you make an attempt to use the local dialect in your everyday dealings.    

Think about it.  When people are polite to you and say \"please\", \"thank you\" or \"you\'re welcome\" it makes you feel more comfortable wherever you are.  If everyone learned simple, basic phrases and used them at every chance, it would give the locals a much better impression of expats, no matter where you are from.  It certainly works for me!   :)

Good post Ricky!   :)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

willisch1

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:17:51 AM »
You may have wanted to add the visaya word for OK.  And again my spelling is certainly wrong, I\'m positive my spelling is wrong - cie gay.  That\'s how it sounds.  And I second Grey Wolf\'s comment.  The little visaya I knew got me a long way while in Isabel.  Everyone really appreciated being greeted in their native tongue.

Bill

Offline Ricky A

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:35:31 AM »
You may have wanted to add the visaya word for OK.  And again my spelling is certainly wrong, I\'m positive my spelling is wrong - cie gay.  That\'s how it sounds.  And I second Grey Wolf\'s comment.  The little visaya I knew got me a long way while in Isabel.  Everyone really appreciated being greeted in their native tongue.

Bill

hi bill

yes...a good one to add... the way to pronouce it properly however is sigee (the \"si\" is pronounced like the first syllable of \"cigarette\"

and \"gee\" ryhmes with key....and the \"g\" is soft as in \"get\"

\"palehoge\" for \"please\" is also a must

regards
rick
B E   O F   S I N G L E    A I M  ;   H A V E   A   L E G I T I M A T E    A N D    U S E F U L  
P U R P O S E   A N D   D E V O T E   Y O U R S E L F   U N R E S E R V E D L Y   T O   I T

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:05:32 PM »
This is one of the confusing things for many foreigners.  Some words are common to both Tagalog as well as Visayan (Bisayan), common spelling, but very different pronunciation. 

sige - se-gay in Tagalog and si-gee in Visayan

lechon (as in lechon baboy - roasted pig)  leh-chon in Tagalog  lee-chon in Visayan

Want to have some fun?  Have someone recite the alphabet in Visayan while you listen.   :D   ;D  ;D

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH