Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Philippine Senate Impeachment Trial  (Read 9219 times)

Offline bigrod

• Retired USAF Club Mgmt Supt, Personnel Supt & 1st Sgt
  • Administrator
  • Sr Member
Philippine Senate Impeachment Trial
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:39:53 PM »
The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines Renato C. Corona has been convicted by the Senator Judges.  Guilty 20, Not Guilty 3.  Maybe democracy is alive and maturing.  We will see.

Chuck
Life is  to short not to live it right the first time

Offline oneiloilokano

• Sr Member
Re: Philippine Senate Impeachment Trial
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 07:18:07 AM »
It\'s a big step in the right direction. Will he spend any time in jail or pay any other penality other than being removed from office ? I doubt it  >:(

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:09:24 AM »
Internal Revenue and Office of Ombudsman looking at charges, since he has been removed from office.

Chuck

Offline Metz

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:48:25 AM »
It is just a big show, the so called senator judges are just as if not more corrupt than the judge.  TV Patrol had a thing where the PNP declaired that the judges Chevy Suburban had fake vin number.  I noticed that it was uparmored also.  Up-armored vehicles always have the vin tag moved around when they install the armored glass.  I am suspecting that the PNP show was just another fake show. 

I dont support the judge or the Senators, they are all corrupt.  Even the NPA is corrupt and is more of a extortion mafia racket than anything.

Offline bigrod

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »
Did not see anything on the VIN, but saw that licence plate number belongs to a company truck in Cebu or Mindanao.  Supposedly the reason the vehicle was impounded.

Chuck

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 10:33:36 AM »
It is just a big show, the so called senator judges are just as if not more corrupt than the judge.  TV Patrol had a thing where the PNP declaired that the judges Chevy Suburban had fake vin number.  I noticed that it was uparmored also.  Up-armored vehicles always have the vin tag moved around when they install the armored glass.  I am suspecting that the PNP show was just another fake show.  

I dont support the judge or the Senators, they are all corrupt.  Even the NPA is corrupt and is more of a extortion mafia racket than anything.

I agree. Enrile (preceding judge) was an ex Marcos crony that defected just a week or so before that particular admin left for Hawaii..  
I imagine most of his cash is still in Swiss Francs.
I think Corona knew he would be impeached and managed to give the Aquino`s and Cojanco`s one last kick in the head when his supreme court handed back the land to the locals at Hacienda Luisita a few weeks back..
Politics...Dirty business..
Not Onli in di Pilipins though eh?

Offline fred

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »
Sorry!! x2

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »
 ???  ???  ???  ???  ???  ???
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline brett4gam

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • A happy retired Aussie living a relaxing lifestyle
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
We all know that there is a lot of corruption here in PH, but lets face it, the cleanup has to start somewhere, personally I think this is a good step in the right direction, the flow on effect on this determination will have ramifications on all Public Servants here.

Personally I was pleased with the decision, its a move to better transparency and accountability, sadly lacking in most, if not all, financial transactions of a business nature here.

Brett.
I have never seen the world brighter and less prosperous.

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 08:51:59 PM »
We all applaud the recent decision to crack down on corruption then on the other hand some expats show up and continue to pay PHP under the table to Fixer\'s and such, and it\'s adding fuel to the fire. Maybe its time to take a stand and do it right!  ::) 8)

Offline rdjlazo@yahoo.com

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 04:48:39 AM »
On Hacienda Luisita. Cojuanco and Aquino lost that one already, they just need to be compensated for the land they lost
and awarded to the farmers. The intent of the agrarian reform law is for the farmers to own the land
they are working on a landlord tenant agreement after several years. The bad effect is many of the tenant who won the ownership of the land they are working end up losing it through high interest  mortgage or selling it for quick money and end up poorer after a few years.
Not all good farmers are good farm operators that need a lot of business mgt know how and discipline. Gambling ,womanizing
and drinking is not part of it. Again good law for the right farmer and bad for the wrong farmer with no discipline and knowledge.
Intent  of the law is to help  but the result is not that good. Another bad real estate law is one that prohibits foreigner ownership
except condo. That\'s why the cost of land ownership in the Phils is way lower compared to Malaysia, Indonesian Thailand and
Vietnam and others specially Oil palm, rubber tree and other high value crop producing farms. Check it at the internet  Oil and rubber tree lands starts as waste land and turned into crop producing land but cost big money to start  and take 5 to 6 years
to be productive so small farmers cannot start it unless they have enough  money to sustain the farm so they lease them to big farm operators  with enough capital. If it the 2 laws above does not exist the land poor farmers own can be sold for way more money. Two law with good intention but bad for the farmers in the end. But if you have a control of a corporation you can own as much land as you want but again there is a limit of number of shares a foreigner can own into the corporation but many foreigners
have a way of doing it specially Asian non Filipino nationals. It\'s not the ownership of the corpoation but the control of it.
Lot\'s of bad things here bu many good things here also
that\'s why many of us are here. We catnnot change the world or the Philippines but we can change and make a difference
on our close relatives and neighbors.   I try to solve problems in my own little ways and help poorer people
every opportunity I have. I don\'t mean to offend anybody. Rudy