Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Ant\'s, what else should I expect  (Read 2723 times)

rcrawford

Ant\'s, what else should I expect
« on: May 31, 2008, 03:52:36 AM »
Those ant\'s sound tough, is this typical everywhere in the RP? How about mosquitoes, are they as bad? I have to admit, I hate mosquitoes and annoying ants. Did I just kill my plans for moving to the RP?

Rick C

TCummings8

Re: Ant\'s, what else should I expect
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 06:39:19 AM »
A real good trick that is easy to use for controlling/ridding your home or patio of mosquito\'s is to get a bottle of original Listerine, I mean the yellow kind that was first produced without all the flavors and additives. Get a spray bottle and spray your home, doors, windows, etc... with the straight Listerine, do not dilute. This will help greatly in controlling the mosquito\'s. A easy home remedy for ants is to place a few bay leaves at the points they use for entering. I know this sounds funny, but it works.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 06:59:09 AM »
Those ant\'s sound tough, is this typical everywhere in the RP? How about mosquitoes, are they as bad? I have to admit, I hate mosquitoes and annoying ants. Did I just kill my plans for moving to the RP?

Rick C

Rick,

We\'re talking about South East Asia, buddy.  Rice paddies and jungle.  Of course there are mosquitoes.  But it\'s funny.  I live in Louisville, KY a fairly metropolitan area and I have more mosquitoes than what I experienced in the RP.  There are areas where malaria is prevalent in the RP and dengue fever as well.  But some common sense will help keep them away from you.  I used Cutter\'s Deep Woods with DEET and never got bit one time.  In fact, I\'ve been bit more times in my backyard in Louisville than in the RP! 
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Rufus S

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 09:18:15 AM »
Jack, you\'re right. I didn\'t know about Kentucky, but in Florida the mosquitoes are much larger - and more plentiful, as well. I\'ve heard that a natural repellant for them is simple body odor. I\'m not sure about whether it works with repelling mosquitoes, but I\'m positive it works to repel humans VERY well  :o ;)!

Rufus S

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 09:42:20 AM »

Rick C

Hi Rick,

I live on palawan where there is malaria, but mosquitoes here are only looked on as a nuisance rather than a big problem. Most of my wifes family live way out in the provinces with no glass in the house windows. We lived there for many months and at night you could hear the mosquitoes buzzing a few inches away from your head just outside the mosquito net. The family has lived there all there lives and only a few of them have ever caught malaria, and because the doctors are very familiar with it it is easily and quickly treated. You need to remember that  a mosquito is not born carrying malaria they have to bite someone that has it in order to transfer it. The house we rent is fully screened so we don\'t need nets at night, and when we go to bed we switch on an insect killer. We have a neighbour that has no side wall to their sleeping area and they often don\'t use nets because it is too hot. They get bitten but don\'t have malaria.

Dengue is a different problem. It is carried by mosquitoes that feed during the day and can be found anywhere in the Philippines even in places like Manila. It is not very common and not something to worry about providing you take sensible precautions. Here the authorities mist spray all the gardens once a year.

Ants are far more of a nuisance  ;D

Colin

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:03:08 AM »
Mosquitoes are a nuisance, and red ants bite worse than alligators and lawyers combined, but its the bees to watch out for, they are big \" almost 2 inches\" black in color and they bite, whenever one makes it into my office, I spray and leave. Dems nasty buggers.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D