Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Lifestyle  (Read 16882 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Lifestyle
« on: December 31, 2007, 05:01:37 AM »
Colin,

Just remember \'The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence\'. While the temperate here is not too bad at the moment, there are times when a bit of \'coolness\' would be welcomed

I\'ve always been able to deal with heat and humidity much easier than cold weather.  I guess we\'re all different but the weather in the RP is perfect for me.  I\'ve always said it\'s much easier to wipe the sweat from my brow than to try to warm my frost bitten fingers and toes.  Besides, we plan to live in or around Vigan, Ilocos Sur and if things get too hot we can always find a bit of respite in the mountains just to the east.  In fact, we may build a weekend retreat home somewhere for that sole purpose.  I can certainly see me sitting on the veranda of my little weekend cottage looking out across some valley at the lush green mountainsides far away from the heat, humidity and insects.  Aaaahhhh!  Heaven on earth for this old Kentucky boy!

Jack
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Re: Lifestyle
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 06:41:47 AM »
Jack,

As you say, we are all different. I find it easy to add a few more layers of clothes in the cold but when you are down to the skin in the heat there is not much more you can do. Fan are essential and I do spend a lot of time in my air conditioned \'computer room\'. We are surrounded here by houses and trees, but our new lot is very open and should be a lot fresher.

Colin

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 08:21:41 AM »
Having the air moving is a big help.  When we were last in Novaliches, it was very confined feeling.  To get any air at all I had to go up on the roof terrace.  Not exactly comfy up there and all we had to sit under was a beach umbrella.  But at least you got a little air moving around you.  At night it was much better, especially up on the rooftop.  Being confined in a small crowded barrio is very hot, I agree.  That\'s why I insist on having a home built with a large piece of property so we can have room to move around and allow fresh air to move through.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 02:35:48 PM »
That\'s why I insist on having a home built with a large piece of property so we can have room to move around and allow fresh air to move through.

My minimum requirement for a lot was 1000 sq. mtrs. and we eventually bought one at 1500sq. mtrs. and the nearest house is several hundred meters away. The lot is only 15 metres wide but 100 metres deep and I will build the main house towards the back. That way if I eventually get neighbours, they will probably build near the front and I will still be in the clear. I am also thinking of building a covered \'Crows Nest\' above the second flow and equipping it with a hammock  :)

Colin

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »
Oh absolutely!  At the very least I want a roof terrace to take advantage of the evening breeze.  I\'ve seen many homes being built with \"lookout towers\" or \"crows nests\".  I never fully understood them until my last visit where I spent many hours up on the rooftop enjoying the view and fresh air away from all the hustle and bustle of life on the ground.  A nice duyan fits the need very well!

Offline Mike M.

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:20:54 AM »
Can I join?  Just a snapshot about our house, property and life style.  I\'m 68, retired psychologist.  My wife is 38, computer engineer.  We have 2 boys. 

We bought our small compound (5,000 sq m) at the back of a larger compound in a barangay on the edge of Malolos, the capitol city of 175,000. The compound is inside of a 6 foot concrete embroidered fence that is topped by a 5\' ornate pointed steel fence.  We are off the roads a distance of 200 yards and miss the road noise.

We hang orchid plants all around on the fences.  At Christmas the fence proudly holds our lights and illuminates the neighborhood.  The property is bordered on one side by a large rice field that changes colors 3 times a year as the crop is planted, grows and is harvested. In the wet season it is a large, beautiful blue lake.  On another side is a large tilapia pond that periodically is drained, sometimes shrimp planted, and always when drained the natives digging for mud fish using electric prods.  From the windows one gets the impression of living next to a lake.

Across from us are high end rental units (7,000/mo) where middle income families live for longer periods of time.  We adjoin a house built and owned by a Filipino businessman.

Our house is 2500 sq meters, railroad style, tile floors.  Bay windows throughout, covered with locking bars and screens.  We cook in a dirty kitchen outside the house but inside of a small open concrete room covered room.  We have a 1200 sq meter tiled pavillion area covered by frame and steel insulated sheet roof.  Its never hot in the small pavillion.  In this area we have some tables and chairs, a bar and bar stools,  a pool table, treadmill, sons\' drum set, etc. We sit out at night with a glass of wine.   The remaining 1200 sq foot area is a maintained blue grass lawn.  We have 3 large fruit yielding mango trees and throughout our compound we have a wide variety of different plants that blossom unexpectedly.

The house has 4 bedrooms, two are owned by my 2 sons, 11 and 13 and one is used by our 2 katulong.  My wife and I have the last. We have a built in garage that houses our owner-type-jeep and we park our Ford pickup in the driveway in front.

I teach at university, conduct service projects in jails, orphanages, residences for mentally ill, and street school.  My wife manages our restaurants and meat processing plant.  She is in an MBA program at the U.  I am president of a Rotary Club and she is secretary of another RC.    The kids go to private school, regularly visit cousins a couple of towns away, go swimming, play electronic games, basketball, and young teen stuff.  I play tennis a couple of times a week and my wife plays badminton 3 times each week. Semi annually I beat a golf ball to death.  We go to Manila to see Fe\'s family once a month; we take dried fish and rice.  My wife\'s mom (separated from dad early on) works in our restaurant and has her own life. Sometimes we go to Olongapo.  I am boat-sick and keep eyeing a 35 year old, 30 foot cabin cruiser that the guy wants me to take for 1.5.  Twin outboard 250\'s.  The brown river is 20 minutes from the house and the only landing within 2 hour drive.  This is gonna be a heartache.  Down the brown river to the bay is an hour and across the bay to Manila is 30 minutes. 

Our property was 2 million with all of the improvements and the house was 1.5 million with many improvements. $70,000 for all at the time of construction.  Our retirement income is about $3200 stateside and maybe $1000 here.  Our bills/living costs are about 100,000 ($2200)  a month  (a/c at 16,000!!). We invest some in new construction (building a boutiqe near the resto),  manage to put away about 25,000 ($500)  each month after out of pocket expenses- which get out of hand quickly..  We travel, eat where we like, buy things that interest us.       

I share all of this with a small intrepidation hoping it won\'t get back.  We never talk about our income or expenses to anyone here.

Life has never been better for either of us.  In the US I lived a 6 figure life, but was always in debt and always working.  Here, I live a productive, interesting, relaxing life with a beautiful wife half my age.  Aint it grand?

Mike M.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 08:13:21 AM »
Awesome post Mike!  You have what I want!   ;D ;D   Do you have a digital camera?  I\'d love to see your lanai, yard and fruit trees.  Gloria and I plan to have something similar to what you describe.  If you can, and don\'t mind, would you share some pictures of your home?  You don\'t need to share anything that would intrude on your privacy, but a shot or two of your yard, flowering plants and patio/bar area would be very nice.

Thanks for being with us, Mike!  And thanks for sharing and for caring about the people of the Philippines.

Your friend,
Jack 

Offline MikeOnQuest

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »
I really enjoy these kinds of posts... as they help me build my dream abode in my mind :). Im only 37 so i have plenty of time to dream etc.

Mike J.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

mupsuit

Re: Lifestyle - thanks Mike M
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 01:31:16 AM »

Hello Mike M

Many thanks for such an informative post this really add value to all the information available on the forum. Your post has been helpful in understanding what can be achieved against what it cost

Hope you get round to some photos as requested by Graywolf I\'d love to see those too

Offline Mike M.

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 07:00:34 AM »
You\'re welcome guys, it was my intention to fan the blaze.  In spite of the over-population here, I endorse bringing in retirement money since its one of the mainstays of the islands.  This is a win-win proposition where life can be a paradise and where the reciprocation starts at immigration..::)).    Jack, I will take some pictures when the drying clothes are removed from the view and the sun is higher.  In fact, I think I\'ll make some pancakes and bacon to go with my coffee and eat it outside (as usual) with a glass of chilled mango juice.  I\'ll leave the mess I make in the kitchen to the katulong who has been with us for 5 years and who earns 2,500 month plus SS and health insurance.   Mike M.

Offline Mike M.

• Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »
Check the photos in the photo section.. Mike M.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 11:29:56 AM »
  Jack, I will take some pictures when the drying clothes are removed from the view and the sun is higher.  In fact, I think I\'ll make some pancakes and bacon to go with my coffee and eat it outside (as usual) with a glass of chilled mango juice.   Mike M.

You\'re killing me, Mike, you\'re killing me.    ;D ;D ;D

I\'m sooooo jealous!  In a good way, of course.    :D

Looking forward to those pics, bro! 

Thanks pare!

Jack

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
  • This account is now being used by his widow
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 02:02:02 PM »
Jack, i saved that pic view of Lou, Ky.... thats an angle view from clarksville side near the park or from a boat near my home side... :\'(.........  :o
Effective November 2014 this account is now being used by Lar, Shortman's widow.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 02:08:39 AM »
Yep, you got that right, bro.  You\'ll also notice that it\'s from a few years back when \"The Falls Fountain\" was in operation. 

So, you\'re from Clarksville?  Cool!  Soon I\'ll be one of those guys \"from\".   ;D ;D

Take care, bro!

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
  • This account is now being used by his widow
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 01:05:15 PM »
I\'m really an old jeffersonville boy, but you know how that is, one step and your in clarksville, another step and your in new albany.... i lived for many years out cane run road near St. Denis, bought a home there once cause i worked at rohm and haas on camp ground road..22 years there and now retired, needed a warm climate to accommodate an long time army related illness...thanks for the reply..wish you a smooth transmission here and a very happy future...
Effective November 2014 this account is now being used by Lar, Shortman's widow.