Living in The Philippines > Languages, Learning History, Politics etc.

Found this today, is decidly toward Marcos but I found it interesting

<< < (3/6) > >>

fred:
Coleman..

Its not so much about opinions but what happened in actual fact..
Marcos`s first term was was a productive one and thats hard to deny.. He set records as far as infrastructure development goes but unfortunately it all went pear shaped after that.
After he declared martial law in 73 due to mass demonstrations and to secure a third term he began to sequester large private businesses and install his cronie kiss assess to take control of them..He dispensed of monopoly laws that kept them in his favour as they went on to build their national social and industrial empires.. This group of individuals were given tax exemptions etc and then the crony capitalist system plus mass corruption evolution evolved.
The P.I trade deficit rose to well over one billion $$`s(back when 1 Billion $$ was a lot of money) and the s*** was about to hit the fan for the Filipino people..
When I arrived in 1980,a naive and stupid kid drinking SMB in local sari sari stores, naturally being a little inquisitive about P.I politics etc I was often warned by friends not to mention or ask questions about Marcos etc as these places were full of Barangay Tanods,Councillors etc that quite often relayed such conversations to the Barangay chairman..
I heeded the advice real quick as I learned of how people were "salvaged" and regularly found in sacks in vacant lots the next day.
A lot of people in Manila (Certainly not all) would speak fondly of the martial law days.. Many married women for example felt far more secure as their husbands were forced to break the habit of a life time and go straight home after work instead of their previous long visits of pleasure with their mistresses!! (due to a strict evening curfew)
If you look at all the facts that are freely available these days,its really not that hard to find out about the incredible damage that the Marcos regime inflicted on the Filipino people and the repercussions that can still be witnessed to this very day.
Bahala ka jan!!

fred:

--- Quote ---the country could get back to the economic status it use to have and not continue to spiral into political and economic chaos.
--- End quote ---

Like it or not..The Philippine economy has been booming since the last 3 years GMA was President!!

Now? Possibly the fastest growing economy in Asia!

Philippine economy ‘well positioned’

http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php?section=TopStory&title=Philippine-economy-%E2%80%98well-positioned%E2%80%99&id=90514

paulgee:

--- Quote from: fred on July 10, 2014, 09:51:52 PM ---
--- Quote ---the country could get back to the economic status it use to have and not continue to spiral into political and economic chaos.
--- End quote ---

Like it or not..The Philippine economy has been booming since the last 3 years GMA was President!!

Now? Possibly the fastest growing economy in Asia!

Philippine economy ‘well positioned’

http://www.bworldonline.com/content.php?section=TopStory&title=Philippine-economy-%E2%80%98well-positioned%E2%80%99&id=90514

--- End quote ---

Reading that article, and reading elsewhere reports, comments and forecasts about the 'improving' Philippines eceonomy my only thought is: When will the average man in the street see a difference in his standard of living.

I suspect that any growth in the economy, and associated inward flow of monies, will only help the rich grow stronger and leave the 'normal' people in the same situation they are in now.

I have known my wifes family for over 6 years, and they and their relatives don't appear any better off, and neither are there any improvements in infrastructure, health care and government support etc which they could point at. To me this is the true test of an improving economic situation, not hopeful reports of a booming Philippines economy.

Regretfully I don't have enough knowledge of the Marcos era to add anything to the argument, but I know that a lot of Filipinos still support him for the things he did do, though in his case it was ultimately absolute power corrupting absolutely.

fred:

--- Quote ---I have known my wifes family for over 6 years, and they and their relatives don't appear any better off, and neither are there any improvements in infrastructure, health care and government support etc
--- End quote ---

Do you think it was a life full of blissful social care in the Marcos era even with the low levels of population compared with today?
Actually,I don't believe I have ever seen so much infrastructure development in this country then I have seen in the last 5 years..
Thats an honest statement based on my experience whilst living in Bohol anyway..

coleman2347:
I first set foot in the Philippines as a young man on the way to another tropical paradise somewhere around September 1967, intermittently from then until Sept 1970 I returned.  Then in Sept 70 I left Asia to return to the US.

In Sept 1978 having completed my degree I returned to Okinawa where we flew throughout Asia.  One of our primary jobs was the re-fueling of aircraft coming out of Guam.  To accomplish this we were based in either Clark or Subic.  From 78 until 92 I spent usually 6 months out of every year in one of those two locations. During that time I think I got a fairly good view of the Philippines though admittedly limited in area and scope.
 However most of my time when I was not flying was spent in the provinces. barrios and not in Olongapo or Angeles City.  I was here when Pinatubo blew and took part in both the relief and rescue/recovery efforts.  I also took part in the base pullout when they closed.  Most of my friends at the time (not counting the guys I worked with) were Filipino. 

I can only compare my experiences from then to my experiences since I have been here this time.  I returned March 2011. 
It seemed to me that the average Filipino was far better off at least economically  then than they are now.    I live in Leyte now, an though its much more rural than where I was in Luzon when your talking about the economics now, I suppose its a fair comparison.   I see a lot of desperation now I did not see before.
  I have the opportunity to see both Tacloban City and the provinces south of us almost everyday.
  More than that I have made it kinda a mission to talk to the older Filipinos that were here during WW2 to get first hand knowledge of how it was then as the history of that time is one of my hobbies.
  Invariably during the conversations the time of Marcos comes up and all I can say is having talked to over a hundred older (quite old) men and women, not one has said anything but they wish Marcos was back.

I can only make judgements based on what I have been told by those that lived it and my personal observations. 
As far as infrastructure I can only base that on what I saw when I was here before and what I see now, mostly based on schools, hospitals and roads.  Most of the schools in my area were built during the Marcos administration as were the hospitals and roads and if you went there the maintenance was pretty much non existent . 

However at the moment due to Yolanda several NGO's are rebuilding both the schools and the Hospitals.  NGO's not the government.

I looked up comparative economic status between now and then and yes according to the figures GNP is up now.
Quoting the World Bank
Filipinos who go aboard to work–-known as Overseas Filipino Workers or OFWs—are a significant contributor to the economy but are not reflected in the below sectoral discussion of the domestic economy. OFW remittances is also credited for the Philippines' recent economic growth resulting to investment status upgrades from credit ratings agencies such as the Fitch Group and Standard & Poor's.

I have always wondered why a country would export its brightest people when they are needed so much here.
I suppose we could discuss this for days and weeks, both sides of the coin are correct in many ways but I doubt anybody on this forum can effect change other than our respective families. ....Lee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version