Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Discussing the bad side of RP?  (Read 4545 times)

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
Discussing the bad side of RP?
« on: April 02, 2008, 11:32:01 PM »
how about some good news about this \"povertystricken country\" ok michael ..................
         ....gloom and doom dont phase me, but thats why when cpt. Ron asks.. we had all these guests but no sign ons ..........well........................most people are to scared to come to the PI anyway
 but,.................heck...................i love it where im at and will be...... no foreigners to add to the mix
 life goes on ....................ive made things better for my family as im sure you have . good job thats all we can do  billy2002

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
Re: Discussing the bad side of RP?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:29:05 AM »
how about some good news about this \"povertystricken country\" ok michael ..................
         ....gloom and doom dont phase me, but thats why when cpt. Ron asks.. we had all these guests but no sign ons ..........well........................most people are to scared to come to the PI anyway
 but,.................heck...................i love it where im at and will be...... no foreigners to add to the mix
 life goes on ....................ive made things better for my family as im sure you have . good job thats all we can do  billy2002

If only wishing could make it so I would be happy to report the good news. However, I agree with your last point. When all is said and done, all we can do is try to contribute to improving the quality of life for a few people.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 03:23:32 PM »

Billy is right. Yes the Philippines has its problems but so does every other country like \"Kids find womens head on beach....in SCOTLAND\" or \"The newborn twins of Dennis Quaid and his wife, Kimberly, were reportedly given an accidental overdose of blood thinner & almost died, at a hospital.........in AMERICA\" Clearly not the sort of places to visit or live, with murder & poor medical services. :o

Of course these are generalizations based on isolated incidents but on their own paint a scary picture. Should we comment on the negatives here....of course we should BUT we should be as prepared to voice the good things in equal amounts.

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 10:15:45 PM »
Taking a couple of unusual and isolated incidents from Scotland and the US and somehow equating these with the general misery here is pretty unsound logic. These incidents make news in the US simply because they are outside of the normal course of events.

Offline BenK

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 08:52:16 AM »
Taking a couple of unusual and isolated incidents from Scotland and the US and somehow equating these with the general misery here is pretty unsound logic. These incidents make news in the US simply because they are outside of the normal course of events.

Absolutely right. Look, discussing bad news in the Philippines is not bashing the country. We can\'t even begin to attempt to improve things if we don\'t face realities. And we aren\'t doing anybody new to the country any favors by gilding the lily. Anyone reading this forum will soon realize that our moods are overwhelmingly positive anyway.
That\'s not chicken.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 09:10:15 AM »
Michael / Ben,

I think you both missed the point here. What I said was:

Should we comment on the negatives here....of course we should BUT we should be as prepared to voice the good things in equal amounts.

Nobody said anything about \'Bashing\'  ???

The point is \'Balance\'. Be as quick to post good things as some are to post the negatives. Even CNN, BBC & newspapers have learned that lesson.

I am talking about the Forum as a whole not just this thread.

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 07:46:34 PM »
Ultimately, I guess, everyone has to decide for him/herself whether the negative aspects of living here are outweighed by the many positive factors. For me, it\'s a close-run thing, but that type of assessment is hardly unique to the Philippines. It\'s equally true of the US, of the European countries and of everywhere else I\'ve ever lived.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 06:03:20 AM »
Ultimately, I guess, everyone has to decide for him/herself whether the negative aspects of living here are outweighed by the many positive factors. For me, it\'s a close-run thing, but that type of assessment is hardly unique to the Philippines. It\'s equally true of the US, of the European countries and of everywhere else I\'ve ever lived.

Exactly, Mike.  Which brings us back to the point Keith makes and to this new point I\'m about to make.    The owner of this forum, the Yahoo list and website, Don Herrington, has given us our mission statement which is to promote the Philippines as a place to visit, travel, do business or possibly retire.  The key word: Promote.   Of course during the discussions we have here on the forum many things negative will pop up and we are all offered the chance to participate.  We should always keep in mind that our purpose here is to discuss how to go about living in the Philippines, which would include how to deal with the negative sides of things that we all know exist.  Our focus shouldn\'t be strictly on those negative aspects, but on how to deal with those negatives or better yet, how to avoid them by adhering to the principles set forth by our more experienced members.  As long as our discussion doesn\'t linger for prolonged periods on the negative, we would do well to allow discussion of those aspects of life in the always challenging task of making our lives in our adopted country more comfortable
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 09:34:47 AM »

Exactly, Mike.  Which brings us back to the point Keith makes and to this new point I\'m about to make.    The owner of this forum, the Yahoo list and website, Don Herrington, has given us our mission statement which is to promote the Philippines as a place to visit, travel, do business or possibly retire.  The key word: Promote.   Of course during the discussions we have here on the forum many things negative will pop up and we are all offered the chance to participate.  We should always keep in mind that our purpose here is to discuss how to go about living in the Philippines, which would include how to deal with the negative sides of things that we all know exist.  Our focus shouldn\'t be strictly on those negative aspects, but on how to deal with those negatives or better yet, how to avoid them by adhering to the principles set forth by our more experienced members.  As long as our discussion doesn\'t linger for prolonged periods on the negative, we would do well to allow discussion of those aspects of life in the always challenging task of making our lives in our adopted country more comfortable

I think it is important to know about all the negatives, but at the same time keep them in proportion. I find it equally wrong to describe the Philippines as a paradise, which at times it can be. I am not sure that I agree with the idea of promoting the Philippines, if people like the idea of moving here then they should be given all the facts. You know the saying \'the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth\'.

Colin

Offline michael16136

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 09:55:30 AM »
Actually Jack, I had never read the mission statement. Thanks for pointing it out, as I really didn\'t know that this is evidently an advocacy site. I would guess however than Don is not too concerned as he permits pretty free ranging discussions across a very wide range of subjects. I agree with Colin. It\'s important to present a balanced perspective on the Philippines and let those who are in the throes of deciding whether or not to relocate here to make up their own minds based on accurate information.

It also occurs to me that, aside from the actions of the national government, which have implications for the entire country, it\'s difficult to generalize accurately about everywhere in the country as the cultures, mores and lifestyles vary so much from place to place. What\'s true in Davao may be less so in Cebu and may not exist at all in Ormoc, for example.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »

I think it is important to know about all the negatives, but at the same time keep them in proportion. I find it equally wrong to describe the Philippines as a paradise, which at times it can be. I am not sure that I agree with the idea of promoting the Philippines, if people like the idea of moving here then they should be given all the facts. You know the saying \'the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth\'.

Colin

Whether or not everyone, or anyone, agrees with Don\'s philosophy I guarantee you it is Don\'s philosophy to use this forum, the website and the Yahoo list to promote the Philippines.  We are definitely an advocacy group.  There are plenty of other sites where one can find flame wars, negativity and the seedy side of life in the RP.   You will not find those things here on LinPC.
We have said this many times before but I feel it bears repeating once again right here, right now.  This forum, and to a greater degree the Philippines, is not for everyone.  No discussion list, forum, or country for that matter, is for everyone.  No list, forum or country is.  We do not apologize for our goals here.  We feel that this forum is very much needed by those who are contemplating a possible change of address, either temporarily or permanently.  And we feel it is our duty to give them that information with as little disagreement and negative reporting as possible.  We do allow \"reality\" to drop in and pay us a visit from time to time, but the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth should be reserved for courtroom procedures and not here on this privately owned and operated forum.  We are here, simply put, to help citizens of other countries learn about what the Philippines has to offer in the way of vacation destinations, business opportunities and as a possible retirement retreat.

Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 03:50:58 PM »
All,

This is an extract from the \'Forum Rules\' as they are appear here:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=140.0

I feel they are reasonable rules, harsh though they may seem, and in the best interest of serving the Forum\'s purpose.  It\'s purpose is to help you and encourage you to consider the Philippines as a place to live, retire, travel or do business here, and be happier, and at the same time help the Filipino people by bringing in foreign exchange and better, happier guests for the Filipinos to enjoy.

Everyone who joins this Forum should have read :

*** READ THESE RULES *** If you can\'t agree with our Rules, then please don\'t join our Forum

Which appears for all to see at the top of the main Forum index. I suggest anyone who has not read them should do so. They are none negotiable.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 05:43:35 PM »

Colin

Whether or not everyone, or anyone, agrees with Don\'s philosophy I guarantee you it is Don\'s philosophy to use this forum, the website and the Yahoo list to promote the Philippines.  We are definitely an advocacy group.  There are plenty of other sites where one can find flame wars, negativity and the seedy side of life in the RP.   You will not find those things here on LinPC.
We have said this many times before but I feel it bears repeating once again right here, right now.  This forum, and to a greater degree the Philippines, is not for everyone.  No discussion list, forum, or country for that matter, is for everyone.  No list, forum or country is.  We do not apologize for our goals here.  We feel that this forum is very much needed by those who are contemplating a possible change of address, either temporarily or permanently.  And we feel it is our duty to give them that information with as little disagreement and negative reporting as possible.  We do allow \"reality\" to drop in and pay us a visit from time to time, but the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth should be reserved for courtroom procedures and not here on this privately owned and operated forum.  We are here, simply put, to help citizens of other countries learn about what the Philippines has to offer in the way of vacation destinations, business opportunities and as a possible retirement retreat.

Jack, I am a bit puzzled by your reply to my post, what was it that I said that brought all this on? I thought that what I was saying was simple strait forward common sense; I have not suggested that we should have flame wars or discuss the seedy side of life. Surely the idea of ‘the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth’ should be applied by all of us in every aspect of our lives.  I believe 100% with your stated aims for this group and I am happy to do my bit towards achieving them.  I must admit, however, that I don’t understand what is meant when you describe this as an advocacy group.

Colin

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 11:31:13 PM »
Colin,

I\'m not picking on you, buddy.  Nor am I trying to be rude, crude or socially unacceptable.  I was answering a comment you made as well as one that Mike made. 

Your comment:  I am not sure that I agree with the idea of promoting the Philippines    spurred my comments about our mission statement and posting policies. 

Mike\'s statement:   Actually Jack, I had never read the mission statement. Thanks for pointing it out, as I really didn\'t know that this is evidently an advocacy site  resulted in my advocacy comment.

Colin, Mike and all, it\'s not my intent to polarize anyone in this group.  Nor do I want to appear to be the Big Bad Forum Cop, a job I do not relish.  It is my job, however, as well as Keith\'s to keep the forum on track and in line with our stated goals and policies.  Conflicting opinions are allowed as long as they are done with respect for each other.  I certainly don\'t agree with everything Don Herrington stands for, although I can\'t think of anything off the top of my rapidly balding head.  But I do stand behind his goal 100% and I am committed to sharing information with those who are interested in possibly living in the Philippines.  We try to do so with a \"glass half full\" attitude.  For those who can\'t or won\'t look at life the way we choose to, you may find your stay with us here on LinPC uncomfortable.  As I said before, this forum is not for everyone, but all are welcome to come and read, post if they choose, and be a part of what Don started many years ago.