Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: British tourist stuck in Cebu city during ECQ, urgently needs accommodation  (Read 5735 times)

Offline Sigurdson

Last week I accidentally contacted British citizen in Cebu city,
His name is John Buck, 56. yr.old, he is tourist who got stuck in Cebu city during the COVID-19 quarantine;

I contacted British Consulate in Manila, sent them his passport details and described his situation,
Also, helped him start the legal process of collecting documents for returning back home (mainly it`s about his expired visa);

He runs out of his travel budget long time ago and can`t afford even cheap guesthouse while his documents still in process - and staying in Barangay Guadalupe public building.

If some members of the British community here in Cebu city or expats can help him with accommodation, it will be highly appreciated - he desperately needs it.

pls, feel free to contact me: 09563942838, Sergei

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Too bad for him as there are many with less than who live the daily PI life who can not afford to travel like him.
Get a paddle and raft or stay....this smells worse than smoked fish heads....(censored)!
MS

Offline MotorSarge

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Last week I accidentally contacted British citizen in Cebu city,
His name is John Buck, 56. yr.old, he is tourist who got stuck in Cebu city during the COVID-19 quarantine;

I contacted British Consulate in Manila, sent them his passport details and described his situation,
Also, helped him start the legal process of collecting documents for returning back home (mainly it`s about his expired visa);

He runs out of his travel budget long time ago and can`t afford even cheap guesthouse while his documents still in process - and staying in Barangay Guadalupe public building.

If some members of the British community here in Cebu city or expats can help him with accommodation, it will be highly appreciated - he desperately needs it.

pls, feel free to contact me: 09563942838, Sergei

Smoking live fish heads smells better than this yesterday new member of No Income Scam/ Sexpat, Overstayed and Ebegging for himself as another..... PI has been working with the US and other countries to expedite these folks home.
PM me your proof....or 03-8657309
MS

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Guys,

There is an active British group in Cebu, which may be of help to Sergie, the original poster.

The Group owner (David) may be contacted at < cebu_britclub-owner@yahoogroups.com  >

The British Embassy in Manila supports a British Consulate in Cebu, so that should have been his avenue to obtain Consular help/advice.

Unfortunately the Consulate is temporarily closed (See https://www.british-consulate.net/uk/United-Kingdom-Consular-Assistance-Cebu-City ), but this must be his first contact when they re-open.
Diplomatic Missions may re-open when their area goes to GCQ, according to the IATF issuance of 29 May.
He can try going to the Consulate building to see if there are any emergency contact numbers posted on the door.

I have thoughts on if he actually has got into this situation, but I'll keep them to myself at the moment.

Stay safe all.

Peter

Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline Sigurdson

Thank you very much Peter for your response!

I will transfer all this information to Mr. John Buck immediately;

Sure, I will use the link you sent to me - <cebu_britclub-owner@yahoogroups.com> and forward my first message to David;

Tomorrow I will visit British Consulate in Cebu and check if it has been open since ECQ changed to GCQ;

Of course we will use the contact numbers posted on the door; British Consulate in Manila already informed about his case but they haven`t give us any contact of representative person in Cebu.

I understand your doubts; as I mentioned in my first message, I also contacted John accidentally, but when we started communicate about his situation, I soon noticed that he looked quite adequate and normal, I seen his passport, return flights tickets, checks and other documents that can proof his words.

At the moment, the main problem for him is where to stay while he waits his documents for leave the country; that`s why I starting this tread -  I hope, some British people who live here in Cebu city can help him.

Sergei

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:33:34 PM by Sigurdson »

Offline Peter

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Sergei.

I suggest you tell him to read the info at the following link, specifically that which pertains to commercial flights and travel to departure airports.
< https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/philippines/return-to-the-uk  >
As well as the paragraph dealing with "cannot afford the travel costs "

I cannot understand how he is in that situation, as the FCO has for many weeks, been arranging numerous sweeper flights, many from Cebu, to get stranded tourists to Manila and onto specially chartered, UK bound, flights.

An example. FCO press release dated 21 April < https://tinyurl.com/ybrws33o  > when they had the system up and running. That is just one of the many alerts/messages/PRs from the Embassy, around that time (I had my first one on this subject on 31 March.)
Somewhere in the region of 9,000 tourists, AFAIU, have been repatriated from the Philippines to date.

Many options, apparently all missed. A question may be asked as to why he is still here?

Peter.
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
Virtus autem corruptibilis est,
summa virtute prorsus corrumpitur,

Offline Sigurdson

Thank you Peter for your message;

I 'll transfer all this important information about return flights to John;

This morning i tried to contact British Consulate in Cebu and asked Consulate in Manila about their correct address - and got e-mail informed me about - British Consulate in Cebu doesn't exist any more, they have no any representative person in Cebu as well.

Thus, while the documents for leaving the country are not ready yet, for John problem about acommodation remains relevant.

Sergei

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 03:46:58 PM by Sigurdson »