Living in The Philippines > Education in the Philippines

Duterte signs law on free college tuition

<< < (2/3) > >>

lost_in_samoa:
If everyone goes to college ..... does going to college mean anything ?

Sam218:
In the Philippines,  going to college is a big thing especially to the poor. They believe it's one of the ways for them to get out of poverty. If you have a degree, the chances of getting a good paying job is higher.

Peter:

--- Quote from: Sam218 on October 15, 2018, 12:41:44 PM ---In the Philippines,  going to college is a big thing especially to the poor. They believe it's one of the ways for them to get out of poverty. If you have a degree, the chances of getting a good paying job is higher.

--- End quote ---

Sam,

Unfortunately, a lot of employers, especially in the catering/food industry and large retail outlets, which pay minimum wages and practise "endo" contracts, appear to insist on their employees having a degree. Doesn't really matter which one, but a degree is normally required in a lot of cases just to get the foot in the door.

Of course a medical, engineering or legal degree may be the door opener to a lucrative career for those who came top/near the top of their professional board exams and are "self-starters", but other degree holders may find it increasingly hard to fulfill their dreams, unless they have lots of practical experience under their belts, or know someone who knows someone!

My tboughts of course in our area.

Peter

lost_in_samoa:

--- Quote from: Sam218 on October 15, 2018, 12:41:44 PM ---In the Philippines,  going to college is a big thing especially to the poor. They believe it's one of the ways for them to get out of poverty. If you have a degree, the chances of getting a good paying job is higher.

--- End quote ---

I suggest that you research this subject more.  Here are some thoughts that may change your mind.

1.)  What about all of the Filipino families who have sacrificed, suffered OFW separation, made good decisions day in and day out,  really strived for decades to get a higher education? 

It erases their effort. 

Free college tuition levels the playing field between the motivated and UN-motivated.  It devalues discipline.

2.)  There is no such thing as "free college tuition".  The institutions do not provide for free.  Instructors are not on a pro bono basis.

There is only additional taxes.  And the graft that goes with that.

3.)  If the government is the main source of funding then the institutions and instructors are motivated to provide "pro" government bias.

In the current administration that may be a good thing.  But what about 4 years from now?  What if another Marcos, Pol Pot,  Stalin,  Amin, or Obama rises to power?  Is government funded education a good thing then?  Think Hitler-Jugend.

4.)  If the government is the main source of funding, then revenue of institutions and instructors, will be fixed. 

Skilled instructors will migrate away from the "4 P's" system to others that pay more.  Brain drain.

5.)  If everyone has a degree ..... having one does not distinguish between skilled or unskilled. 

Every Tito, Jojo, and Boy will have a diploma.  So diploma's are not special.  In fact it will become a requirement to have a college diploma to flip Pancit at Jolly Bee's.

It diminishes the value of higher education. 

It adds a significant requirement across  the employment spectrum, and further isolates those who for whatever reason do not have a college certificate.

Hestecrefter:
With lost's comments I find myself in respectful agreement. 

When I lived there years ago, I seem to recall seeing some of the effects of which he speaks already at in play in the Phils - college grads doing low level work that should not require a college diploma.  For example, I think the (then) ubiquitous "promo girls" in some of the Manila department stores were college grads.  A former gf there had a brother who graduated as an architect.  I would not expect the Phils to employ office towers full of architects.  His ambition became to drive a Coke truck.  Last I saw he was running a sari sari store (for which I purchased all of the initial inventory).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version