Living in The Philippines > Expat life in Philippines

Why do so many foreigners leave?

(1/4) > >>

:
Why do you think so many leave?

Probably best left to veterans to Phils ie 5+ years

Evan:
Good question captain! There is what to write a book! Basically, since a big majority are retirees over 60 this is not a place made for retirement. This is not a place where we are welcomed. I have seen half of my friends in Bohol moving out for all kind of reasons, after they built beautiful houses, invested their life savings, many came with children in school age. Being one of those I\'ll have horrible stories to tell about the \"Americano pisout\" children. Same for Bob who had to go back to US because his daughter an 11 years big, tall for her age by Filipino standards couldn\'t take the making of fun of her anymore. Neither sweep the school yard (In a private, for fees school!) after hours. The Karaoke? Lucky if you don\'t have one right on the other side of your fence! but many have. Need hospital, doctors, better have an open date ticket to the first world available you may need it!  A negative? No. Just a pragmatic! 

P.S. This is just the appetizer, I\'ll come back with the main course later. I know I\'ll receive a lot of flame from the establishment, but this is a forum where a prospective new comer must be able to evaluate every one\'s experience and decide. 

stillbilly2002:
what is Capt. Ron,s  response? ill possibly have a school age child..........be in that age group .Colin............or any of the o.g.,s
          can you fill us in?????????? thanks

:

--- Quote from: stillbilly2002 on March 12, 2008, 05:39:10 AM ---what is Capt. Ron,s  response? ill possibly have a school age child..........be in that age group .Colin............or any of the o.g.,s
          can you fill us in?????????? thanks

--- End quote ---

Hi Billy,

not sure that I can help you much here, I live in a rented house in the middle of Filipinos and don\'t get involved with them very much, but have few problems either. We have a small block of apartments next door and the students occasionally have a party up to 2.0am, but it is just loud talk. We will be building our house in a quiet area with no neighbours. Karaoke is not a problem here. My two daughter are 38 and 40 and living in the UK, If they were school aged I would NOT have moved here. I don\'t think it would be fair on the children to move them to a country where their future is very uncertain. I understand that they could move back to their home country when they get older, but to what? They would have lost all their friends and contacts and leave their parents behind. If you have children, in my opinion, you must consider their future first. I am happy to live here and will stay here, but you must be prepared to fit in and accept a completely different way of life. I am 70 now and will die here, we have even bought a plot in the local cemetery  :)

Colin

:

--- Quote from: Evan on March 12, 2008, 01:08:30 AM ---Good question captain! There is what to write a book! Basically, since a big majority are retirees over 60 this is not a place made for retirement. This is not a place where we are welcomed. I have seen half of my friends in Bohol moving out for all kind of reasons, after they built beautiful houses, invested their life savings, many came with children in school age. Being one of those I\'ll have horrible stories to tell about the \"Americano pisout\" children. Same for Bob who had to go back to US because his daughter an 11 years big, tall for her age by Filipino standards couldn\'t take the making of fun of her anymore. Neither sweep the school yard (In a private, for fees school!) after hours. The Karaoke? Lucky if you don\'t have one right on the other side of your fence! but many have. Need hospital, doctors, better have an open date ticket to the first world available you may need it!  A negative? No. Just a pragmatic! 

P.S. This is just the appetizer, I\'ll come back with the main course later. I know I\'ll receive a lot of flame from the establishment, but this is a forum where a prospective new comer must be able to evaluate every one\'s experience and decide. 

--- End quote ---

Evan,

I believe children get teased & bullied in EVERY country especially if they are different. You said yourself she was \'tall for her age\' but being different isn\'t itself a guarantee of bullying. A neighbour here is African & his 2 boys are always leading pinoy kids in games. Also a Norwegian friend in Cebu has 2 teenage girls who definitely do not want to leave their group of filipina/o friends.

Relating your personal experiences is ok as long as you keep it to that & don\'t imply that it is a truth for all.

--- Quote ---Need hospital, doctors, better have an open date ticket to the first world available you may need it!
--- End quote ---

The owner of this Forum, Don is currently recovering from surgery & is receiving treatment & care as good as any western hospital.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version