Living in The Philippines > Expat life in Philippines

Lifestyle

(1/10) > >>

Gray Wolf:
Colin,

--- Quote ---Just remember \'The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence\'. While the temperate here is not too bad at the moment, there are times when a bit of \'coolness\' would be welcomed
--- End quote ---

I\'ve always been able to deal with heat and humidity much easier than cold weather.  I guess we\'re all different but the weather in the RP is perfect for me.  I\'ve always said it\'s much easier to wipe the sweat from my brow than to try to warm my frost bitten fingers and toes.  Besides, we plan to live in or around Vigan, Ilocos Sur and if things get too hot we can always find a bit of respite in the mountains just to the east.  In fact, we may build a weekend retreat home somewhere for that sole purpose.  I can certainly see me sitting on the veranda of my little weekend cottage looking out across some valley at the lush green mountainsides far away from the heat, humidity and insects.  Aaaahhhh!  Heaven on earth for this old Kentucky boy!

Jack

:
Jack,

As you say, we are all different. I find it easy to add a few more layers of clothes in the cold but when you are down to the skin in the heat there is not much more you can do. Fan are essential and I do spend a lot of time in my air conditioned \'computer room\'. We are surrounded here by houses and trees, but our new lot is very open and should be a lot fresher.

Colin

Gray Wolf:
Having the air moving is a big help.  When we were last in Novaliches, it was very confined feeling.  To get any air at all I had to go up on the roof terrace.  Not exactly comfy up there and all we had to sit under was a beach umbrella.  But at least you got a little air moving around you.  At night it was much better, especially up on the rooftop.  Being confined in a small crowded barrio is very hot, I agree.  That\'s why I insist on having a home built with a large piece of property so we can have room to move around and allow fresh air to move through.

:

--- Quote from: graywolf on December 31, 2007, 08:21:41 AM ---That\'s why I insist on having a home built with a large piece of property so we can have room to move around and allow fresh air to move through.

--- End quote ---

My minimum requirement for a lot was 1000 sq. mtrs. and we eventually bought one at 1500sq. mtrs. and the nearest house is several hundred meters away. The lot is only 15 metres wide but 100 metres deep and I will build the main house towards the back. That way if I eventually get neighbours, they will probably build near the front and I will still be in the clear. I am also thinking of building a covered \'Crows Nest\' above the second flow and equipping it with a hammock  :)

Colin

Gray Wolf:
Oh absolutely!  At the very least I want a roof terrace to take advantage of the evening breeze.  I\'ve seen many homes being built with \"lookout towers\" or \"crows nests\".  I never fully understood them until my last visit where I spent many hours up on the rooftop enjoying the view and fresh air away from all the hustle and bustle of life on the ground.  A nice duyan fits the need very well!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version