Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Expat life in Philippines / Re: Safe Storage for Money?
« Last post by David690 on Today at 03:00:57 PM »

Well .......  send it all to me.

I'll keep it safe for you.

8)

Best not to put it all in one place, I'll look after half of it for you  8)
Bourdain visited several areas in the Philippines and enjoyed the many delicacies offered. I remember watching his TV show where he featured the OFW he mentioned who had worked most of her life overseas, sending money home to support her family. The Filipino people are truly exceptional in their ability to adapt to different environments and cultures. It's just one of the many reasons I love them

Our family enjoyed that episode of knowing he visited our little corner of the world 8) ;D
I plan to return to the PI whenever travel resumes and looking for a modern city with nice beaches nearby to live in.  By modern, I mean somewhat clean with fairly fast internet, good places to eat, and not a lot of traffic.  Example:  Cebu would fit this description, but traffic is very bad there.

Back story, I lived in the PI for over 5 years, but left in 2011.  I lived in three different cities:  Dumaguete, SBMA (old Subic Navy base) outside of Olongapo, and Angeles.  The beaches near Dumaguete and Subic weren't very nice in my opinion.  I also visited Panglao Island and Tagbilarian City, but at that time, didn't seem like much was there.

I haven't visited Boracay, but I am sure that it is beautiful, but I think that it is too small an area for me.  I love to take motorcycle rides, and I would be very limited there.

Some cities I was wondering about are Davao, Cagayan De Oro, Iloilo City, and San Fernando.  If you have first hand knowledge of any of these, I would appreciate hearing it.

If you know of others that I might be interested in, please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

What's wrong the Beach/Island that has been at least voted the number one in the world no less than 3 times.......Palawan.
PI.....Most beautiful beaches and people in the world!!
I would give Iloilo City some consideration.  A clean city with not a whole lot of traffic I suppose.  Not too far from Boracay. If you are a military retiree with tricare for life they also have Medical City Iloilo that accepts and files your tricare on your behalf with little out-of-cost on your part. 
Feel free to check out Bacolod City, Negros Occidental.
« Last post by mikbal on June 19, 2021, 06:15:17 AM »
I've used my USAA card for years in the Philippines without a problem. I believe the daily limit is currently 600 dollars for ATM.
Bourdain visited several areas in the Philippines and enjoyed the many delicacies offered. I remember watching his TV show where he featured the OFW he mentioned who had worked most of her life overseas, sending money home to support her family. The Filipino people are truly exceptional in their ability to adapt to different environments and cultures. It's just one of the many reasons I love them
Getting here and back and getting items here and back / Re: travel with pets
« Last post by Gray Wolf on June 19, 2021, 02:43:07 AM »
We have used commercial boarding kennels a few times in the past due to employment obligations and long distance from family but I do not recommend them as they are very stressful for some pets and extremely overpriced.
So...I would board her with friends if you really need to go!

Yes, what Motor Sarge said ^^^  No way would I subject a family pet to the rigors of a 24+ hour place ride. Plus, I don't think they are allowed in the main cabin.
« Last post by Gray Wolf on June 19, 2021, 02:39:22 AM »

I plan to have several ATM cards.  Among them, USAA and Charles Schwab don't have ATM fees.  However, there are usually low limits on how much you can withdraw at a time.

What is your definition of "low amounts"? We usually bring $2000-3000 cash (nice, crisp $100 bills get the best reception at the exchange desks) but also take advantage of the local ATMs when shopping. I've run into 10,000php limits, but simply returned to the same line a few seconds later and made another withdrawal with no problem. Hope this helps  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10