Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Leaning towards Tacloban  (Read 2880 times)

ronsanjim

Leaning towards Tacloban
« on: July 17, 2008, 04:59:13 AM »
When I first contemplated relocation to the PI, My wife and I were thinking of the Manila area, but after reading of the polution, congestion, and overall \"hugeness\" of the area, I began looking for a less hectic area.  I moved to the Ozarks (Cherokee Village, AR, a small town of 4600) in Arkansas from the Miami-Ft Lauderdale area because of these same reasons, so I wasn\'t looking to return to that amount of humanity.

My wife of 28 years is from Hindang, Leyte, so I began to look at Tacloban, Cebu City, Bacolad, and Ilolio City for starters. Right now, I\'m leaning to Tacloban because of its population, airport connections, and the fact it will be closer to my wife\'s hometown of Hindang, and her brothers and sisters there. That is a \"good\" thing, right? Not next door to them, but close by, via a few hours bus ride.   Of course nothing will done until we visit the area on our first trip in a year or so. Following everyone\'s advice, will definitely rent for a few months is see if that will be our \"permanent\" home.

Am curious to hear of your comments about my first choice of Tacloban, with its population of around 225,000. One question though.....It has a MacDonalds....is that the same \"McDonalds\" we all know, or just a clever name ripoff?

Re: Leaning towards Tacloban
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:58:53 AM »
Ron wrote:
t has a MacDonalds....is that the same \"McDonalds\" we all know, or just a clever name ripoff?

Same McD, same BK, same KFC.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:15:33 AM »
I have been in Leyte since 1988. I spent 18 months in Cebu city. If you have questions you can E mail me

ronsanjim

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 11:23:16 PM »
Thanks, Dick.  I appreciate your kind offer of assistance. Right now I don\'t have many questions, other than, well, how do like Tacloban?  Choosing a specific location to make your home is a pretty big decision, so fortunately I have a couple of years to look into it. Another question would be about the number of Americans in Tacloban?  Doesn\'t really matter, but curious. Have you seen many houses for rental?

ronsanjim

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 04:45:37 AM »
Thanks for the several emails I received in reference to my questions.  Its nice to hear the truthful opinions instead of the usual \"land of paradise\" hyperlatives.

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 10:36:06 PM »
Ron,

I havnt lived there but have visited several times as my wife is from the Kananga area and we fly into TAC and sometimes travelled there to take care of business ie.. getting my Visa renewed.   TACLOBAN is a neat lil town with an airport.   Tacloban is Imelda Marcos\'s hometown and her sway has helped Tac develop.   Its a neat town and very beautiful... I love flying into and landing on the strip adjacent to sea which is just a jeep away from the famous Macarthur statues by the sea in Palo.   Tacloban has several nice hotels which frequently house returning ww2 vet groups etc.   The downtown part of Tacloban is congested and busy and smoggy like most provincial l capitals but the nearby outlying parts of the city are very peacful.   Yes Mcdoo and all the other usual suspects are there now..too.   I don\'t know about the healthcare facilities there, but I would guess you could find topnotch healthcare in Tacloban.

I am returning to live in the Phils and considered TACloban...but I need to be in a city with an international Airport,  large malls (for mama) and wide selection of  schools etc for the babies..  We are locating to the CEBU area (not sure exaclty where yet) because its a truely world class city....but not a  Manila...with an international airport ..but not a NAIA (manila) .   Its also not too far my wifes province with a boat trip across to ORMOC...Close but not TOOOOOOOOOOOO close.   Yes it can be good to be close to your wifes family..just set your boundaries early..(thats another topic) .

In general I always enjoy going to Tacloban,  the Airport is a big plus as is the size of the city.     Good luck checking it out.   Best  8)