Getting Prepared For The Philippines > Driving and Vehicles in RP

Driving from Manila to Davao

<< < (5/6) > >>

ABCDeVil:

--- Quote from: David690 on January 11, 2017, 03:12:45 AM ---So, to my question, what are your thoughts about driving from Manila to Davao?
Anybody done this journey, or any other long distance driving?
My asawa is worried about all sorts of safety issues, bandits etc.,  Is she right to be worried, is this a crazy idea?

--- End quote ---

Hello David690,

You are a man after my own heart. My asawa & I have been planning the same trip, but due to other events have not made the journey as yet. We bought our car, a Honda Fit/Jazz, in Davao. We drove across Mindanao, on the eastern highway, to CDO. Along the way, we stopped in to see the family in the hills, about 3+ hours south of Butuan. The eastern highway from Davao to Butuan & CDO, are in good condition, not much traffic, except in the towns.

Along this way, there was one fellow, nicely dressed, who walked out to the edge of the highway, trying to flag us to stop. NOPE, just kept the foot down and moved on. He did realise, just after this happened, that there were a few fellows, on the side of the road, about a kilometer before this, maybe they were spotters. My car has dark tinting, except the windshield. Now that has a big dark tint strip, about 9 inches, at the top of the windshield. Friends locally, cannot see into our car, therefore the suggestion to dark tint the car, will be very useful.

We live in Subic, north of Manila. From here, we have driven north, to the tip top of Luzon, gone south, via Manila to Batangas, used the ferry to cross to Mindoro. We drove around Mindoro easily, with only traffic in towns, with good roads most of the way.

I note that you intend to travel from San Ricardo to Surigao by ferry. As my asawa's family are from this region and work all over the province, we have been reliably informed on the NPA & other dissident groups in this region. Just be aware, I have been to the province a dozen times and drank with some of the nicer people from the NPA & others, without any real fear, as the family "seriously" take care of me, when we visit. Only once have I been hidden, as the bad elements from the NPA & others, were about to move thru our area. Over the last few months, there has been many bad incidents, going from Surigao down to Trento. (look these up on the maps please) My advice would be to ferry from maybe Maasin to Butuan/CDO or San Ricardo to CDO/Butuan. If you end up landing in CDO, drive east to Butuan, then take the eastern highway. There are less concerns on this route. The middle highway CDO - Davao, takes you thru Bukidnon, in recent times, that is not a wise move. As for the western highway, just a NO GO ZONE.

Seriously, I envy you guys and I will be looking forward to hearing more, just so I can add info to my research list for a similiar journey. I wish you all success and enjoyment for the trip. Making this journey over 2 weeks, may actually be underestimating the time, with all the things you may want to stop and investigate more. Our trip was to travel over 4-6 weeks.

I know there are many more things I want to say, but so little time LOL. Enjoy & tell us more later, PLEASE.

ABC

Footnote: Philtranco, is a local bus company that goes from Manila to Davao, a 3 day journey, using 2 ferries. One leaving Luzon going to Samar, then from Maasin Leyte, to Mindanao. If they can do it, I know you and soon, us, can make a similiar journey.

David690:

--- Quote from: ABCDeVil on January 23, 2017, 10:51:43 PM ---Hello David690,

You are a man after my own heart. My asawa & I have been planning the same trip, but due to other events have not made the journey as yet. We bought our car, a Honda Fit/Jazz, in Davao. We drove across Mindanao, on the eastern highway, to CDO. Along the way, we stopped in to see the family in the hills, about 3+ hours south of Butuan. The eastern highway from Davao to Butuan & CDO, are in good condition, not much traffic, except in the towns.

Along this way, there was one fellow, nicely dressed, who walked out to the edge of the highway, trying to flag us to stop. NOPE, just kept the foot down and moved on. He did realise, just after this happened, that there were a few fellows, on the side of the road, about a kilometer before this, maybe they were spotters. My car has dark tinting, except the windshield. Now that has a big dark tint strip, about 9 inches, at the top of the windshield. Friends locally, cannot see into our car, therefore the suggestion to dark tint the car, will be very useful.

We live in Subic, north of Manila. From here, we have driven north, to the tip top of Luzon, gone south, via Manila to Batangas, used the ferry to cross to Mindoro. We drove around Mindoro easily, with only traffic in towns, with good roads most of the way.

I note that you intend to travel from San Ricardo to Surigao by ferry. As my asawa's family are from this region and work all over the province, we have been reliably informed on the NPA & other dissident groups in this region. Just be aware, I have been to the province a dozen times and drank with some of the nicer people from the NPA & others, without any real fear, as the family "seriously" take care of me, when we visit. Only once have I been hidden, as the bad elements from the NPA & others, were about to move thru our area. Over the last few months, there has been many bad incidents, going from Surigao down to Trento. (look these up on the maps please) My advice would be to ferry from maybe Maasin to Butuan/CDO or San Ricardo to CDO/Butuan. If you end up landing in CDO, drive east to Butuan, then take the eastern highway. There are less concerns on this route. The middle highway CDO - Davao, takes you thru Bukidnon, in recent times, that is not a wise move. As for the western highway, just a NO GO ZONE.

Seriously, I envy you guys and I will be looking forward to hearing more, just so I can add info to my research list for a similiar journey. I wish you all success and enjoyment for the trip. Making this journey over 2 weeks, may actually be underestimating the time, with all the things you may want to stop and investigate more. Our trip was to travel over 4-6 weeks.

I know there are many more things I want to say, but so little time LOL. Enjoy & tell us more later, PLEASE.

ABC

Footnote: Philtranco, is a local bus company that goes from Manila to Davao, a 3 day journey, using 2 ferries. One leaving Luzon going to Samar, then from Maasin Leyte, to Mindanao. If they can do it, I know you and soon, us, can make a similiar journey.

--- End quote ---

Hi ABC
Many thanks for your positive and enthusiastic post.
All of your points are well noted and I will certainly take everything on board when we get around to making the trip.
At the moment I am waiting to hear back from Ford dealers to see what offers are available.
For sure when we make the trip, I will publish a full blog on the adventure.
Cheers
David

ABCDeVil:
Hello David690,

You did not mention, but I hope you are not wearing in (the motor), the new car, as part of this trip. For me, I suggest it would not be a good idea. Wear in the motor prior to starting the travel. This will give the vehicle some time, for the bugs, if there are any, to be sorted out, giving less problems along the journey.

Again, I wish to hear about the trip and also wish I was travelling with you. In our own car hehehe. We are not ready to start that trip just yet. Got many things on our plate at the moment, maybe next year will be good for us.

ABC

David690:
UPDATE.......

Just completed the drive from Manila to Davao.  Picked up my Ford Ranger Wildtrak from the dealer in Global City last Friday evening and set off Saturday morning.  We arrived home in Davao last night, so 5 days and 1,750km.  Could have done it quicker but wanted to enjoy the drive and take in site seeing along the route.
It went absolutely fine, no issues whatsoever.

Lee2:

--- Quote from: David690 on November 09, 2017, 10:43:01 PM ---UPDATE.......

Just completed the drive from Manila to Davao.  Picked up my Ford Ranger Wildtrak from the dealer in Global City last Friday evening and set off Saturday morning.  We arrived home in Davao last night, so 5 days and 1,750km.  Could have done it quicker but wanted to enjoy the drive and take in site seeing along the route.
It went absolutely fine, no issues whatsoever.

--- End quote ---
Congratulations on your new truck and thanks for the update, nice to hear when things go smoothly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version