Technical Stuff > Internet Connections & TV

Hi from a noob and would like internet info for Palawan

(1/2) > >>

denben1:
Hi everyone, my wife & I are thinking of retiring to Palawan, we have read a mountain of info' about it, however a lot of info' about internet speed & reliability seems to be contradictory, because I run a small online business which supplements our pensions, it is very important to have a reliable connection and preferably a fast one, so if anyone can throw some light onto this subject we would be most grateful. Thanks.

(updated title :Lee)

bigrod:
Welcome to the forum can you please give us an intro in the link below, thanks.  I do not live in Palawan so will leave it to other members to provide info on internet providers there.

http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?board=35.0

Chuck

JoeLP:
Hello denben1.
Thank you for joining our site.  As bigrod asked, please give us some more information on you please.

As to your question.  Someone from Palawan will need to give you a more constructive answer than what I can.  I can say this from the travels I've done in the Phils.  It depends on location, location, location.  I live "local" in the capital of the province I live in.  We have some so so speeds here, compared to what is expected in the Phils. 

Next municipality over, where there is a very nice sub-division full of foreigners, they have squat.  Using all the wireless networks and their phones as hot spots.  They have a nice neighborhood, and nice big houses...but the system in their area sucks.  Meanwhile, I'm in an ok home, just a couple stone throws from a squatter neighborhood, and have much better setup. 

Where you live will have a lot to do with the connection you get to the net.  Also, some cities have better connections than others.  Some have same connection, but the companies running them do a better job than their competitors. 

I live on the opposite side of the Visayas.  But I do believe we have a few no this site form Palawan. Hope they can come on and help you out.

Lee2:

--- Quote from: denben1 on September 22, 2016, 11:26:17 AM ---Hi everyone, my wife & I are thinking of retiring to Palawan, we have read a mountain of info' about it, however a lot of info' about internet speed & reliability seems to be contradictory, because I run a small online business which supplements our pensions, it is very important to have a reliable connection and preferably a fast one, so if anyone can throw some light onto this subject we would be most grateful. Thanks.

--- End quote ---

Welcome! Enjoy the forum.
First may I suggest you say where in Palawan you intend to live, that way one of our members who lives there can tell you how the internet there might work. I know a couple of members who live there have written in the past that their connections are slow where they live. I also read an article "PLDT, Smart building new P1.4-B fiber optic backbone to Palawan" http://tinyurl.com/jazou7v which makes it sound like they should have pretty good internet at least in the city by now.

Hopefully one of the members who live there can give you more information when they sign in.

denben1:
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, I've never been on a forum before so thought my post had been deleted, anyway finally found it. So a bit about my wife & me. Originally from Wales in the UK, came to New Zealand several years ago, my wife has always been in admin positions whilst I worked in the oil industry. We retired earlier this year but found our retirement income does not cut the mustard when it comes to cost of living here. So we are planning to move to the Ph' next year, Puerto Princesa on Palawan. I run a small online business to supplement our pensions, so a reliable internet connection is important.

So anyone from Palawan who can shed any light on the matter would be great. Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version