Living in The Philippines > Philippine Culture, Filipino Family Relationships

Unwed mothers, has it become acceptable?

(1/9) > >>

Lee2:
I read this story "Cebu priest berates unwed mother, 17, during baptism" and I feel the priest did the correct thing if it will discourage others from following the same path.
http://tinyurl.com/lezhtb4

--- Quote ---(Don't follow wrong deeds, allowing yourself to sleep with a man who is not your husband. Is that what the church has taught you? This child did not sin, but the man and the woman who slept together unwed are the ones who are living in sin. The child will bear the mistake. Hope you'll think that this is not just about being happy and amused because the child is here. Yes, this is grace, but conceived through sin. This was not done through...Were you married, Day? (Girl shakes head) Oh, see, is she a good Christian? Is this something you can be proud of, Day? That you have a child, but have no husband? This is shameful, Day. You should have covered yourself, because you are in church, shameful. Because you want this baptism even without a husband, you slept with a man who was not your husband. Do you hear me, Day? Aren't you ashamed? This is so shameless. And you (addresses crowd), are you going to follow what she did? Will you spread your legs for a man you barely know? That's why this is shameful. This child will live in grace because he is baptized. You, on the other hand, was baptized but you did not fulfill the promise of baptism. Hope this child will grow to follow his baptismal promise. You are crooked. I hope that some people will help you and enlighten you so your child will grow up following Christ's teachings, which cannot be said of you.)

--- End quote ---

I feel (YMMV) it is wrong in any culture to have children out of wedlock for many reasons but especially so in the Philippines which is such a religious culture, yet a number of young girls in our family and people we have met have had children out of wedlock and their families have not shunned them and some are in the provinces, so to me it now seems like it is accepted whereas in the past it would have meant disgrace. What has gone wrong in today's world to where in many families it is now accepted? What is your opinion, are the priest and I wrong?

iamjames:

[/quote]

..... people we have met have had children out of wedlock and their families have not shunned them .....
[/quote]

Are you serious Lee?  :o
That sounds medieval religious fanaticism to me. Why not stone people caught in adultery also!

The priest, during the Baptism, spoke like a selfish, bigoted tyrant and should be imprisoned for speaking that way to a young woman in public. He is a disgusting example of what goes wrong when you put religious power in the hands of a fool.

Lee2:

--- Quote from: iamjames on July 08, 2014, 02:22:32 AM ---Are you serious Lee?  :o
That sounds medieval religious fanaticism to me. Why not stone people caught in adultery also!

The priest, during the Baptism, spoke like a selfish, bigoted tyrant and should be imprisoned for speaking that way to a young woman in public. He is a disgusting example of what goes wrong when you put religious power in the hands of a fool.

--- End quote ---

Yes James I am dead serious, it is becoming a major problem. Too many of those women end up unable to support those children. Many of those women have to turn to unsavory work in order to support the children because the fathers apparently often do not. Go into any of the bars and talk to the many women working in them and it is often the same old story over and over again. I have seen it in the US as well in poor neighborhoods leading to too many being on welfare and in a poor country like the Philippines it is now happening way too often.

So while the priest berating her in public might not have been the best thing for him to do, how many of those who witnessed it or heard about it might now think twice about doing the same thing.

Leinster Lad:
Easily accessible access to contraception and "family planning" eductaion in high school will solve a lot of the problems.

Unfortunately, the Catholic Church seems to have issues with this  :o

Might not stop the behaviour,  but sure as hell should slow down the birth rate of "unwanted" ( that is such a bad word....sorry )  children.

mikbal:
In my opinion if the priest wanted to chew her out, he should have done it in private,  In the Roman Catholic church, baptism is a sacrament with a specific liturgy. I dont believe it's the time or place for a counseling session. And I don't believe what he said will have any impact on young Filipinos at all.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version