Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Adoption in The RP  (Read 3545 times)

Adoption in The RP
« on: June 28, 2010, 02:39:04 PM »
Just wondering if anyone that has married here in the RP,  his wife has a child from a previous relationship and you are to living  in the RP, you want to adopt that child,  what did you have to do?  How much did you pay, who did you see or who do you recommend and how long did does  adoption take?

I\'m going to go down this road to adopt my wife\'s child who is just over 2years old.  I will be seeing a lawyer soon.  So just want advice and suggestions.

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

Re: Adoption in The RP
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 03:31:35 PM »
We are just starting the adoption process of our 11 year old niece and what our lawyer (previously used for real estate purchases) has told us. Which I\'ve checked  up on and seems right. http://www.chanrobles.com/republicacts/republicactno8552.html

1. You need to petition a judge for the adoption
2. To accomplish this you will need signatures of childs parents
3. Department of Social Welfare and Development will perform a background check of -
  • Suitability of Prospective Adoptee includes ability to support child
  • Adoption counselling needed or not
  • \"Supervised trial custody\"
4. Final appearance before judge where if child is of sentient age (depends on judges whim apparently) child will be asked if they give consent.
We will have Ednalyns parents present too, paying their expenses to be there

The judge is able to waive a lot of the conditions so let lawyer select which judge he presents petition to.

Approx 6 months and it\'s a done deal. Lawyer estimates P20-30,000 for his and court fees.

Offline MikeBal

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:53:01 AM »
 Did it back in the 80\'s in Angeles but it looks like the process is the same, although as you would expect after 25 years, costs have gone up some.  We started the process around Jan and finished that summer. At that time after the judge issued his decision (assuming it was favorable), a new birth certificate was issued with the adoptive parent\'s name on it. I presume that is still the case.
Mike from San Antonio

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 01:53:57 AM »
Article IV. Section 14 states - \"The original certificate of birth shall be stamped \"cancelled\" with the annotation of the issuance of an amended birth certificate in its place and shall be sealed in the civil registry records. The new birth certificate to be issued to the adoptee shall not bear any notation that it is an amended issue.\"

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:18:20 AM »
We are just starting the adoption process of our 11 year old niece and what our lawyer (previously used for real estate purchases) has told us. Which I\'ve checked up on and seems right. http://www.Chernobyl\'s.com/republicacts/republicactno8552.html

3. Department of Social Welfare and Development will perform a background check of -
4. Final appearance before judge where if child is of sentient age (depends on judges whim apparently) child will be asked if they give consent.

The judge is able to waive a lot of the conditions so let lawyer select which judge he presents petition to.

Approx 6 months and it\'s a done deal. Lawyer estimates P20-30,000 for his and court fees.

I do not think your situation is the same as mine.  You want to adopt your niece, I want to adopt my wife\'s daughter, and her daughter will still be with a biological parent, her mother.  We are married so her daughter who is living with us now  will be living with us after the adoption also.  So I think it will be different.

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 11:06:07 AM »
My brother in law was in the same situation and he and the mother had to travel to the township she was born in to make the changes at a local level before the changes could be made at an NRO level. No lawyer was to be involved.
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 11:31:13 AM »
My brother in law was in the same situation and he and the mother had to travel to the township she was born in to make the changes at a local level before the changes could be made at an NRO level. No lawyer was to be involved.

Thanks for the  info.  What does  NRO mean?

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »
National Records Office
Wayne  ;D ;D

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 05:16:30 PM »
We are just starting the adoption process of our 11 year old niece and what our lawyer (previously used for real estate purchases) has told us. Which I\'ve checked up on and seems right. http://www.Chernobyl\'s.com/republicacts/republicactno8552.html

I do not think your situation is the same as mine.  You want to adopt your niece, I want to adopt my wife\'s daughter, and her daughter will still be with a biological parent, her mother.  We are married so her daughter who is living with us now  will be living with us after the adoption also.  So I think it will be different.

It IS still the same basic process ONLY YOU will be adopting, obviously NOT her mother.

Same basic checks, some conditions may be waived

Offline MikeBal

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 02:15:45 AM »
  I adopted my step-son (my wife\'s son from a previous relationship). The three of us were all living together and the process was exactly the same as stated above, including a home visit by the case worker.  As I said, that was about 25 years ago and I know things change. Please post your experiences when you go through this.
Mike from San Antonio

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 08:13:37 AM »
  I adopted my step-son (my wife\'s son from a previous relationship). The three of us were all living together and the process was exactly the same as stated above, including a home visit by the case worker.  As I said, that was about 25 years ago and I know things change. Please post your experiences when you go through this.

Yes,  I will let all know how it goes.

Offline czerald

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 04:27:06 PM »
Hi to all! :) i am curious about they say no lawyers involved about addopting a child..i just got married last June with my American husband,but we\'ve know each others more than 2 years..my case is, he met me single mom and he wants to addopt my son,and i am so thankful with that..i just don\'t have idea yet,how it to legalize..He is under my name so i guess its not hard..My husband will be back home here very soon, and addopting my son is his first thing he wants to do..Hope i can get any idea with the same situation as mine and i will be very thankful..   ;D...

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 07:40:35 AM »
 I adopted my wife\'s children in the 90\'s. It was in Tacloban, Leyte. It took a year and there was not anyone contesting the adoption. The courts are very slow. You do need a lawyer and I did it for a flat fee for two, it was P17k but this was in the 90\'s. Your husband will need his previous tax returns for proof of income among other things.

Offline czerald

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »
Hi!!Thanks for suggestion,ill tell it to my husband.. :) have a great day..  ;D