Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: 48 hours and 3 brownouts.....  (Read 4024 times)

Re: 48 hours and 3 brownouts.....
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 09:17:07 PM »
We\'ve progressed. It is now eight days, and eight brownouts.   ::) If I was a Filipino in charge of this country\'s electricity infrastructure, I\'d be embarrassed as hell!

Maybe someone can help me out here, but there is an Philippine expresion/philosophy the people here live by here. Similar to \"Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)\", Same attitude you can see in traffic. Total chaos yet very relaxed/non caring. Its ilsland life...we be jammin, yaw mon.
Bahala na, is the term I beleive you\'re thinking of: \"okay, yeah, whatever\"

Just don\'t expect them to feel that way about life if they think a foreigner and a few free dollars are involved. It\'ll suddenly become \"right here, right now\"  ;D

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 03:28:12 AM »
BC Boy wrote;
there is an Philippine expresion/philosophy the people here live by here. Similar to \"Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)\"   

Bahala na.

That is a Bisayan expression that seems to be used in similar situations. I have seen it translated \"It\'s up to luck\" or even \"who cares?\"
Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 08:24:05 PM »
So, two weeks ago I went out and bought a handful of flash lights and one of them super duper rechargeable fan/light/radio devices, for 2500 pesos.  and......

......we didn\'t have a power cut for two weeks.  ::)

But today, today we have had four brownouts!  ;D

And tonight I brought out my secret weapon, fully charged, ready for anything, and the wife cooked dinner by the light of my rechargeable device and the steady breeze from it\'s built in fan, whilst listening to \'choons\' from the inbuilt radio.

And if she had wanted a flashing light, she could have had one of those on too.  ;D :D

Offline Knowdafish

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »

And tonight I brought out my secret weapon, fully charged, ready for anything, and the wife cooked dinner by the light of my rechargeable device and the steady breeze from it\'s built in fan, whilst listening to \'choons\' from the inbuilt radio.

And if she had wanted a flashing light, she could have had one of those on too.  ;D :D

That\'s stylin\' Philippine style!  ;D

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 10:03:37 PM »
So, two weeks ago I went out and bought a handful of flash lights and one of them super duper rechargeable fan/light/radio devices, for 2500 pesos.  and......

......we didn\'t have a power cut for two weeks.  ::)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMRDQeQUHJk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMRDQeQUHJk</a>