Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: age demographics of members?  (Read 11470 times)

Offline JamesC

• Nickleback99
  • Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living the Dream!
Re: age demographics of members?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2017, 02:24:04 PM »
58 and retiring in August after 35 yrs split btwn USMC and then as a Fed. We plan to move down possibly in Fall, or early 18 after Asawa gets her US citizenship complete, which in turn gives us chance to go back US and visit family and friends for few months, Maybe get my 13a. Plan to start in Dumaguete on temp plan, travel Asia and ck few other places like Laguna and Zambales. Have 2 yr old son ; so, schools will factor in some point...either private there in PI, or back to US after banking lot of retiree pay to buy a house and Seattle Seahawks tix!.  Lots of moving parts! 
"The Only Easy Day was Yesterday"

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »
James C, welcome back! It's been awhile. I would not recommend getting a 13a when you can get an SRRVisa for ex-military members where the bank security deposit is only $1,500 and you will never have to step foot inside a BI office ever again. JJ and I, we both have our SRRVisa.
Also, I would recommend looking around in Tagagtay to make your permanent home, our area in Laguna would be too warm for you.
Look at spending around P10 to P12 million for a 300 sq. mtr. lot to built a home on it.
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline JamesC

• Nickleback99
  • Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living the Dream!
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 04:31:53 PM »
Art, Thanks.  That much for a lot gonna be way out of my desired price range!  Great pension, but $400K for lot and house would make me "broke" on the cash side!   Heck, if was gonna do that much, I'd just buy a pretty nice house in WA way up north of Seattle closer to the border for around $300K and be fine.  Unfortunately my Ex got essentially $750K out of me on the TSP and the house we had in Anacortes....walking away from that chaos gave me peace of mind, but a financial kick in the arss none the less....a case of "pick your poison".   Anyway, we'll see.....gonna rent to start wherever we go.  Diff note...I look forward to a beer with you Finally!

Offline Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am

• Sr Member
  • From California, now living in Sta Rosa, Laguna
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 04:50:54 PM »
It's not $400,000, more like $200,000 (P10 million). We live in a gated subdivision on a 187 sq mtr lot 2 story home, around P5 million+ ($100,000+). It's just my wife and I living in our home. Location is most important for us. We have everything we need within a 1/4 mile radius. 
So actually you can afford a home, one here and one in Seattle, if that's your preference for retirement.
We have no plans on returning to the U.S., the Philippines is our permanent home.
Sorry for your loss of $$$$$ and assets from your Ex! Ouch!  :-[ ::) ??? ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:11:29 PM by Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am »
"Life is what we all make it to be"!
"It's always a matter of money"!
"Do on to others as they would do on to You, but do it first"!
"Different strokes for different folks"!
"Que Sera Sera"!

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 06:42:31 PM »
its cheaper in Tagaytay than Sta Rosa as well.  and the temperature is much cooler.
Art bought at a GREAT time in Sta Rosa, over the last 5 - 10 years the prices there have sky rocketed and will probably do the same here in Tagaytay. 

Welcome to the forum

Offline JamesC

• Nickleback99
  • Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living the Dream!
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2017, 08:48:05 PM »
It's not $400,000, more like $200,000 (P10 million). Sorry for your loss of $$$$$ and assets from your Ex! Ouch!  :-[ ::) ??? ;)

Well on the last part....The Cost of Freedom (from a hoarder)!

On the other, not sure what heck I was thinking?...bad math.  Either way, wanna stay cheap as possible starting out, yet have a decent/nice place.  That's do-able easily for 20K pesos per month  before utilities in Dumaguete for the level of "nice" we want, while we check it out.  Tagaytay is on our list.  Seems lot of places outgrow themselves infrastructure wise once they start booming....build build build, but no supporting road infrastructure.   It seems if we Do stay in PI, then schools as of today are in Sta Rosa area, Manila and Subic area that Might make the grade; Intl school in Manila for sure, But I'm Not gonna live there.  That leaves the other two.  Since even that would be a limited time primarily for grades 6-12, we'd likely look at temp living either place, Or?...who knows?  Bottom line, gotta save some $$ while I can and Then make decisions when they come due with some sort of a forecast plan in place.   For now?...Looking Very forward to the move and hanging up the badge and Relaxing for a bit.

Offline JamesC

• Nickleback99
  • Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
  • Living the Dream!
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2017, 08:53:28 PM »
its cheaper in Tagaytay than Sta Rosa as well.  and the temperature is much cooler.
Art bought at a GREAT time in Sta Rosa, over the last 5 - 10 years the prices there have sky rocketed and will probably do the same here in Tagaytay.

Thanks JJCab.  We'll check it out for sure.  Been there a couple times, but last time was Dec09.  Are you living there now or just prepping to make the move?  I lived on the old Subic and San Miguel bases way back when, 89-92 when we had the US facilities and have been back around 22 times since '07, but always amazes me the rapid change and growth in areas you noted, as well as Manila, maybe the whole country.  Anyway, looking forward to the adventure and my own Phil Dream.  Hope to meet you sometime!

(Edited only to close quote box)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:03:15 PM by Lee »

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2017, 04:36:04 AM »
Well on the last part....The Cost of Freedom (from a hoarder)!

On the other, not sure what heck I was thinking?...bad math.  Either way, wanna stay cheap as possible starting out, yet have a decent/nice place.  That's do-able easily for 20K pesos per month  before utilities in Dumaguete for the level of "nice" we want, while we check it out.  Tagaytay is on our list.  Seems lot of places outgrow themselves infrastructure wise once they start booming....build build build, but no supporting road infrastructure.   It seems if we Do stay in PI, then schools as of today are in Sta Rosa area, Manila and Subic area that Might make the grade; Intl school in Manila for sure, But I'm Not gonna live there.  That leaves the other two.  Since even that would be a limited time primarily for grades 6-12, we'd likely look at temp living either place, Or?...who knows?  Bottom line, gotta save some $$ while I can and Then make decisions when they come due with some sort of a forecast plan in place.   For now?...Looking Very forward to the move and hanging up the badge and Relaxing for a bit.

I am also looking to figure out how to get out of the rat race and retire or take a sabbatical for few years.

I like Leyte,  because of having family there (that I like at least for now) and the cost is less then around Manila or Cebu.  Less than 10 million can get a nice large house and good sized lot, and maybe a nice used car also.

The School thing is an issue for me also.  After getting advice on this site and personally visiting some of the schools in the area we would live we decided to plan on using home schooling.  By doing that can get a US based school as a provider and follow along.  In the end kids will have all they need for access to any university.  I think my wife will administer it some,  and also hire local tutors as needed,  while following the plan.  It can probably work well or bad,  depending on effort put into it.  You probably know already,  but the nice international schools are very expensive and only in the expensive areas.

Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline jjcabgou

• Sr Member
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2017, 06:42:12 AM »
James,
We have an international private school that is walking distance from where we live.  We are putting our two nieces through school right now.
Of all the places I have visited in the Philippines, I would not live anywhere else over Tagaytay.  Weather is great, it is safe, tons of fresh foods, 45 minutes to the beach and about 90 minutes to Makati, 55 minutes to alabang.
Glad to see an NFL fan is going to be among us.   Seems people come here and stop watching football for some reason.   I have had the NFL package for 4 years now, and actually watch more football than I did in the states.
BTW, I would imagine you spent some time on Okinawa right?   I lived there for almost 10 years
Where ever you choose to live, good luck to you

Offline codefreeze

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2017, 09:23:52 PM »
snip...
Of all the places I have visited in the Philippines, I would not live anywhere else over Tagaytay.  Weather is great, it is safe, tons of fresh foods, 45 minutes to the beach and about 90 minutes to Makati, 55 minutes to alabang.
snip...

I must admit I really enjoyed Tagaytay (back in 2011). Went to Sonya's garden for a lovely stay. There was also a great pancake place in town too - can't remember the name now (modern, great view)!

Went out to Talisay, lovely village feel, and across Lake Taal to hoof it up the volcano - worth it. Our guide was about 7 months pregnant which was interesting! Feeling out there of being on Kong Island...

Just out of interest, which beach do you usually head to?

Offline medic3500

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 10:14:37 AM »
57 going on 5 years here in the Fairview area. Raising three teenage step kids one starting college this year after we get them out of the roost we will look to relocate to a more remote area.