Getting Prepared For The Philippines > Motorcycles

Sending a New Harley to PI

(1/5) > >>

GWG:
I need your opinion.
I am being told by some of my PI Expat friends that I can buy a New Harley here in Saudi where I work. They arrive here unassembled. I would Keep it unassembled and ship it door to door via Forex Boxes to my house. They run about $65 each, unlimited weight, door-to-door.
Most everything would fit except the Frame and forks and I\'m pretty sure I could maybe get them in Two boxes taped together.
I would then assemble it myself, and They tell me, after greasing a palm or two, have it registered as a \"Custom Built Bike\".
Thus avoiding the ridiculous customs fees.

What do ya think?
Would this work?

aerosick:

--- Quote from: GWG on July 26, 2009, 08:00:38 PM ---I need your opinion.
I am being told by some of my PI Expat friends that I can buy a New Harley here in Saudi where I work. They arrive here unassembled. I would Keep it unassembled and ship it door to door via Forex Boxes to my house. They run about $65 each, unlimited weight, door-to-door.
Most everything would fit except the Frame and forks and I\'m pretty sure I could maybe get them in Two boxes taped together.
I would then assemble it myself, and They tell me, after greasing a palm or two, have it registered as a \"Custom Built Bike\".
Thus avoiding the ridiculous customs fees.

What do ya think?
Would this work?

--- End quote ---

That used to work. Now they check out the serial numbers on the frame and on the motor and if your Harley is not in their computer, you would probably either lose it or face a registration fee of about double the price of a new Harley.

The \"grease\" would be around US$20,000 and up. Not worth it!

You can buy used Harleys in the Philippines.

Billy

dylanaz:
Your other option is to send it the legit way... and know ALL your fees in advance.

Or... wait 2 years and buy my FXDWG  ;D

GWG:
Thanks for the info!
That little tid-bit may have just saved me a bundle.
Looks like I\'ll be buying used.

Any idea why someone don\'t open a HD dealership in Manila?
We\'ve got 3 of them here in Saudi. If they can make it here I\'m sure they would do good in PI.

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n:
You could try these guys.....http://www.radkustomcycles.com/forsale.htm as a strating point

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version