Itís Your Money > Banking

Accessing my money

<< < (6/6)

JoeLP:

--- Quote from: Peter on May 26, 2019, 01:26:54 PM ---In our area, Bataan/Pampanga, most large stores in the SM and Robinsons Malls will accept Visa and Mastercard credit/debit cards, as will the chain stores, PureGold/SaveMore, in the provincial towns, as well as pharmacies, Mercury/Watsons.

What I have found, and this makes me scratch my head  ??? ??? , some places do not accept debit or pre-paid cards of any persuasion, only credit cards. I queried this in our local coffee shop and they just said it is the owner's policy. Seems to me that with a debit card they get their money immediately and don't have to wait. Maybe there is some sort of commission or kickback from the card issuer?

Peter

--- End quote ---
That's good.  When I was in Orion, Bataan back in 2009, very few places accepted even credit cards back then.  I think there were a few in Balanga just north of Orion.  Even the ferry was a cash payment when I use to take it to Manila.  I could use the card in Manila to buy passes on the ferry back to Bataan, but not the other way around. 

I went back to that area in 2012 and there were a few places on the visit that did start taking credit cards and such.  I was with Chase at the time and their debit/credit card setup was usable at all of the places that accepted credit cards.  So that was a nice setup.  But haven't been back to the Bataan region since then.  Good to hear that stuff is starting to get modernized there.

M.C.A.:

--- Quote from: jjcabgou on May 25, 2019, 02:55:53 PM ---"Plastic is not reliable here", I am guessing that is location dependent, as I use my credit card on a daily basis, and I rarely have problems.  Gas for the car, restaurants, grocery stores etc.   If I had no access to cash, I would have no problem living off a credit card.

--- End quote ---

Plastic works but when hit by a Typhoon things are disrupted for weeks.  We lost our roof in 2014 and many power lines were downed and very large trees so the whole area I live in from Calamba Laguna to Pagsanjan Laguna was without power in most area's for two weeks and the major grocery stores and malls the card didn't work there either I had to travel much further North towards Manila to buy groceries because my cash was used to get another roof over our heads it was rough.

clarkee:
@Turo- yes, Fidelity has something like Scwab but I just inquired with a Fidelity bank representative and she told me that yes, there is no charge for using a foreign ATM but I then inquired about a foreign transaction fee.  I asked was there a 1% foreign transaction fee applied to withdrawals and she was a little hesitant in telling me that actually, fidelity bank charges a 2% foreign transaction fee instead.  Just like the good ole banksters for you, give in one hand and take twice as much from the other.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version