Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: We just waved goodbye to everything we own.....  (Read 25475 times)

Re: We just waved goodbye to everything we own.....
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 11:57:48 AM »
Computer to telephone is VERY cheap, not worth spending on a computer for that alone.

Colin

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 02:39:12 PM »
Computer to telephone is VERY cheap, not worth spending on a computer for that alone.

Colin

No-one suggested buying a computer

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 10:28:03 PM »

Colin

But telephones don\'t have viewing screens so you can see people on the other end...
at least not yet.   ;D 

5G videophone?!   ;D  ;D   Now THAT I might buy!   ;D  ;D
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 03:42:10 AM »
Lets keep the post along the lines of king making his move to the Phils,.. its interesting. Take a look at the last few posts and relate it to the \"How many expats does it take to change a light bulb\" by Knowdafish !!!!  Not far wrong !

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 04:55:34 AM »
Thanks Jonny,

We all have a tendency to wander in our postings, so we will all endeavor to keep it on track.
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 05:37:39 AM »
Thanks Jonny,

We all have a tendency to wander in our postings, so we will all endeavor to keep it on track.
Thanks guys.  ;D This didn\'t quite turn into the happy departure we\'d envisioned, with the parents and friends and so many goodbyes. The grass is always greener on the other side, but we seem to have forgotten just how many lovely generous people we have on this side who also made it green for us here. :(

The first year in England my wife was so lonely, with me working offshore half the year, but she eventually found her way into the Filipino underground and discovered a whole wealth of friends and connections. We\'ve had so many people pop bye to say goodbye it is touching that so many people think of us.

Today has been another 12 hour day of running round, tidying the house, arranging insurance for letting, sorting out a 101 things I should have got onto sooner. Wednesday morning I fly out to the USA for work, so if it don\'t get done by then, it don\'t get done.

I\'ll keep you all updated with how things go over there, but I haven\'t heard from the wife yet, even though they should have arrived there 12 hours ago. Seeing as everybody and their dog has a fancy cellphone nowadays, internation phone shops, or even internet cafes, seem to be a thing of the past, and with T-Mobile charging £1.50 a minute to call the UK, and £1.50 a minute for me to recieve it, I hope she doesn\'t call me on her cell.......

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 02:19:32 PM »
I got a phone call from the wife at 6am today, they\'ve arrived, all is well, and it is raining! Hah, England is going through a heat wave, and the PI is soaking wet.  :D ;D

On a bit of a downer, the house that the Mum in Law told us was almost ready to move into, that was being renovated last week, turned out to be a total wreck, and the woman who owns it tells my wife that if we pay 80,000 pesos up front to show we are \'serious\', she will start rebuilding it right away.

Yes, right, I see. Handover $2000 and watch her workers faff about for months until the money has gone, then she asks for more, and we\'ll still not have aplace to live.

Another rental \'agent\' showed her a nice place in Sunset Valley Mansions.......50,000 a month!!!!!!!!

I told the wife to just keep on looking around. I really don\'t want to pay as much in rent as we are currently paying in Mortgage in the UK.

Anybody know a nice place to live in/near Angeles???  ;D

Offline MikeBal

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 09:07:31 PM »
   In the Villa Sol and Plaridel 2 subdivisions, just off Perimeter road on the way to Korea town from the Main gate area, there are some homes that have been renovated in the last few years. Occasionally, you can find a few for rent.  Another area that might be worth looking at is the timog park/carmenville area up Friendship highway. Most of the folks I know  are paying from $250 to $500 a month, depending on the size of the house and degree of renovation/newness.
Mike from San Antonio

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 12:33:28 AM »
Great postings King, we all have this dream of moving to the Phils, but as we can see its not always the straight forward proccess we might think. Just reading about all the friends coming round to say goodbye must have hit home hard for You, your wife and the little Princess. The next big step for you I would imagine is when it comes to your next leave, not returning back to your home in UK, but a house that you haven\'t even seen or been in yet. I\'m sure you\'ll dig in and get the place just the way you want it through time,.. and again, best of luck for you all.
Interesting posts for me as I\'d like to think that I could follow in your footsteps not too far in the future.

Keep us up-to-date when you get the chance,

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 07:53:26 AM »
Thanks guys.  ;D This didn\'t quite turn into the happy departure we\'d envisioned, with the parents and friends and so many goodbyes. The grass is always greener on the other side, but we seem to have forgotten just how many lovely generous people we have on this side who also made it green for us here. :(

The first year in England my wife was so lonely, with me working offshore half the year, but she eventually found her way into the Filipino underground and discovered a whole wealth of friends and connections. We\'ve had so many people pop bye to say goodbye it is touching that so many people think of us.

This is a message I have been trying to put across for a long time, to counteract the \'paradise\' people. Every country has its good and bad points, and it is important to know and fully understand them and evaluate every aspect before making the decision to move.

Family and friends were not high on our list, both my parents are dead, and my two daughters have caused me a lot of problems in the past. We used to organise good parties for friends, but they never reciprocated, and most of them have never contacted us since we have moved. There are are number of things I miss about the UK, and some I would like to miss here in the Philippines. It is all a question of balance, and for me the Philippine wins, but only but a small margin. One of the important consideration when moving is that money from a developed country is being spent to help the poor people here.

Paradise  ??? :P

Colin

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »
I miss fish and chips.... ;)

If its any consolation i waved good bye to 3 boxes 5 months ago. They were only balikbayan but still  :P   i wondered if i would ever see my nic knacks ever again. Was sure nice to to dive into them when they arrived 3 months ago.

Does your container land in Manila first?

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2010, 06:41:20 PM »

You can get fish and chips here, but it is not the same  :(

Colin

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 09:13:31 PM »

You can get fish and chips here, but it is not the same  :(

Colin

I moved onto tempura and rice many moons ago.

Might take a few visits to resuarant to convince them that you REALLY want FISH tempura and not shrimp  :)

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 04:38:15 AM »
   In the Villa Sol and Plaridel 2 subdivisions, just off Perimeter road on the way to Korea town from the Main gate area, there are some homes that have been renovated in the last few years. Occasionally, you can find a few for rent.  Another area that might be worth looking at is the timog park/carmenville area up Friendship highway. Most of the folks I know  are paying from $250 to $500 a month, depending on the size of the house and degree of renovation/newness.
I\'ll remind my wife about Villasol and Plaridel, but she seems to have become fixated on Timog, as we lived there until 8 years ago, and she has a good friend there too. I\'ll be content to pay up to 25,000 pesos a month, $500, but not too happy about shelling out much more than that. The idea of moving to the PI was that it was warmer and cheaper.

Great postings King, we all have this dream of moving to the Phils, but as we can see its not always the straight forward proccess we might think. Just reading about all the friends coming round to say goodbye must have hit home hard for You, your wife and the little Princess. The next big step for you I would imagine is when it comes to your next leave, not returning back to your home in UK, but a house that you haven\'t even seen or been in yet. I\'m sure you\'ll dig in and get the place just the way you want it through time,.. and again, best of luck for you all.
Interesting posts for me as I\'d like to think that I could follow in your footsteps not too far in the future.

Keep us up-to-date when you get the chance,

Jonny

I try to keep my posts realistic, and like Colin said, realistic. It isn\'t all waving palm fronds and paradise. Some guys might think that, who have yet to live there, but I like to bring them back down to earth. I have a cruel streak like that.  :D

The Swagman hotel in Angeles used to do the best fish and chips I have tasted in Asia. but I haven\'t been there for nearly ten years.

As we \'speak\', I am sitting in Atlanta airport, awaiting a flight to Houston. Last night at 8pm I said goodbye to my mum and dad, and walked away up the street, hay fever had my eyes streaming for the first time this summer. :(

At 6am today I was rushing round the house, tidying away the last few items, shoving my last few clothes and sleeping quilt into the loft, locked the front door on our life in England, and took a cab to the airport.

Offline paulgee

• Sr Member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 06:48:45 PM »
An excellent \'dose of reality\' thread this. I am one of those at present unable to move from the UK until retirement, and this brings home the actuality of it all. Most people I am sure just imagine themselves one day in their home country, and the next in a paradise called the Philippines. Forgetting of course the practicalities, and emotional upheaval of leaving behind all friends and loved ones.

So thank you King, and also Colin, who does his bit in trying to keep foreigners away from his little bit of paradise  ;D. I hope nothing changes my mind when the time comes, but I am more than happy to hear negative comments and \'reality\' moments like this. All the better to get the decision right, and have no regrets.

Paul
Based in the UK, and part time in our San Fernando, Pampanga house