Just Having Fun > Chika-Chika, Chit-Chat, Philippine Related

2020/21 Philippine Family Incomes?

(1/3) > >>

Hank:
Wondering about 2021 Phils family incomes .. what would you say?

folkerts:
I have made a little search about it and I think the income inequality in Phillippines, unfortunately, is a complete phenomenon for the economics... Although, according to UN Development Programme data US's unequal distribution rates are higher, which is odd. Also, I think the data favors some of the EU countries because my brother recently bought a property in Greece and he says that the income inequality rates are worse than most of the EU countries but according to the data there is no such thing in Greece. As for the Phillippines, seems like the income distribution is even more unequal in the regions like Visayas and Mindanao. Most of the Filipinos I have talked with show EDSA Revolution and bad education as the main reason.

M.C.A.:
Hank I live on Luzon and I think something is missing from this chart because there are 106 million citizens in the Philippines and Luzon has 53.3 million so Lol...  anyway as a break down in our community the percentages seem correct.

lost_in_samoa:

--- Quote from: folkerts on January 27, 2021, 07:39:32 PM ---I have made a little search about it and I think the income inequality in Phillippines, unfortunately, is a complete phenomenon for the economics...
--- End quote ---

I'm still struggling with the concept of "income inequality".  Tell me .... just how does that work?

Case in point.

Last week I wanted to hire a man to do some simple painting for me.  Nothing complicated.  Work that I've done a thousand times.  Work that, as a child, taught me how to work.

Anyhoo ... the wife and I amble down to local kagawad and ask him if he knows someone who wants a day of trabajo.   He says he does but needs to check with the applicant first.  OK fine.

For purposes of this let's call him Tito-boy.  The next day the Kagawad and Tito-boy show up.  After introductions, we climb up the domes and detail the work to be done.  Roll some paint on and be sure to sou-sou it into any cracks or but-buts.

Then we negotiated wages.  Local going rate plus 25%.  We, the wife and I, make clear that work started on Lunes at 0800.  He was welcome to have a libre meal with us.

Pretty sweet deal.  Easy no brainer work,  bigger that usual pay, free snacks and a meal.

Well Monday rolls around and I am out on the street with my coffee waiting ..... and waiting ..... and waiting.   Finally at 1000 I give up and start the job myself.  Finished it too.

The next morning,  Tuesday,  at 0830 Tito-boy starts banging on my gate.  He is here, ready and raring to go to work.

I used to get pissed and this sort of stuff, but truth be known I've been here too long and am callused to it now.  So I look up over the closed gateway and tell him ongapo trabajo.

He gets angry and starts yelling,  that's when I get a whiff of Red Horse and Bagoong.  So I act apologetic and tell him that I already finished the work and do not have any work for him.  So sorry.

My guess is that on Sunday night he gathered all of his Pare's at the whetting shed and they had a party to celebrate his good fortune. 

Probably bought the beer and snacks on credit from the Sari Sari store.  And he woke up late, hung over in the middle of the work day, and decided not to send any word our way.

So the question I have is ........  what is income inequality?

Hestecrefter:

--- Quote from: lost_in_samoa on January 31, 2021, 04:26:11 PM ---I'm still struggling with the concept of "income inequality".  Tell me .... just how does that work?

Case in point.

--- End quote ---
Very interesting anecdote there brother lost.

But I am not sure your case in point is truly a case in point.  I see it as addressing another issue.  Perhaps better described as self-induced poverty.  You offered an opportunity to earn and Tito-boy acted in an irresponsible fashion and against his own interests in his conspicuous default.

May I ask, just what is the "going rate" in your locale?  You offered that plus 25%.  Very sporting of you.  But addressing the question of the going rate might help address whether there might have been a case of income inequality. 

Now I confess that I have made a study of the concept of "income inequality" for all of 5 minutes, with google as my teacher.  Not a very scholarly approach.

Seems to me that the notion of income inequality is something that operates within the borders of most countries, including the U.S.  My research turned up this:

In 2019, the top 20% of the population earned 51.9% of all U.S. income.3 Their average household income was $254,449. The richest of the rich, the top 5%, earned 23% of all income. Their average household income was $451,122.

The bottom 20% only earned 3.1% of the nationís income. The lower earner's average household income was $15,286.4 Most low-wage workers receive no health insurance, sick days, or pension plans from their employers. They can't get ill and have no hope of retiring. That creates health care inequality, which increases the cost of medical care for everyone.

My source for the above:

https://www.thebalance.com/income-inequality-in-america-3306190

By that standard, income inequality in the RP does not seem to be much worse than it is in America, or many other places.  For my part, I am not sure it is right that a corporate CEO should take home, say, $1 million a year, while his housekeeper takes home $20,000.  The gap is a bit unseemly, in my view.

To me, the bigger issue is inequality across borders.  I think one need not do much research to realize that Phils wages are generally noticeably lower than wages for similar work in western countries.  That is why a lot of westerners like to visit and retire in the Phils.  Back home, our incomes were modest.  In the Phils, we look like big shots.  That has bothered me since I first set foot in the Phils more than 25 years ago.  I see people there who work hard, or who would work hard given the chance, who have almost nothing compared to me.  I know I am no better, no smarter, no more hard working than they, yet I can live like a prince compared to them.  Not a feeling I enjoy.  Am I deserving and they are not?  I don't think so.

In the Phils, the international income inequality is manifest in the whole OFW scene.  Unlike the indolent Tito-boy, OFWs (and I have met quite a few), typically have tried hard to get ahead in the Phils.  They have gone to university, conducted diligent job searches, yet have been able to secure jobs there paying more than maybe P400 a day.  So, they go to the Middle East, Hong Kong, etc., to earn maybe $600 a month, for working hard for long hours indeed, while sacrificing any family life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version