Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Jonny\'s Cebu visit blog !  (Read 3611 times)

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
Jonny\'s Cebu visit blog !
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:26:46 PM »
Hello once again to all of you, I,ve just returned from another amazing 4 week holiday to the island of Cebu. Never fails to amaze me how every time I go there I learn so many new and interesting ways of the Filipino people. The welcome we got from my wife\'s family on arrival was so heart-warming, and we have only been away for 6 months ! The local festival was taking place the second week we were there, so every evening for the first week there was the distand sound of the heavy drums and ratatatat of the smaller ones. I can still  see the look on their faces as they saw me approach with the video camera and gave it all they could to impress me. What a rythm these guys can produce from what looks like old 45 gallon drums !!! Every night there was some form of entertainment, beautiful girls dancing ( or was it ladyboys ?? )haha. I\'ve seen many festivals in my own country, but never seen or felt an atmosphere like I did watching the locals live it up.
I\'m sure the pig population of the village was halved or wiped out during this time too, every household we visited had roasted pork of some sort, guess my favourite is there own style meatball or spare ribs,(delicious ). Thank goodness the weather was great too, I watched for weeks before we went , to see what the weather over there was like, and sure enough it was beautiful sunshine from morning till night every day bar one.
My 9 year old son went with us this year again, and he ended up going to the local school for 2 afternoons with his freind, ( with permission from the teacher of course ) I took him along the first day and when he went into the class they all gave him a huge cheer. He settled down with his freinds at the front of the class, and was soon involved with the rest of them. First day he came back from school he was carrying 6 letters from differant girls in the class,...lucky lad !! Next day he went back, I was told he was holding hands in the playground with his new-found love, and he came back with a lovely long letter from her with her address so he can write to her. ( maybe be a good story for a life-long relationship if it lasts ? ) Can\'t believe how many new freinds he made this time, they were waiting at the door every morning for him to go swimming in the sea ( 5-6 hours most days ! ) I never saw him for hours on end, but I never felt he was in any danger and I trusted all the locals to keep watch on him while he was away playing. So if anyone was wondering if its safe to take kids over there I would say yes, in the provinces, but I did keep him close to me when we were in the City.
This time round we decided to try a differant Hotel for a change, and what a pleasant change it was. We stayed for a few days at the Marriott hotel, next to Ayala mall to get some rest and my wifes shopping list for coming home. I can highly recoment this place to anyone. The rooms were immaculate, the pool spotless and all the staff were very welcoming. My son and and me stayed most of the time by the pool, the draught beer was spot-on and the background music just right. We met quite a few foriegners there, had a few drinks with them and the evening pool-side BBQ was just out of this world. All you could eat for around £6 , all freshly prepared and cooked to your order whenever you wanted it. Will never forget the smell, the smoke, the music and the laughing under a beautifull starry night sky !!! They also have a band playing by the pool during the BBQ !
All in all, a very enjoyable holiday again, one which I can truely say I could have stayed for another 4 weeks, but sadly need to come back for my work. All good things come to an end, and I realised that the morning after we arrived home, when I looked out the kitchen window to see the usual Scottish rain blowing sideways across our garden !!!
Maybe do it all again in 6 months time, depending on how the economy survives ??/

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Re: Jonny\'s Cebu visit blog !
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 01:01:58 AM »
Great post Jonny.  Great idea letting you son go to school with friends, he\'ll remember that for the rest of his life.  I wonder, how much weight did you gain?

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 11:45:20 PM »
Ha ha ,...got a bit of a problem talkin bout my weight !! Got home from the trip, downloaded the photo\'s onto the computer and couldn\'t believe how far the \"middle-age- spread \" had spread !! Worst thing was, I asked my wife, \"have I really got that fat \", she politely replied \" yes \"  !!!
O well, just gotta get my head down in the garden over the next few months and burn it off ,

Jonny
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

Offline stillbilly2002

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 03:42:20 AM »
 ;D great post ,glad your son had such a good time, stillbilly2002

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
Re: Jonny\'s Cebu visit blog ! (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 05:43:51 AM »
Folks,...I\'m no writer, but let me try to take you through the memory of our trip to Kawasan falls ;

The family woke up as usual around 6.30 am, myself, I rose around 8.00am. This was the day I had planned to take my son (Troy) to Kawasan falls, around 1 hours steady drive on the motorbike along some beautiful sea-front scenic roads. We both had a nice breakfast of scrambled eggs from the hens round the back of our house, then got sun-screened up for the drive. The bike was a brand new Honda XRV 125, and as it had been left in the sun outside the front door for half an hour, we couldn\'t sit on the red hot seat ( lesson learned ), so waited a few minutes till it coold. Troy always sat on the front, between my legs, and held on to the cross- bar on the handlebars. Off we went, shorts, vest tops and sunglasses, I know some will dissagree, but we never wore helmets, I never really went fast, and I\'ve driven big bikes sinse I was a teenager. We were both amazed at the reception we got whenever we passed any locals on the side of the road. Everyone would smile, or shout, or wave. In a way, it made me proud to be showing my son what kind of people live in his step-mum\'s country. We drove through a few nice little towns, dodging the old smoky tricycles, and always being the centre of attraction when we pulled up behind one full of school kids and they spotted Troy on the bike. When we reached the car park for the falls, we pulled in and parked up. This young lad walked up to us, head held high, he says you going to the falls ? I said to him yes, to which he replies, ok, I\'m your guide today. No your not, I told him, I\'ve been before and know the way, but if you make sure the bike is still here when I get back down there\'s 50 peso for you. So off we trekked up through the trees, following the lovely trickling crystal clear water. Its quite a long walk, especially if you forgot to bring the juice with you as I did ! Finally, we got our first glance of the falls through the trees, so troy decided to run on to check the place out. Before I even got us a table he had peeled off his shorts and was heading towards the bamboo rafts to jump off into the beautiful blue water. Next thing, a waiter stops me in my tracks to explain that its 300 peso for him to pull us out in front of the falls and back. I just looked and laughed at him and said it was a crazy price for 10 mins work. Ok then , you can have it for 200 pesos ? No thanks bud, he\'s a good swimmer, he can swim over there if he wants to. So I sit down on the little bridge to watch him. Surprise, surprise, out onto a close-by raft walks this absolutely beautiful model, surounded by cameras and videos. Well, she preened and posed, got filmed from every angle, someone holding a sun reflector up in front of her, the whole works ! The place was not very busy being a weekday, so I had a front row seat. Don\'t know what kind of magazine it was meant for, but it got pretty hot when they pulled the raft under the falling water and the ass started pouting upwards. Thank god Troy was more interested in trying to find fish under the water with his goggles !! ( I did get a \"hello\" and a smile when she squeezed by me on the bridge). Time to head back home, so we got our things together and started the walk back to the bike. The scenery is quite incredible on the walk down if you look way up into the rocks. I like to look at these places and think how long it took to form these rock formations. Its a well kept place there, and would recommend it for a day out, but take along your own drinks/ food if you can,.. its quite pricey up there.
It was a nice drive home , stopping off in a village for a drink of cold juice each and a bun from \"Julie\'s bakeshop\". We arrived home mid afternoon, Troy jumped off the bike, grabbed another pair of smim trunks and headed off over the road to the beach to join his pals in the sea till sun-set. A very tired wee lad got into bed that night and slept like a log, ( so did his dad !!! )

Hopefully, a couple of photo\'s attached below ??

\"Photobucket\"

Jonny

Offline grizzi

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 05:02:44 PM »
J,

Looks like a great time had by all.  Its fresh views like these that really open the Philippines to other readers.

Thanks.

8)

Greg
Greg & Almira  ;-)

Offline samatm

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:43:28 PM »
very nice time in Cebu!  just curios how u rented your bike and how much it cost.

thanks

scott

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:00:46 PM »
Scott

The bike belonged to my wife\'s family so never rented. I\'m sure you can rent them in City though ?
Only costs were the petrol which as you will know was only pennies.

Believe me , there\'s nothing more relaxing on a very hot day than jumpng on the bike and taking a quite drive along the sea -front roads ( heaven )

Jonny

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 06:18:40 AM »
Excellent trip report, Jonny!  I hope it inspires others to share their trips with all of us. 

Troy will never forget the adventures he shared every day with his new Filipino pares.  Hey!  Why not allow Troy to give us his take on the trip?  He could recall his memories and \"dad\" could do the typing!  That would be a real treat!   :)

What say, dad?  ;)
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 08:53:53 PM »
Okay Jack, sounds good to me. Troy already has been typing out a report for his school back home, they asked him to make a scrapbook project on the Philippines culture in return for \"giving\" him an extra 3 weeks over his Easter holiday period. (members will know why he gets special allowances).
We kept a simple diary and linked it up to the photo\'s we took, and it should be ready by next week for his teacher.

I\'ve posted a photo of one of his memorable moments when there was a tropical rainstorm and he decided it was good fun to keep playing basketball even though he was soaked to the skin. I remember he even encouraged the local lads to come out from their shelter and play along because the rain wasn\'t cold !!

And one of the many big landslides that occurred last year during the freak storms

Jonny

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:58:33 PM »
That would be awesome!  It will be great to hear from him and to get his perspective on life in the Philippines!  Certainly not your everyday ramblings of a bunch of old-timers.   ;D 

Looking forward to seeing his report here.
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH