Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: ATV\'s  (Read 5127 times)

grim7us

ATV\'s
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:44:35 PM »
Are ATV\'s available in PI, I am looking for a Honda, Kawasaki or Yamaha.  I have looked on line but found little info.

shadow

Re: ATV\'s
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:43:43 AM »
Yes, they are available, but for the Japanese brands more expensive than in the States.

There are many China models available at low cost. Most are absolute crap. There are also Taiwanese brands available, such as Eton, Kymco, and Aeon (Aeon makes many Polaris models)

The Taiwan models are much better quality than the China brands, but not quite to the quality standards of the Japanese brands. The Taiwan brands cost about twice as much as the China units, and about half what the Japanese units do.

Expect to be disappointed in engine displacement options. Keep in mind that over half of the motor vehicles in this country are 660 CC or less, and that there are stiff import duties on any motorcycle over about 230 CC.

Larry in Dumaguete

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:57:04 AM »

Expect to be disappointed in engine displacement options. Keep in mind that over half of the motor vehicles in this country are 660 CC or less, and that there are stiff import duties on any motorcycle over about 230 CC.

99.9% of the motorcycles in this country, have engines of 125 -110cc some newer 4 strokes have 175cc, my scooter has 150cc. I tell you it is a big let down from riding a BMW, almost none of us are small, which our asawas like no end, with this in mind, remember to add an acceleration delay to your driving habits, when you want to go faster, open the throttle, reach down with your left hand and wind up the rubber band tighter, then get off and run beside the bike as it might go faster this way, I say might go faster.

Do not expect anything here to go fast, its for fuel efficiency not the sheer thrill of the ride.

Gone are the days of hitting 280kmph on my bemmer, they are only a dream now, I am lucky if I can get 80kmph, over the edge of a cliff with a tail wind.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 11:07:19 AM »
In the over 2 years of driving in the Philippines, I doubt if I have seen more than a handful of motorcycles over 200cc. Apart from a bit of useful acceleration, you could not use the extra power because of the majority of bad roads. Also the the very poor driving standards here would make motorcycling dangerous. I used to ride motorcycles in the UK, but it is something I would not even consider here. I read somewhere that the Philippines has the highest death rate for motorcyclists in Asia. Not sure how true it is, but it is certainly believable.

Colin

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 11:34:32 AM »
Every weekend every type of motor bike you can think of is on its way past us going to Tagaytay. I see many Japanese big bikes, Ninja\'s, Fireblades, etc & others like Ducati\'s. As for ATV\'s, yes see them around also.

shadow

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 02:38:48 PM »
In the over 2 years of driving in the Philippines, I doubt if I have seen more than a handful of motorcycles over 200cc. Apart from a bit of useful acceleration, you could not use the extra power because of the majority of bad roads. Also the the very poor driving standards here would make motorcycling dangerous. I used to ride motorcycles in the UK, but it is something I would not even consider here. I read somewhere that the Philippines has the highest death rate for motorcyclists in Asia. Not sure how true it is, but it is certainly believable.

Colin

Around here there are MANY larger bikes, Harleys, Viragos, Vmax, BMW, you name it. Although not the norm here, there are plenty to choose from. Personally, in most of our day to day driving, the XRM 110 does much better than the larger bikes. Much more maneuvereable and economical. Quite frankly, just a few years ago I would have disagreed with my present thoughts on the subject, but experience here has taught me a thing or two and changed my way of thinking.

Larry in Dumaguete

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 03:18:45 PM »
I agree with many of your points regarding the small bikes as we have 2, however with that said, big bike owners are the ones who have survived riding the little ones. We tend to stay in lanes in traffic, avoid overtaking or counterflow except in quick bursts and have the brakes to stop very quickly.

In Australia we used to call bike riders temporary Australians and I was one of them. I still long for a big bike again, want a BMW, but cannot afford one here. It would be great though, as you generally have louder horns, brighter headlights and they guy riding it more often than not has his head in the right place we tend to stay alive a lot longer. After having driven 4cyl cars, 6\'s and V8\'s I\'ll take the V8 any day, yes it uses more juice, but when u have to get out of a sticky situation having power on tap is what you need.

I find the little bikes here have candles for headlights, if they turn them on at all, and no power, when I bought my first bike here I took it back to the dealer the second day and complained there was something wrong, they checked it over and said nothing wrong, it did not go faster than 80kph, my first 185cc 2stroke 30 yrs ago did 160kph. there had to be something wrong with it, they showed me the spec, its not supposed to go faster than 90 over the edge of a cliff with a tail wind. And as I am over the bikes recommended total load limit, they said they were surprised it even went that fast.

So if you are big, get a bike with really good suspension, mine sucks I have to replace them, I bottom out on bumps and there is many of those here. Go Japanese not Korean, Taiwanese or Chinese. Get the biggest motor you can and take it for a test ride first. Remember no one on the road cares about you, just you, so ride like everyone wants to kill you, always wear a helmet, even if going to the end of the street and back, wear shoes, not sandals or flip flops.

So give me a bike with 100hp or more, its easier to get out of a bad situation by acceleration than it is by braking, learn how to ride by leaning the bike and your body at the same time, most rider here throw the bike around and keep their bodies up right, or lean their bodies and not the bike, 2 certain causes of disaster. Either way you are countering centrifugal force and that is what keeps the tire stuck to the road in a corner.

Enjoy the little bikes, they are good for a quick jaunt to the store and back, but if you have any distance to cover get something with grunt and muscle and a decent seat because you will need it.

Wayne
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline jonnyivy

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 05:21:39 AM »
Wayne,
 I do beleive I might just be the UK equivelent of yourself after reading your posts on bikes and cars. I too had several big bikes , but you know, I just cant get the hang of balancing on these little 70cc step-overs. Its like trying to balance on a damned wire fence with wheels , and I,m sure the locals get their laughs at me wavering along the road at a measly 20mph !! Gone are the days pulling wheelies on my Blackbird and R1. Interesting to read about the ATV,s, I used to race Yamaha Banshees when I was younger, and thought it would be fun to have one sitting in the garage over there for a bit of fun at the weekend. Must say though, the only real big bike I saw in Cebu provinces was a couple of years ago when I met a German guy at a petrol station driving a crome 1400cc Harley, ( what a real beauty ).
Another thing,.... I hate driving the car at night and driving over those damned big snails that are all over the roads. You just can,t miss them all, and they make a hellova crunching noise when they go under the tyres !!!

John
A True Friend Is Someone Who Sees the Pain in Your Eyes While Everyone Else Believes the Smile on Your Face

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 08:49:52 AM »
Wayne,
 I do beleive I might just be the UK equivelent of yourself after reading your posts on bikes and cars. I too had several big bikes , but you know, I just cant get the hang of balancing on these little 70cc step-overs. Its like trying to balance on a damned wire fence with wheels , and I,m sure the locals get their laughs at me wavering along the road at a measly 20mph !! Gone are the days pulling wheelies on my Blackbird and R1. Interesting to read about the ATV,s, I used to race Yamaha Banshees when I was younger, and thought it would be fun to have one sitting in the garage over there for a bit of fun at the weekend. Must say though, the only real big bike I saw in Cebu provinces was a couple of years ago when I met a German guy at a petrol station driving a crome 1400cc Harley, ( what a real beauty ).
Another thing,.... I hate driving the car at night and driving over those damned big snails that are all over the roads. You just can,t miss them all, and they make a hellova crunching noise when they go under the tyres !!!

John

Many years ago I tried my brothers Vespa and was glad to get off it, I felt very unsafe. To ride a bike properly you need to become part of it and that means a tank between your knees. There is a shop here in Puerto Princesa that has a few ATV\'s for sale and when I get my house built I will seriously thinking of getting one for a bit of fun on the beach and up in the hills.
I am glad that there is someone else that is not seeing large motorbike \'popping out of the woodwork\'  :D
I also hate driving at night, but not because of running over snails, but people and unlit motorcycles.

Colin

Offline Mike M.

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:12:52 AM »
I have been thinking of welding a 1200cc Harley to a sidecar.  I would pick up a rider, give her the needle and do my wheel stand down the road.  Another vision that I get at times is to weld a 7 foot secton between the front and back wheels, extending the chain as needed.  I would then get my entire family of 11 (inlaws) on the damned thing and go around town challenging the farm machines that are tied to a plank and which carry 10 people along the hiway at 5 k per hour.  I love those cages on wheels that have a water pump at the top of the cage and which drive a long  pulley arrangement.  Then there are the wide variety of peddle jobs that include 3 and 4 wheelers. 

ATV\'s?  We got \'em.

Mike M.