Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Positive and negative  (Read 7959 times)

Rick B

Positive and negative
« on: March 05, 2008, 08:34:59 PM »
I\'m asking for a \"positive\" and a \"negative\" aspect of life for us ex-pats here in the Philippines

I will start it off...................

positive, Being made to feel welcome in the Philippines by everyone really.

negative, sleep problems due to noise, dogs, chickens etc etc

Anyone else for some quick fire thoughts?

Re: Positive and negative
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 09:45:06 PM »
I\'m asking for a \"positive\" and a \"negative\" aspect of life for us ex-pats here in the Philippines

I will start it off...................

positive, Being made to feel welcome in the Philippines by everyone really.

negative, sleep problems due to noise, dogs, chickens etc etc

Rick,

Your chosen \'negative\' is more a case of location than a negative. Where I live there is no noise at night (my positive  8) ), no dogs, no roosters. Your solution, buy ear plugs & enjoy your chosen location or move to solve the issue!

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 01:16:32 AM »

Quick fire thoughts?  Sort of a big subject for a few words!

Positives: Good friends, good people, beautiful country, no cold winters!  A paradise in every sense of the word to me. 

Negatives: Far from old life family, though I see them regularly anyway.  Miss cold winters and snow (but not that much). 

Life is as we each want to see it.  One man\'s castle is another man\'s prison.  Here\'s a response I gave to another expat a few years ago, who couldn\'t (or wouldn\'t) see beyond the crowds, diesel smoke, bustle of a public market, roosters and being lied to and cheated.  He wrote about nothing positive.  He reminded me of the Al Capp character Joe Btfsplk: World\'s worst jinx and pessimist who always traveled with a dark cloud over his head (name changed to protect the guilty):

\"Whatever discomfort I may find here is my problem, but oddly enough I\'ve been very comfortable in this culture and country and haven\'t encountered any discomfort that I wouldn\'t find anywhere else, even back home. 

\"It\'s all in attitude, Joe.  If by coming here you expect to be annoyed by \"high noise levels, getting scammed and other issues\", you certainly will be.  This is true wherever in the world you choose to live.  The Filipinos among whom you have chosen to live don\'t have that freedom of choice, to move wherever the mood strikes them.  Over the generations they have devised custom and lifestyle that suits their standard of living.  In my view we are their guests and strangers here.  We are the ones who\'ve chosen to come here to live.  It is upon us to adapt to and accept the lifestyle prevalent here.  I\'ve come here by choice, my decision. 

\"I think we all agree that the value of this list is to help others adapt to the differences here.  You might help the newbie adjust and get along or you might help him become just another Ugly American, your choice.\"

Rick

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 04:23:45 AM »
POSITIVES--Peace and quiet, the people, the climate
NEGATIVES--The falling dollar, I\'ll get back to you if I ever think of another one.

Rick

Offline Mike M.

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 06:18:01 AM »
An incomplete potpourri follows:

Positives--  opportunity to continue working as I like (Im 70), opporuntity to make change, caring attitude of Filipinos, Filipino willingness to accept any challenge, carabao in fields, strange things to eat found on street, cheap, my katulong,  red horse beer, beautiful women, apparent lack of concern with aging, respect for elders, shining white smiles,  comaraderie of my barcada, work-hard attitude of my students, sun-temperature, acceptance, life style.

Negatives-  smoke(vehicles, burning fields, burning garbage), traffic, pot holes, deception, corruption, hidden costs, obvious cost of poverty to children, selfishness, lack of vegetables, begging, gossip.

Mike M.   

ACKelley

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 07:28:02 AM »
POSITIVES:
Beautiful weather; warm, friendly people; close family ties; \"Dodge City\" feeling to driving; cheaper cost of living; ladies who would make jeans makers proud (they all look good); cheap day labor; reasonable dental and medical costs; generous, nonjudgmental nature of the Filipino.

NEGATIVES:
Everyone loves music, and wants the whole neighborhood to hear what they are playing; propensity to keep dogs around just to hear them bark; white-nuckle driving; oblivious walkers, bikers, jeepney drivers, car and truck drivers who never seem to realize there are others around; corruption in all levels of government; firm belief that all foreigners are rich, and will want to share; whitening products and nose jobs.  My tendency to be cynical and judgemental.
Tony

Offline graham

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 02:36:35 PM »
Rick,
Can\'t think of any negatives yet, so far all positives. Ooops, yes I can, my Fiancee when she is asleep moves all over the bed and I end up on the very edge of the bed, on my side, while she is sprawled out. I have on 1 occassion actually fallen out of bed, jeez dem tiles is hard, woke me up real quick. ;D ;D I remember reading a post about a guy who bought a \"white noise\" generator. He switches it on and has the speakers set at a reasonable level that blocks out all sound and he sleeps well. he also had a problem area like you do.

Graham

Offline shortman

• Sr Member
  • This account is now being used by his widow
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 05:46:35 PM »
positive: jolibee, mc do,sayas etc, is close enough to give choice of fast food snacks (Tagb,City)

Negative: Court activities and case appearences is like watching grass grow.

Effective November 2014 this account is now being used by Lar, Shortman's widow.

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 07:30:35 PM »
Positive : Filipinas, smiles, food, beaches, warm climate, relaxed style of life

Negatives: Tampo, avoidance of direct answers....getting used to both......Unbelievably high prices on used cars and also electronics

up2u

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 05:55:39 PM »
Positives freindly people, exelent visa situation, fairly laid back local lifestyle, check daily living apart from at the moment, good weather
Negs, high prices on certain items, the never ending belief that I am rich, bad traffic and worse drivers.

On a side note I live in a bad dog and cock noise area. The way to kill the noise is to have a fan or aircon running in the bedroom, we have 2 fans running and no longer get woken up at 6am, by screching cockerels.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 05:52:01 AM »
Positive:  They are all lovely Filipinos  :D.

Negative: Adjusting to those all lovely Filipinos lifestlye, culture & environment  :)

Offline wfox11

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »
All of the above.

Excellent earplugs can be found at Ace Hardware, in the safety equipment aisle.
Ronald Reagan said \"sometimes our right hand doesn\'t know what our far-right hand is doing.\"

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 01:22:39 PM »
However the use of earplugs can have detrimental effects unless you give a couple of months prior warning to your asawa that your hearing is failing (Selectively), only place in right before going to sleep but not immediately after going to bed, your asawa might want to talk, but if you have your earplugs in you won\'t be able to respond to her needs...

As for the selective use, only when the pitch of her sweet soothing voice raises to the point approaching said \"anemic cockerels \", should they be applied covertly, at the same time head for the ref, grab a beverage and head outside to enjoy the peace and quiet of your earplugs with a cold one.

Of course this is only advice as I would never be caught dead doing this, lest I become dead after my asawa finishes with me and my earplugs. But as I am already hard of hearing, I don\'t need em\', I am already deaf and she knows it. ;D

Wayne

Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline jryals

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 12:09:02 AM »
Positive: people, weather( warm/hot good  Cold/snow Bad) Food,Family, and for some reason I have to say that the view of coconut trees is a great sight to me.Smiles and the fun on the roads.

Negative: Trash every where, the fun on the roads, the price for me is different than what my wife will pay if I,m not there.

But after 4 years here in Korea I,ll take anything the RP as better
Life can be full of happiness if YOU let it in

butseriouslyuk

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008, 03:48:18 AM »
I think I\'m going to have to go and get some earplugs. My sunday morning lay in was recently ruined by neighbours ( actually a caretaker and family living on an adjacent lot ) starting their karaoke at 07:45 am, full blast. They are at it several nights during the week also, drinking, shouting, singing etc. Just one household making a nuisance of themselves. Noise from dogs and chickens I can handle, but \'Micheal Learns to Rock\' is really starting to bug me.

Guess I shouldn\'t complain as I helped pay for the damn karaoke machine by employing the guy to do some work on my lot.