Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: coconuts after Yolanda  (Read 11701 times)

Offline FastWalk

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
coconuts after Yolanda
« on: March 05, 2016, 02:48:33 AM »
For us most of the old trees are producing again after Yolanda.  The frustration of all the broken and lost trees is annoying as result of the storm.

Did anyone try planting the fast growing coconut trees ?   I just had the regular ones planted next to the broken ones but it takes long time to be producing again with the standard ones.

Its all good.
Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Offline copusmaximus

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Re: coconuts after Yolanda
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 10:55:08 AM »
my gf has land in samar was not effected by the storm but i was looking into planting more trees untill i read its 8 years to produce . thats long term investment short term is to mix in mango or banana trees they grow well together im read and much faster turnaround.

Offline cogon88

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 11:44:08 AM »
I would forget the Mango Trees 12 years ago I had 500 Trees then 7 years ago a small typhoon came lost about 150 of them, re-planted all of them just getting ready to produce again then along comes Yolanda I now have 5 tress left

They do not do well with typhoons, go with the bananas

Offline JoeLP

• Global Moderator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »
Ditto on the mango. Also, mango have much more upkeep on a consistent basis. 

Banana trees are cool, but also, pretty much one and dones.  One season with bananas and then forget about it pretty much, or cut down and regrow again.

Coconut take time, and I would stick to the regular ones.  Have some friends on Babon(Northern Samar) that only use and grow those on their properties.  Soon as they reach production, they just keep producing.  The guys I see often and talk to use them as a wall against storms.  They plant them close together right behind the wall along their property edge and sorta build a "bigger, higher wall" against storm wins. 

So they grow them with the intent of using them as a buffer for their properties, while also enjoying yearly production for as long as they last. 

We had a big storm hit us a couple months back.  Most of the trees held up, but, they live in a nice wooded area where they bought their lots so there are Narra trees and other trees up all around their lots that also provide protection.  So that also helps.
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.