Getting Prepared For The Philippines > Laws, Regulations, Taxes as Applied to Foreigners

Manila knife laws

(1/2) > >>

thrilla:
I was wondering what is the knife laws in the philippines... am i allowed to carry a knife on me when visiting.. i saw another forum topic about guns.. but nothing about knives..

any knife rules/regulations would help.

i plan to be going out late at night... and was wondering if i could carry one.

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n:
Anywhere that you think a knife might help you out, you\'d be better spending your money on a taxi

Lee2:
Most Filipinos are better with knives than anyone who is not trained, so I doubt a knife would help the average person, but with that said, I carry a knife with me everywhere that we go within the Philippines and not as much as a weapon but as a tool that I have found useful many times during our trips into the provinces and even at home......... I do not know of any knife laws in the Philippines that would make it illegal for a person to carry a knife for legal purposes........... I have a number of PNP friends and asked them all and they have all said it was not illegal to carry......... I did have a mall security guard refuse to allow me into the mall in Cebu once and wanted me to give him my knife for safe keeping, and then changed his mind after I told him that I have carried that pocket knife all over the world and I would leave rather than turn it in, he then told me to just sign a book he had and describe the knife and that I could enter with it...... I did and above my signature was a list of people who had entered with guns and most said PNP or military titles....... It was not really a matter of giving up the knife as the thought that I might never see it again and it was a knife I have had many years and did not wish to lose.......

I also agree on taking taxis rather than walking at night, I do whenever I am with my wife and when alone, sometimes I walk....... I always have a throw down pack of small money and keep the rest hidden, but in over 15 year I have never had to use it, common sense is better than any weapon but having a weapon for insurance never hurts unless you do not know how to use it and then it may be used against you or even escalate the encounter that could have ended with throwing the money and running away...... No human life is worth a few pesos IMHO, even if is that of a robber who may just be doing what he has to do to feed his family....... And no, I do not condone anyone robbing anyone for any reason, but in poor countries like the Philippines it may be all they can do to feed their family and what might you do if your children were starving. 

Below is the law.
 http://www.chanrobles.com/bataspambansabilang6.htm

Section 1.  Paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine is hereby amended to read as follows: .chan robles virtual law library
\"3.  It is unlawful to carry outside of one\'s residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as \"knife\", \"spear\", \"pana\", \"dagger\", \"bolo\", \"barong\", \"kris\", or \"chako\", except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood or in pursuit of a lawful activity. Any person found guilty thereof shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment of not less than one month nor more than one year or a fine of not less than Two Hundred Pesos nor more than Two Thousand Pesos, or both such imprisonment and fine as the Court may direct.\".chan robles virtual law library

tom.inbigdtexas:

--- Quote from: Mr. Lee on August 04, 2009, 05:08:57 AM ---
Below is the law.

...It is unlawful to carry outside of one\'s residence any... \"knife\"..., except where such articles are being used as necessary tools... or in pursuit of a lawful activity.

--- End quote ---

Based on the quoted statute, it appears that it is unlawful to carry a knife in the RP for personal protection. 

Rules of statutory interpretation are pretty universal, and where something is permitted, e.g., carrying a knife, in the \"pursuit of a lawful activity,\" or such similar language, it is usually interpreted by the courts to mean that the permitted item is reasonably necessary to the pursuit of a specific lawful activity, or at least customarily used to enhance the pursuit of that specific lawful activity, i.e., having a knife for fishing, harvesting, carving, etc.

Even though going shopping, or sightseeing, or bar hopping, or just wandering around town is \"lawful\" and is an \"activity,\" a knife is not reasonably necessary to the pursuit of those activities.  You might not feel safe, or even be safe, engaging in those activities without a knife, a gun, or other personal protection items, but those activities can be, and customarily are, pursued without those items.

If \"pursuit of a lawful activity\" were interpreted to mean that you can carry whatever weapon makes you feel safe anytime you are engaged in a lawful activity, then you could carry a weapon pretty much anytime and anywhere... sitting on your porch, strolling around town or eating in a cafe.  This unintended result is usually colloquially described by courts as \"the exception swallowing the rule.\" That is to say, the rule (unlawful to carry a knife outside one\'s residence) is swallowed by the exception (except pursuit of a lawful activity).  Such result is not allowed by standard rules of statutory interpretation.

OK, everybody who reads this owes me 50 cents. ??? ;D ;D

Tom in Big D     

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n:
I understand that some knives may in themselves be illegal bali-song or butterfly knife for one. The kris may be another...unless used for display purposes.

I love the look of them and also the artistry when used in the right hands

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version