Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Link to Forum post  (Read 3815 times)

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Link to Forum post
« on: January 05, 2010, 01:38:05 AM »
I sometimes see within a post a hyperlink to another post on the forum.  How is the correct \"address\" of the other post determined... or how is the insertion of the link done otherwise?

Thanks,

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline aerosick

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Link to Forum post
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 02:21:29 AM »
I sometimes see within a post a hyperlink to another post on the forum.  How is the correct \"address\" of the other post determined... or how is the insertion of the link done otherwise?

Thanks,

Tom in Big D

I open 2 Tabs (windows) of the Forum. I go to the Post that I want to Link, then copy what\'s in the Address Bar. If I was to do this one, it looks like this:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,3223.msg24749.html#msg24749

I also have a Firefox Add On that lets me make just the Title of the Link show.

Is this what you\'re talking about? Or...

That\'s my way...

Billy
"We're here to preserve democracy, not practice it."

Gene Hackman: Crimson Tide ~ 1995

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 02:39:24 AM »

I open 2 Tabs (windows) of the Forum. I go to the Post that I want to Link, then copy what\'s in the Address Bar. If I was to do this one, it looks like this:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,3223.msg24749.html#msg24749

Is this what you\'re talking about? Or...

Exactly what I was referring to.  If I would put my brain in gear, I should have realized that if I just opened the other post, the information would be staring right at me in the Address Bar.  D\'oh...

As always, Billy, thanks for a quick and correct answer.

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:54:34 AM »

I open 2 Tabs (windows) of the Forum. I go to the Post that I want to Link, then copy what\'s in the Address Bar.

My first effort resulted in my posting a link to the topic, but not the individual post.  I overlooked an obvious last step. So --

- begin your new post; then

- open a new tab (window) and go to the post you wish to link to,

- click on the \"RE:...\" at the top of the new post,

- check the Address Bar and make sure the address now ends with (example) #msg12345

- copy and past the Address Bar info into your pending new post

- finish your new post, preview it, correct your really obvious spelling/syntax errors ;D, and post it.

The link will appear inactive while composing your post, but when you click \"preview\" or \"post,\" the link will activate.

Thanks again, Billy, for helping out a \"know-it-all\"... but \"tech challenged\"... member.

Tom in Big D

Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 09:17:58 AM »
Tom,

You are learning too much too quickly, I will have to resign my post as geek and defer it to you. You can now handle all tech support requirements for the forum.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline tom.inbigdtexas

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »
Tom,

You are learning too much too quickly, I will have to resign my post as geek and defer it to you. You can now handle all tech support requirements for the forum.

YIKES... Wayne, somewhere in the last 10 days or so Dylanaz posted something about the quality of tech support at some of the major tech companies... something to the effect of someone he knew getting a job as tech support based on her experience of having a Yahoo email account. ;D

So, it seems that my experience of having both - yes, both - a hotmail email account and having successfully figured out (with darn little help from Billy) how to insert a hyperlink into a post, should adequately prepare me for the job.

Now... lets talk turkey about an appropriately haughty job title, salary, fringe benefits, paid vacation, etc.  I want at least what Aerosick, Gray Wolf, GregW and that Goober Modulator guy get --- plus 10% --- and a golden parachute.

Tom in Big D
Dallas, Tx, USA
Mactan, Cebu, PH

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »
Tom,
Unless you have a very strong Indian or Chinese accent, you will probably not be a good candidate for a tech support job. Also you are probably now over qualified as well. But good luck on your job search...lol
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS