Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Ok, new question from the new guy  (Read 3959 times)

Offline Westernman

• Sr Member
Ok, new question from the new guy
« on: April 11, 2012, 01:28:25 AM »
OK, just wondering about a hobby of mine and its status there in the Philippines.

Do they make movies often there? I would imagine yes, but never heard anything about it. I do acting on the side as a hobby and small (sometimes very small) source of income and was wondering if I could find a niche over there? Afterall, I always read about how we stick out overthere and are looked at differently, so I thought maybe there was a way to take advantage of that difference and put it to use.

I don\'t speak the language yet and probably never will have more than a rudimentary understanding of it, but it doesn\'t take my language to be a heavy in a movie or something like that.

I\'ve done extra work in films, a PBS-NOVA show and some industrial videos here in the states and everyone cast me because they wanted \"a look\" like mine. Usually I am type cast as a cop, govt agent or something like that (because of my hair), but I\'m OK with it.

Just something I got to thinking about while I was reading some of the \"how do you spend your day\" threads on this site.

Thanks as always.

Jason
You will always miss the shot you don't take.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
Re: Ok, new question from the new guy
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 02:33:21 AM »
There are plenty of movies being made in the Philippines.
There just are not too many foreign people with acting experience that speak the language fluently
If you can master Tagalog, you might have a future playing typecast Kano roles (like CIA agents, Military, or maybe even evil foreign mob bosses/drug lords) who knows...
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:14:57 PM »
I was reading somewhere that there is talk of possibly an upcoming James Bond movie being filmed in the Philippines.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Westernman

• Sr Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 08:42:16 PM »
I was reading somewhere that there is talk of possibly an upcoming James Bond movie being filmed in the Philippines.
That wouldn\'t surprise me as they are often scouting for unique locations to film parts of a film. Sometimes it is just the second team getting some aerial footage, sometimes more.

As it was suggested; I need to learn some of the language unless I\'m playing a mute or one of those thugs that just gets whacked without so much as a word. Maybe I can get off a gurgle as I die, how do you gurgle in Tagalog?  ;D

As I said, I\'m not great by any means, just like to do it for fun. Just thought that maybe the fact that I will typically stand out there may actually be put to some good news.

You\'ll always miss the shot your afraid to take right!

Thanks,

Jason

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 11:07:41 PM »
Jason,

With your natural good looks and well toned body you will have all the girls in the Philippines clamboring over you.   ;D  Do some research and locate the production companies who make the Phlippine movies and teleseryes (TV dramas).  Most are located in or near Manila.  I bet you\'ll be able to find some who would be glad to talk with you and maybe sign you to play some small bit parts.  As your language skills get better, it can only help you in gaining work in the industry.  

Good luck!  Looking forward to seeing you on TV one day soon!   :)  
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline BudM

• Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:39:52 AM »
That wouldn\'t surprise me as they are often scouting for unique locations to film parts of a film. Sometimes it is just the second team getting some aerial footage, sometimes more.

As it was suggested; I need to learn some of the language unless I\'m playing a mute or one of those thugs that just gets whacked without so much as a word. Maybe I can get off a gurgle as I die, how do you gurgle in Tagalog?  ;D

As I said, I\'m not great by any means, just like to do it for fun. Just thought that maybe the fact that I will typically stand out there may actually be put to some good news.

You\'ll always miss the shot your afraid to take right!

Thanks,

Jason

As soon as I can find time, I will try to remember and locate that info that I saw pertaining to it and pass it on.
Whatever floats your boat.

Offline Westernman

• Sr Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 01:13:32 AM »
Thanks Wolf and Bud, I do appreciate your kind words and information.  :D

I should have guessed that all the action would be in and around Manila. I\'ll have to check and see if Cebu has any players as well.

I like to have hobbies, more the better, so I thought to ask.

I think will will start with the language skills soon, no time to waste. I found a post here where Simone put in some \"Survival Tagalog\" which is a good start. However, I need to listen to pronunciation and learn to conjugate basic verbs to make any real headway.

Thanks!