Living in The Philippines > RA 9225, Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition

Is there a way to regain Philippine citizenship if you were born before 1973.

<< < (2/4) > >>

Thatís the reason I asked the question about his fatherís citizenship status at the time of his birth.

You always try to connect RA 9225 to all citizenship issues but it has nothing to do with the situation of PeteDawg, it had nothing to do in my case and also has nothing to do with your situation either. RA 9225 only applies to a Philippine citizen that went through the legal process in the US courts to denounce their Philippine citizenship in order to acquire US citizenship. You must first follow the path of denouncing your Philippine citizenship in US courts in order to qualify for the RA 9225 path back to Philippine citizenship.  I never went to US court to denounce Philippine citizenship at any time so reaquiring Philippine citizenship through RA 9225 didnít apply to me in any way. And as far as I know you didnít denounce your Philippine citizenship in US court so RA 9225 doesn't apply to you either. And the same for PeteDawg

So everything hinges on the citizenship status of PeteDawg s father at the time of PeteDawg s birth.

So yes If joining the US military means his father was a US citizen and that was his status at the time or PDs birth then PeteDawg is not a Philippine citizen.

Welcome to the group. May your wounds heal and you enjoy your life here. Seems Art and Hitecountry have the skinny on this one covered. Good luck.

Art, just a re(tired) Fil-Am:
I know all about RA 9225 which does not pertain to Pete or myself and just eluded my thinking for a moment until I could regroup! This topic was just under the RA 9225 heading only for those who were or are former Filipino Citizens!
Your rebuttal gave me a chance to go over what files I've saved on my hard drive concerning this issue!

In actuality there's another option besides RA 9225 to those who may fall under this criteria below if one's Filipino father was a Filipino Citizen under the Philippine Constitutional Law of 1935 or both parents were Filipino Citizens if the child was born after 1973 under the Philippine Constitutional Law of 1973:

What is a Recognition of citizenship?
What is a Recognition of citizenship? Imagine a child who was born abroad, say in the United States of America, of a Filipino mother or father or of Filipino parents, what then is the childís citizenship?

Citizenship of a person may be determined through the principle of jus soli and jus sanguinis. The Philippines adheres to jus sanguinis principle. It states that a child will acquire the citizenship of his parents in spite of the country of his/her birth. US follows the jus soli principle which says that a child will acquire the citizenship of the country where he/she is born.

The scenario above will lead us to a determination that the child is both a Filipino and American citizen at the same time. But, on the part of the Philippine Government, there is one more thing to obtain before a person can be acknowledged as indeed a citizen of the Philippines, and that should be recognition as a Filipino citizen.
It is an act of conferring Philippine citizenship to a person born in a foreign country whose father or mother is a Filipino citizen. In this sense, only persons with dual citizenship may apply for recognition.

The following are the requirements for recognition:
Petition by way of letter request from the person concerned or from either or both parents or legal guardian;
Birth certificate or Report of Birth of applicant / child;
Birth certificate of petitioner /parent;
Marriage contract of parents;
Applicantís / childís passport;
Petitionerís / parentís passport;
Affidavit of citizenship executed by applicantís parents; and
Proof of Filipino citizenship of petitioner / applicantís parent at the time of birth of the applicant/child.
Any document issued by foreign governments and executed in a foreign country shall be duly authenticated by the authorized officer of the Philippine Embassy or Consulate that has jurisdiction over them. Affidavits must be notarized. Any document should be officially translated to English or Filipino under the seal of the authorized officer of the appropriate foreign embassy.

It is only when the Order of Recognition has been affirmed by the Secretary of Justice that the order becomes final. The Bureau of Immigration will afterwards issue the Identification
Certificate as a Filipino citizen.

Who can apply?
A foreign national, who wishes to be acknowledged as a Filipino citizen, whose father and/or mother was/were Filipino citizen/s at the time of the applicantís birth

Where to apply? BI Main Office

What to bring?
1. Checklist with complete documentary requirements
2. Application Form

How to apply?
Secure the Checklist of required documents from either at the Public Information and Assistance Unit (PIAU) at BI G/F Main Office or from the official BI Website.
Submit the documents for pre-screening to the Central Receiving Unit (CRU)
Get the Order of Payment Slip (OPS).
Pay the required fees.
Submit copy of Official Receipt.
Attend hearing. Please refer to the Official Receipt for the schedule and venue of the hearing.
If approved, claim Identification Certificate.

How much does it cost?
Application Fee              Php 1, 000. 00
Certification Fee                      500. 00
DOJ Processing Fee              1, 500. 00
Legal Research Fee                    20. 00
Identification Certificate        3, 000. 00
Service Fee                         5, 000. 00
Legal Research Fee (LRF) for each immigration fee except
Head Tax and Fines                   30. 00
Express Fee (Certification)        500. 00
Express Fee (Filing)                 500. 00
Express Fee (IC Processing)      500. 00
TOTAL                        PHP 12, 550. 00


--- Quote from: Art, "Just a re(tired) Fil-Am" on July 01, 2014, 03:44:27 PM ---I know that RA 9225 does not pertain to Pete or myself, this topic was just under the RA 9225 heading, but it could depending on what type of Certificate Pete has!

--- End quote ---

All that I agree.

Hello Art n Hitek,

First, I want to say thank you for the information you're providing.  I have had a steep learning curve since being in the Philippines.  I have my father's Naturalization Papers and he was made a US citizen on January 9th, 1955 in the Filipino Camp in Guam.  So I guess that means I am up $hit Creek without a paddle??? LOL!!!  Pastilan... I was hoping there for just a brief second that there was another way to attain Dual Citizenship.  It would make things so much easier with what I am dealing with.

I'm just curious why they chose that date January 17th, 1973.  It seems pretty arbitrary to me.  It's one of those things where I scratch my head and say "that's the Philippines for you."  ;) 

Basically, I am like you Art... my ACR card says "TOURIST"... IYAW!!! 



[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version