Itís Your Money > Banking

Bank Accounts and Credit Cards

<< < (5/5)

Peter:

--- Quote from: David690 on December 18, 2018, 02:21:18 PM ---Any contract that you make with the lot owner is something that will have to be negotiated and agreed by both parties.  Unless he agrees to it as part of the contract, I don't believe there is any obligation on him to compensate you for any improvements or additions that you make to the lot, and as a consequence I think he will assume that the cottage will become his.  Most people leasing land on which to build, go for a really long term lease, like 50 years, not 3 years extendable to 10.

--- End quote ---

One of the main problems with any type of land lease here, is when the owner of the property (the lessor) who has entered into the lease contract, dies.

Their legal descendants may resort to legal (and often illegal) methods to break the contract and remove the lessee/occupier, so they can sell/dispose of the land. Or just take over what they may see as a profitable business they think they can make money from. The more legal descendants involved, the greater the danger of this happening.

This could mean extended periods of litigation, as well as expensive legal bills, by the lessee to assert their rights.

Peter

gregpinton:
Sorry but i am going to continue this Lease discussion in my main Topic below, should you wish to continue.

http://www.livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=53438.msg89041#msg89041

Cheers

jjcabgou:
Going slightly off topic with my response but, in the Philippines there are ways around just about everything.  Case in point, I know and  know of many Korean and Chinese "foreigners" that own houses and businesses.   How the hell they do it, I have no idea, but I do know it is being done, and it is done frequently. 

Peter:

--- Quote from: jjcabgou on December 22, 2018, 10:19:00 AM ---Going slightly off topic with my response but, in the Philippines there are ways around just about everything.  Case in point, I know and  know of many Korean and Chinese "foreigners" that own houses and businesses.   How the hell they do it, I have no idea, but I do know it is being done, and it is done frequently.

--- End quote ---

You're spot on in your observation. Many aliens appear to "own" land in their own name.

How it is done is open to interpretation, but, and this is a very big BUT, the Constitution of the Philippines prohibits any alien from owning land, unless they have continuously owned it since (I believe) 1936, or sometime thereabouts. Not many of those folks are still alive and kicking.

When the alien "owner" is otherwise perfectly legal and courteous in his dealings with those Filipinos who know his situation, everything is tickety-boo.
If he ever upsets a Filipino, or even another alien suffering from crab mentality, then all bets are off, and they may find themselves in hot water with the authorities.
Not to mention the problems that would occur when Immigration start to get involved. "Up sh*t creek without a paddle" comes to mind.  :) :) :)

Peter

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version