Living in The Philippines > Getting here and back and getting items here and back

Return Ticket Requirement to be Enforced

<< < (11/12) > >>

Peter:

--- Quote from: DArtagnan on March 30, 2019, 06:54:02 PM ---On the contrary David.

On our return to Davao from Singers last November the two people directly in front of us at the immigration desk were asked for onward tickets as was I

I had mine and was waived through - the others were taken to some back office !

--- End quote ---

I would surmise that could have been the result of profiling, or even prior knowledge of something amiss on the flight, by the BI and they were being cautious.
On the other hand, maybe the BI bigshots were around, so the front line staff had to be seen to be doing their jobs  :)

Peter

David690:

--- Quote from: DArtagnan on March 30, 2019, 06:54:02 PM ---On the contrary David.

On our return to Davao from Singers last November the two people directly in front of us at the immigration desk were asked for onward tickets as was I

I had mine and was waived through - the others were taken to some back office !

--- End quote ---

I must have had entered Philippines at least a dozen times on visit visas and never once been asked by immigration at either Manila, Davao or Cebu.  I was always asked when checking in for the flight.

bigrod:
Well it is a BI rule requiring an onward ticket, is it not?  Whether you have been here one time or hundred times nothing precludes BI from asking to see the onward ticket.  I have seen it mentioned having BI personnel asking for the onward ticket more in the last six months on different FB groups I belong to than I have in the last 10 years.  Plus  people being questioned for making the 3 year tourist visa runs.  Maybe times/policies are changing.  JMHO

Chuck

David690:

--- Quote from: bigrod on March 31, 2019, 05:09:52 PM ---Well it is a BI rule requiring an onward ticket, is it not?  Whether you have been here one time or hundred times nothing precludes BI from asking to see the onward ticket.  I have seen it mentioned having BI personnel asking for the onward ticket more in the last six months on different FB groups I belong to than I have in the last 10 years.  Plus  people being questioned for making the 3 year tourist visa runs.  Maybe times/policies are changing.  JMHO

Chuck

--- End quote ---

Yes it is a requirement to have an onward or return ticket, nobody is disputing that.  I believe that the airlines are required to check passengers at check in to avoid lengthy checks at Philippines immigration and to avoid the hassle of having to repatriate persons arriving without the ticket.  Airlines manifest and other information is available to Philippines Immigration before the flight arrives, so they will know in advance the passenger details.  I guess sometimes things go wrong and for whatever reason that info isn't available, but the onus is on the airline to check this and avoid difficulties on arrival.  No doubt there are spot checks, but all I can say is that I have never been asked to show an onward or return ticket when arriving at Philippines immigration.

bigrod:

--- Quote from: David690 on March 31, 2019, 08:50:48 PM ---Yes it is a requirement to have an onward or return ticket, nobody is disputing that.  I believe that the airlines are required to check passengers at check in to avoid lengthy checks at Philippines immigration and to avoid the hassle of having to repatriate persons arriving without the ticket.  Airlines manifest and other information is available to Philippines Immigration before the flight arrives, so they will know in advance the passenger details.  I guess sometimes things go wrong and for whatever reason that info isn't available, but the onus is on the airline to check this and avoid difficulties on arrival.  No doubt there are spot checks, but all I can say is that I have never been asked to show an onward or return ticket when arriving at Philippines immigration.

--- End quote ---

The airline checking has nothing to do with lengthy checks at Philippine Immigration.  It is due to the hefty fine the airline would receive for the individual not having the ticket.

Chuck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version