Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats
Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Gloria\'s Naturalization Ceremony  (Read 6440 times)

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
Gloria\'s Naturalization Ceremony
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:23:21 AM »
On Friday August 29th, my darling Gloria was sworn in as a US Citizen along with 566 others from 91 different countries, the largest ceremony in the history of the Commonwealth of Kentucky.  Here are a few photos:

These seats would soon hold 567 candidates

Taking her seat alongside her fellow Filipinos

Taking the oath

Yehey!  We did it!

Her Naturalization certificate

The oath:

\"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.\"

To say I\'m proud of her is a large understatement.  Her parents were thrilled when she called them to let them know.  I highly recommend this path to all who reside in the US. 

Our next ceremony will be her Reacquisition of Philippine Citizenship.  That will require us to visit the consulate for our district which is Washington, DC.  We may have to take a week\'s vacation to get that done.   ;)  ;D  More pics will follow, if we can arrange that trip.   :D
Louisville, KY USA - Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, PH

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
Re: Gloria\'s Naturalization Ceremony
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:37:02 AM »
Good going Jack.!    ;D :) ;D  Congratulations Gloria!!!!!!   ;D  8) ;D  I know you are both so happy.   ;D  And well deserved.   ;D  An important moment in both of your lives that will never occur again.  A once in a lifetime happening.  I\'m happy for the two of you.   ;D

Where did they hold that oath taking?  It looks like a hotel ballroom or a convention center.  When my lovely asawa took her oath a few years ago it was held in the local Federal Building.  Bummer.  No cameras allowed.   >:( :( :P >:(

Ako si Goyo.   Amerikano akong lawas pero Bisaya akong kasing-kasing

Beatle

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 11:56:26 AM »

Congratulations to you both!  Salve took her oath 12 years ago, it was in Duluth, Minnesota a real beautiful place in the fall ( or anytime ). I have a question thou, with all the renouncing of your past affiliations, how can it be so easy to get a dual citizenship?

Ray

Offline jryals

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 08:55:33 PM »
Congratulations to you. And to see the smile is all that is needed to say. And from the Ryals family to you Gloria and yours let us say how happy we are for your hard work and may it be all that you could ever wish for.
Life can be full of happiness if YOU let it in

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 03:39:54 AM »
Good going Jack.!    ;D :) ;D  Congratulations Gloria!!!!!!   ;D  8) ;D  I know you are both so happy.   ;D  And well deserved.   ;D  An important moment in both of your lives that will never occur again.  A once in a lifetime happening.  I\'m happy for the two of you.   ;D

Where did they hold that oath taking?  It looks like a hotel ballroom or a convention center.  When my lovely asawa took her oath a few years ago it was held in the local Federal Building.  Bummer.  No cameras allowed.   >:( :( :P >:(

The ceremony was held in the International Convention Center.  With 567 candidates as well as family and friends, there was easily 3,000 people there.  I\'m glad they held it there.  There are no cameras allowed in the Federal Courthouse, even for something so intensely important and personal as a Naturalization ceremony.  I was glad so that I could share the event with all of you, my friends.

Offline Gray Wolf

• Sr Member +
  • Sr Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 03:44:57 AM »

Congratulations to you both!  Salve took her oath 12 years ago, it was in Duluth, Minnesota a real beautiful place in the fall ( or anytime ). I have a question thou, with all the renouncing of your past affiliations, how can it be so easy to get a dual citizenship?

Ray

Ray,

It\'s a very special relationship the US has with certain specific countries.  You can read all about RA 9225 here:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,76.msg240.html#msg240

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 02:07:10 AM »
    After reviewing the references above that Jack kindly provided, this is what seems to me to pertain to my family\'s situation. Please let me know if you all think I\'m off base on this. My wife (filipina) and my adopted filipino son (oldest) are naturalized US citizens. Therefore, they would have to apply to reacquire their Philippine citizenship. My daughter and youngest son were born before my wife acquired her US citizenship. They would be considered to already have dual citizenship by the Philippine embassy and would only need to apply for Philippine passports. If it matters, my kids are all adults. Have I interpreted the rules correctly?

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 08:21:57 AM »
Jack and my Sister Glo:
Words cannot serve adequately the pride I feel for the both of you on the great pride you both must feel about Gloria receiving her USA Citizenship.

It shows not only the character of your wife, but also the character of her husband in supporting her in her efforts to obtain such. All on this forum know the love I have for you and your wife. Some find it hard to believe how two yanks, one a Native American Indian, and one a Heinz 57 misfit that has full “Mic” or Irish blood could find peace between the two.

The “bind” that ties us will be a mystery to many…but not all…for only in that “promise of brotherhood” among young scared young boys, forced way before their time to pretend to in a way take on the similarities of a fully mature, responsible adult was to act that we found ourselves in.

Brother, some say you can never “go home again”…after experiencing “the horrors of War”…

I am for the time being a living (not by much) example of how we sometimes take both prose and pen to mean only one thing to the writer, another to the public, and yet another in reality.

I have found “home”, I have seen and felt “unconditional love” in the many forums of a  both Filipino Wife and an extended family in the Philippines that I will forever cherish and never forget , dismiss, or abandon

People on this forum only can judge me from what my words were in the past, what my words will be in the future and how I treat my Family in the Philippines.

If this forum allows me, after I return to the RP shortly I shall write monthly from a small but lovely purok in Bayugan, Mindanao .

I will write of the real prices in the wet market of the many commodities. I will write of the real crime, the much of or the lack of. I will post to u-tube videos of my extended families for all to see how the smiles of the Filipinos can wipe away a million tears.

Will I not write about the poverty, the sickness, the corruption, the graft of the local and upper echelon politics… of course I will.

I will write the truth, how one small simple Irishmen who is first and foremost a solider fell in love with both a country, their people and then one of their own, who took me to much better place that I was before, I will tell all, the believers, the non-believers, the ones who live in another country and tell me how I should act in the RP, the ones who live In Manila and tell me how I should live in Mindanao.

I respect the ones who live in Manila, don’t get me wrong…s*** I respect Rufus and I don’t think he has walked one day in my shoes’ respect Colin, whether he thinks me weak because I have a need to feel that there is someone who is both smarter and stronger than me, s***, I respect Wayne, the well know computer expert on this forum, even though he hides behind his computer screen to me by blocking access to him by PM for he has personally blocked me from his email. We just disagreed but I am never so small that I would block him from contacting me and ripping me a “new one” in a PM.

But that is the world we live in, people’s ego’s are so easily to be shattered at any given time we all tend on here to speak LNP Political Speak in lock step so we don’t offend anyone.

The world I live in is so unlike this place that I put pen to paper. It is real, it lives and breathes, it lives and dies, it smiles and cries, it is truth, and it is lies?

Thus Brother God Bless YOU, God Bless Gloria, God Bless the USA, God Bless John and Sarah… and Rufus…if you don’t like that…God Bless You TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Semper Fe

PS: Keith did I forget to mention I Respect you!...s*** after this that may be a bad thing….but what is a bad thing between brothers.

Murf.

Offline RUFUS

• Administrator
  • Sr Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 09:20:56 AM »
Murf,
My feet aren\'t big enough to walk in your shoes nor would I try, although I\'m not sure if that was meant as a compliment or criticism?
Regardless, either way, nice post...
SO SAYETH THE RUFUS

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 10:45:34 AM »
Randy wrote;
My daughter and youngest son were born before my wife acquired her US citizenship.   

Randy, first of all, where were they born?  US or RP?  If born in RP they should be naturalized in the US and would also need to apply for reacquisition.  If they were born in the US, as I suspect, were their births recorded with the RP Embassy or Consulate serving your area?  If so, then yes.  However, if not, since they are already adults this may not be done retroactively.  Contact the Embassy or the Consulate serving your area for any possible solutions.  Please report back here what you find out so others can learn.

Embassy and Consulates in the US with coverage areas;

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/Consulates.htm

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 01:04:53 PM »
Murf,

I don\'t consider you, or anyone else, weak because you believe in God.  We all have different upbringing and life experiences and see thing differently, thank heavens (oops)  ;D

Colin

Offline geno555

• Sr Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 10:46:13 PM »
Rufus,
Compliment of course my friend...I was just spouting off my mouth as usual...probably too much Vodka ;D ;D

Colin I understand you my old friend, no pun or insult intended. ;D ;D

But I think the rest of my post was correct...or as much of it as i remember. ??? ???

Murf

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 01:54:06 AM »
Greg,
   My daughter, 24, was born in the Philippines. We registered her birth at the local city hall annex and also at the US emabassy. So she has both a Philippine birth certificate and a US certificate for the birth of a US citizen abroad. My youngest, 18, was born in Korea and all we have is the US certificate fof birth of citizen abroad from the US embassy in Seoul. I am taking your advice and will try to email the consulate in LA and will definitely post the info to I receive to the forum.

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 12:42:31 AM »
PHilippine embassy in LA response was as follows:
    Even though the two children are adults and US citizens (and US passport holders), since their mother was a Philippine citizen when they were born and they are US citizens through me and not by naturalization, the Philippine government considers them both dual citizens. The only difference is my daughters birth was registered with the Philippine government so she just has to apply for the passport. My son\'s birth first has to be registered as a birth of Philippine citizen with the appropriate consulate and then he can get the the passport. The catch is that since he was born in Seoul, his birth has to be registered with the Philippine consulate in Seoul, not in LA.

Offline GregW

• Sr Member
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 11:02:10 AM »
Randy wrote;
The catch is that since he was born in Seoul, his birth has to be registered with the Philippine consulate in Seoul, not in LA. 

That\'s pretty good news.   Now the next balikbayan trip you make to RP fly either Korean Air Lines or Asiana and layover a day or two in Seoul to record the birth.  On to RP afterwards.  Sounds workable to me.   :)

By the way, don\'t know whether you fly into Manila or Cebu but both of those airlines fly into both RP cities.    8)