Technical Stuff > Cellphones, communication in general

NEVER buy these iPhones... OR ELSE YOU WILL PAY !!

(1/1)

dylanaz:
I was shopping around for a new iPhone.... I didn\'t realize I need to upgrade to the new 3g unit until I had to check my email on the non 3g (EDGE) connection... believe me ... 2megs takes a lOOONG time when youre trying to check your email in a hurry,...

so.. anyhow... I go to GREENHILLS to get a 3g (aka HSDPA) iPhone and trade in my old one.... (by the way... don\'t be shocked when they say \"Sir, can I see your unit?\"... They just need to inspect your trade-in)

Anyhow.. here\'s the snippet from Apples website that raised red flags !

Do you see any red flags here?

Well... look at the part I circled in red...

That\'s the problem !!! But only in the Philippines...

Here\'s why...

After looking for a trade for awhile I was approached by a seller who said he has what Im looking for and its also the GSM as well.. so I replied

\"Every iPhone here is GSM, thats fine with me!\"

Refer to the above photo from Apple.com again.... it says its GSM/EDGE and a bunch of numbers... thats exactly what I needed...

Well... I examined the 16gig top of the line iPhone and wonderd why ALL the 100+ contacts were still there and all the numbers were from USA including USCIS, Embassy etc... If someone traded it in from USA im sure he would have erased his contacts... only takes a minute....

Well the seller changed his mind saying \"ITS GSM, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?\"

I was sooo freaking puzzled by that comment... so I asked around....

GSM !!!! hahahah wow....

Ya.. its a protocall the iPhone supports... but it also means STOLEN !!!

Hahaha... All that time I had been literally saying \"ya, its stolen - I dont care - everyone iPhone here is Stolen!\"

GSM - Galing Sa Magdanakao

Translates to : Acquired by robbery or something... WOW !!!

DONT LOOK FOR A GSM CELL PHONE!!! Even though in other countries you have a choice between GSM or CMDA... its just ... different meaning I discovered ! hahah OUCH , WOW

dyenne:
Hahahaha....that was funny.

Actually GSM means GALING SA MAGNANAKAW..(It came from a Robber...exact meaning)

Anyway...just a piece of advise. If you\'re not that observant on checking out some units. I prefer not to trade cellphones in Greenhills or any place here in the Philippines. Cellphone experience recently is quite scarry because most of the units now adays EXPLODES even if they told you that it\'s brand new. Most of the cellphone being sold in unreliable sources are RECON as they say...short for RECONDITIONED. Unless you buy it from a reliable source like the NOKIA store in SM or other well known Malls. Since then, I promise myself not to buy 2nd hand unit, cheap cellphone or new one from small stores. And if you have some private pictures or vids in your cellphone, I would suggest that you delete it immediately or try to watch the technician as he repair your fone. Some silly technicians save those private vids on their PC and uploaded these vids online and name them Philippine scandal. Foolish people....aigh??.

Anyway.....always be careful :)

dylanaz:

--- Quote from: dyenne on March 27, 2009, 04:42:03 AM ---I prefer not to trade cellphones in Greenhills or any place here in the Philippines. Cellphone experience recently is quite scarry because most of the units now adays EXPLODES even if they told you that it\'s brand new.
--- End quote ---

I just hope the \"unit\"  ;D I find one day does not explode. The only problem is that I need a very special unit. The only place that is officially authorized to sell iPhones in Philippines is GLOBE - and I dont have a GLOBE sim... so if you buy an iPhone it has to be unlocked or openline...

Well.. Apple.com (the makers of iPhone) is getting smart and on every update to iTunes your openline iPhone becomes LOCK again and you have to openline again... Even as I openline myself its just a big pain because sometimes it takes weeks before you can find infos/software on how to openline with the new update.

Well.. there is an answer.

Due to Hong Kong laws.. every iPhone sold in the Apple stores in Hong Kong is already openline by Apple.com and will never lock ! So I have to find this special Hong Kong unit. ( infos here http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php/topic,1886.0.html )

UNIT  ;D

I laugh everytime I think of the vendors asking \"Sir can I see your unit\"  :P

Anyhow...

I saw one guy trying to sell his iPhone original to a vendor. Thy offered him p2k TWO THOUSAND PESO ONLY ! After he complained they changed the price to less at only 1.5k
After that I understood what GSM was  8)

I will go back after Apple.com release their new 3.0 update soon - That way I can try the 3.0 update... if it works - I know its a real Hong Kong version because I hav not found any other way to tell if its HK version or not - and this time I will ask for one with a box... so it cant be GSM  :D

dyenne:

--- Quote from: dylanaz on March 27, 2009, 07:03:53 PM ---I will go back after Apple.com release their new 3.0 update soon - That way I can try the 3.0 update... if it works - I know its a real Hong Kong version because I hav not found any other way to tell if its HK version or not - and this time I will ask for one with a box... so it cant be GSM  :D

--- End quote ---

Actually those guys are trying to earn big money from the guy selling his iphone. They are trying to outsmart him maybe because he\'s a foreigner (was he dylanaz?) and bid the cell for a lower price. In GSM transaction it\'s not the same, the ROBBER (from the M letter \"MAGNANAKAW\") will give his price to these vendors, they will negotiate until they agree with the buying price. Now for the vendor to get their money back, they will resell the iphone/cellphone in a higher rate, depends on how much they bought it. If you will canvass around greenhills, you will see that most of their prices are alike. They may only differ a few hundreds but their price range are still close.

Ohhhh by the way..back to your quoted message. Even if you ask for the box of the phone....the unit will still be the same (RECONDITIONED, GSM or SECOND HAND)you will not get a reliable unit. Know why? The vendors will just buy boxes of cellphone unit somewhere in Manila and pack the cellphone with different accessories claiming the unit is brand new even if it was already 2 yrs old from original owner. If you want to make sure unit is really brand new. Buy from reliable resources, you can open the unit and see if it\'s dirty inside or whatever. Actually that is the reason why vendors ask you \"Can is see your unit sir\". Checking your unit will allow them to see if your unit is 2nd hand, 1st owned, and if you will extend on letting them open your unit further, they will see if it was previously repaired or not. That\'s how wise vendors in greenhills are. They try to make sure that they will not loose their money for a deffective unit or low performing one.

dylanaz:

--- Quote from: dyenne on March 30, 2009, 01:28:48 AM ---Actually those guys are trying to earn big money from the guy selling his iphone. They are trying to outsmart him maybe because he\'s a foreigner (was he dylanaz?) and bid the cell for a lower price.

--- End quote ---

The seller was Filipino approx 23 years old and about 5\'6\" tall and near 70 kilos. His hair was semi ruffled but appeared to have been cut not more than a month ago. He seemed desperate for money but in his negotiations to get more than P2k for the sale the vendor reduced the price of the mobile that sells for over P15k to a mere One point Five thousand (1st gen iPhone original).

--- Quote --- Even if you ask for the box of the phone....the unit will still be the same (RECONDITIONED, GSM or SECOND HAND)you will not get a reliable unit.
--- End quote ---

There is a group in USA... these people tend to prefer 2nd hand items... They shop for clothing at ukay-ukay stores in the USA and every weekend drive around looking for people selling their old goods in front of their houses (garage sales). They also visit places like greenhills in USA called \"flea markets\" or \"Swap meets\".

I am one of these people. I find it very rewarding to hear someone say they spent P40k on the clothes they are wearing - and then when they ask if my clothing was about the same I can reply. \"I spent about P1k only\"

Dont get me wrong... most appear to be brand new - even vintage 1960\'s / 1970\'s era clothing and there are millionaires in the usa who are a part of this group who shop for 2nd hand items.

These would be the same people who lov a brand new car, but wait 1-3 years to buy it because of the very big savings!

BUT... there are SOME things I actually waited in line to buy when they were brand new ! Like... well... I cant remember now.. but im sure there was something   ;D

--- Quote --- The vendors will just buy boxes of cellphone unit somewhere in Manila and pack the cellphone with different accessories claiming the unit is brand new even if it was already 2 yrs old from original owner.
--- End quote ---

Ahhh yes.. this happend to me once... with a china-phone I purchased.. when I got home.. it already had someones photos inside it - hahah... well.. lucky with the iPhone original they have a serial number in 3 places... and if they all match - maybe its not a GSM unit... those 3 places are 1. Box / 2. Back of the unit / 3. in the iPhones memory

But in this case I would LOVE to have a brand new unit... but my unit must be from Hong Kong because thats the closest place to find an 100% factory openline that was actually openlined by apple.com and will accept all updates and never re-lock.

Heres a quote from Apple.com Hong Kong only page:
--- Quote ---iPhone 3G purchased at the Apple Online Store can be activated with any wireless carrier. Simply insert the SIM from your current phone into iPhone 3G and connect to iTunes 8 to complete activation.
--- End quote ---

When you buy iPhone original in Philippines it is locked to globe.. if you buy in the USA its locked to AT&T.. and if you openline - it will automatically lock itself again the next time you update. The Hong Kong version ORIGINAL Apple iPhone works with ANY SIM !

Then hackers make a new unlock program and then all the technicians here get it and charge P1500 to openline your iPhone again with a free software that works automatically and take 5 minutes only. I get the software myself but Just remember the hackers/programmers can take weeks to make the openline program so until then you are stuck with a locked mobile... for weeks.

The Hong Kong version can be used with SUN, GLOBE, RED, SMART and every other sim and will never lock ! Thats why I need that one...
I dont get comission for selling them but I do think the iPhone is the best mobile EVER created....

I even have a full KTV in my iPhone (Mp3 quality songs with live bands also - not midi-oke  ;) ) ! and a cable that plugs it to a stereo/TV so the party goes wherever I go ! Other great things it has are

* It Automatically sends a TXT to our yaya when we are nearby - so she can prepare and open the gate

* Has GPS so if we get lost push ONE button and a map shows wheer we currently are

* Supports VOIP so we can make free calls at any WIFI connection and save our SIM card load

* Has a built in TV application! That you can watch from any WIFI also

* There are Thousands of games (equal to nintendo DS games!), applications, PDA\'s, LANGUAGE TRANSLATORS and more for iPhone DOWNLOADABLE instanly from Philippines

* Its not just a mobile... its a little batang computer - It can remote control my home computers (Windows+Mac remote desktop) 100% 24-7 monitoring - sosyal !

Dont get me wrong... its just a tool I use... just like my favorite screwdriver.. evidence of this was seen in a vendors response to examining my \"unit\"  ;D ... When she looked at it she said \"GRABE KA NAMAN\" which roughly translated at that time to - \"wow this unit looks like its been through hell and back\" ... its a tool... and keys, meet iPhone.. iPhone & keys meet pocket... a few months of that = scratch, scratch and more scratches... but I keep screen protective film on... so thats all that matters.. I dont care about a few million scuff marks on the casing ... Its all about whats under the hood  :P[/list]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version