Technical Stuff > Cellphones, communication in general

Take my old Cell or get new there?

(1/3) > >>

Robin:
Ok folks help me here; I have been reading the posts in this section but Iím not sure I know the best way to proceed.

We will be arriving in Manila and stay for two to three days, then 15 days in Iloilo.

Iím not real sure I need a cell phone but it may come in handy so hereís what Iím wonderingÖ

We have not had cell service here in the USA for most of 2009 (just didnít need it, we use Skye and Magic Jack) but I still have two cell phones (not active). One is Verizon, LG VX5300 and the other a Verizon GzOne. Just wondering, is it a benefit to take these phones and have them loaded with a new SIM and prepaid or just get a temporary phone there?

Iím trying to figure how much I might even use one there.

Thanks in advance for your help and support..

Robin

aerosick:
Robin,

My vote is to take both phones and get them unlocked there if this is needed. You\'ll be lost there without cell phones, even if you are only staying in contact with each other.

Billy

Lee2:

--- Quote from: Robin on December 31, 2009, 10:13:09 PM ---Ok folks help me here; I have been reading the posts in this section but Iím not sure I know the best way to proceed.

We will be arriving in Manila and stay for two to three days, then 15 days in Iloilo.

Iím not real sure I need a cell phone but it may come in handy so hereís what Iím wonderingÖ

We have not had cell service here in the USA for most of 2009 (just didnít need it, we use Skye and Magic Jack) but I still have two cell phones (not active). One is Verizon, LG VX5300 and the other a Verizon GzOne. Just wondering, is it a benefit to take these phones and have them loaded with a new SIM and prepaid or just get a temporary phone there?

Iím trying to figure how much I might even use one there.

Thanks in advance for your help and support..

Robin

--- End quote ---

Hi Robin. Both phones you listed will not be compatible with the Philippines. Verizon does not use sim card phones, so unless they are something special that I am not aware of, they will not work. Open the phones and look under the battery and see if there is a place to put a sim card, I am 99% sure that there will not be. My advice would be to buy a cheap one in the Philippines if you will not have a friend or relative with you at all times who has a phone with them. I believe that cell phones are a necessary evil and especially in the Philippines where you might find yourself in need of help and not be able to get any. Just my opinion and my wife and I always carry phones in case we were to become separated and it has always come in handy.

Below is a copy and paste that I made from another post I made a while back and it will explain what phones will work.

Cell phones that will work in the Philippines.

The Philippines uses 900 and 1800 mhz, so any unlocked sim card type phone that includes both of those frequencies will work the best and phones that have at least 900mhz will also work but not as good.

There are many types of phones on the market and since I am in the USA and live part of the year in Cebu and other parts of the Philippines, I use phones I get in the USA and unlock them. Usually if a person has a contract with a provider, they will usually provide the unlock code for your phone once you are into the contract for a few months. I have done this with one provider in the USA and they have given me an unlock code every three months for different phones that I have bought from them or online. Here is a break down of what will work. All phones must be open line (unlocked to allow any provider).
Dual band phones in US come both 900 and 1900 mhz or 850 and 1900. The 900 and 1900 will work because they include 900 which was the first frequency they used in the Philippines and they have since upgraded to also use 1800.
Tri band 900/1800/1900 or quad band 850/900/1800/1900 phones work the best because they will work in most countries and also work great in the Philippines because they includes both 900 and 1800. It should be noted that in the USA they also make triband phones that use 850/1800 and 1900 and those will not work very well, if at all in the Philippines because 850 is not used there.

A word of caution when buying a used phone, some phones like Tracphones and possibly other prepaid services may not work even if they use sim cards and are on the correct frequencies and I do not know why. I put a trac sim in an open line quad band phone I have, and it would not work, so the sim must have something else programmed into it so that it will work with their provider and their phone only.

Robin:
Well RATS, RATS, RATS... Looks like your right Mr. Lee; I open them both and I don\'t see any SIM card. I also don\'t see the mhz ratings... Guess I\'ll be looking for some cheap phones there.

In that respect, would I do better to get phones in Manila at one of the big malls or in Iloilo or does it really matter?

Thanks for the help, man am I glad you guys are here...

Steve & Myrlita:

--- Quote from: Robin on January 01, 2010, 01:21:13 AM ---Well RATS, RATS, RATS... Looks like your right Mr. Lee; I open them both and I don\'t see any SIM card. I also don\'t see the mhz ratings... Guess I\'ll be looking for some cheap phones there.

In that respect, would I do better to get phones in Manila at one of the big malls or in Iloilo or does it really matter?

Thanks for the help, man am I glad you guys are here...

--- End quote ---
Sorry Robin but yes Verizon uses a format called CDMA. Japan uses this format. Everyone else uses GSM. And then US & Canada use 850 & 1900 and the rest use 900 & 1800. My dual band from the US became a paper weight. I got myself a nice Nokia 3110c. God Bless.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version