Philippines Insider" The Ultimate Philippines Travel Guide for Tourists and Expats

Author Topic: Motorcycle and sidecar.  (Read 32562 times)

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
Re: Motorcycle and sidecar.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 09:08:18 PM »
Well Wayne I guess you may like the old Pommie Stimson Scorcher, as I recall they had the front end of an Austin Morris B/L Mini but I\'ve not seen one for many years.
Could probably do it with a K11 Nissan Micra/March or any other small hatch back.

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 06:18:55 AM »
One of the problems with using a small car for a donor front end is most of them are frontwheel drive, I suppose it should not be a problem once engine and transmission are removed, but the added beef added to the front end would make it ungainly to steer, requiring power steering, which the can-am bikes have.

How would we handle reverse gear for parking?

E.J. Is this something you could build in your shop of the future?

I am thinking front wheels 3 feet apart approx, same width as a tricycle already there in RP. Disks on both front wheels of course and drum on the rear. Automotive 13\" rims and tires on the front would be great and similar on the rear, but maybe a 14 on the rear or even a 15?

I am an amputee and riding a regular bike is a pain in the ass... :-[

My left leg is the one missing, courtesy of a drunk bus driver whilst riding a 550 kawa pocket rocket. 30+ yrs ago. SO changing gears is a pain in the butt, hence the auto scooter for me in the RP. But some family member decided to rearrange the front end for me whilst I was overseas so its a good donor hack.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »
Is in imperitive to have rear wheel drive? If you use the whole front assembly of a car you can utilise the power steering, and of course being a car it has a reverse gear and you could even go auto! The Simson Scorcher (pretty much a Mini Moke with only one rear wheel) utilised the whole front Mini subframe assembly: Engine, gearbox, radiator, driveshafts, suspension, hubs and brakes, all the parts stayed attached to the subframe and you just lifted the body off the subframe assembly. All you needed to do make it functional on a space frame or other chassis was attach the steering rack to the subframe, as it is the only part of the steering assembly mounted on the body, just to the rear of the subframe. With a couple of brackets welded/bolted on the subframe it was a self contained drivable power unit.

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 02:44:23 PM »
What I am aiming for is something that looks like a bike, not a car. It has to be driven from a single rear wheel, steered with handle bars, throttle on the bars etc. Thinking of a toothed belt for final drive aka Harley arrangement. There are many tadpole or reverse trike designs on the web, many look like cars minus one wheel, not what I am after.

Looking for a 2 up cruiser, bike engine, high revving and spirited. Economical to drive, stands out in the crowd, yet stable, throw some custom glass fairing on it and voilą, a reverse trike, custom built.

Many of the new bikes have tilting front wheels again not my interest, I would put car tires front and back, much more stable and better to put power to asphalt, or dirt and  pot holes if we are talking about Philippines.

Idea is to have the engine mounted under the seating position, these things need to be light, its not a VW powered trike running backwards, I am not looking for fat trike tires on the rear. Think bike not car.... Nimble and aggressive, able to out sprint NPA hiding in the trees in Quezon Province. A nice 160 kph sprint up NLEX...

Although some things to consider...

http://www.clevislauzon.qc.ca/Professeurs/Mecanique/ethierp/3-wheels/class3.htm

Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline coutts00

• Sr Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »
After reading all of the things this guy has to say about 3 wheel stability, I might revise my ideas. Move the motor forward between or in front of the front wheels and have the front wheels be the driven wheels and the steering wheels as well. Got to get the centre of gravity right here, to far forward and the back wheel does nothing, too far back and it become unstable during hard braking. Some of his graphics images are very convincing.
Wayne  ;D ;D

Offline BC Boy

• Sr Member
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 04:29:28 PM »
After reading all of the things this guy has to say about 3 wheel stability, I might revise my ideas. Move the motor forward between or in front of the front wheels and have the front wheels be the driven wheels and the steering wheels as well. Got to get the centre of gravity right here, to far forward and the back wheel does nothing, too far back and it become unstable during hard braking. Some of his graphics images are very convincing.

i think you may be onto something here Wayne...

Maybe you can exspand on this idea, its a little ruff but nothing a wheel out back and a spoiler cant fix!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I__4wuGLTAM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I__4wuGLTAM</a>

Seriously, i am intreged by a project like this. I dont want to blow money on a car or big bike now since my job and small ventures are um...still loosing me money. But i bet i could pick up a little front wheel drive car that has had bus rear end it for next to nothing. Buy it for 5000php have a local welder help my out....profit!

Put a role cage in it and have the ultimate trike/convertable/buggy for under 20 000php. I cant buy a scooter for that!

win win win!

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »
I think that guy in the Youtube must have watched \'View to a Kill\', I think Roger Moore drove the front of a Renault 19 or something in France.

How about the Honda Road Fox, cool little trike!

Getting the weight distribution and steering geometry etc. correct is pretty hard going but not impossible, a MX or Enduro Chair would be a good deal. A responsive big thumper with a lightweight chair attached, as far as I know Sidecarcross is unknown in Pi and an MX hack would be a novelty. Another plus is you have a pillion seat and the sidecar can be designed to carry anything you like.

http://www.hobotraveler.com/208-asia/207-143-motorcycle-sidecar-philippines.jpg

http://www.dmcsidecars.com/Sidecars/dualsportsidecars.htm

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 07:13:45 AM »
The Oldsmobile Toronado was probably the first one.

Thats more than 2 times I have seen posters wanting to hack up a classic.... A tornado is priceless ! Dont hack the tornado !

SAVE THE TORNADO !

I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »
The Oldsmobile Toronado was probably the first one.

Thats more than 2 times I have seen posters wanting to hack up a classic.... A tornado is priceless ! Dont hack the tornado !

SAVE THE TORNADO !

Fret not, the talk of chopping up porsches and big american iron is pure fantasy

With 20 year mitsubishis costing 60,000 and up, using a 250,000+++++ vehicle as a donor is over the edge insanity

Hell! I\'m having trouble locating a mazda rotary engine and box for reasonable Ps

c_a_p_t_a_i_n_r_o_n

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 07:41:24 PM »
Just how much does that detroit iron & tranny sell for? can you justify the expense to your wife? yourself?

Our Kia Sportage at P200,000, at the time seemed over-priced even in RP, seems not to bad now   

but there ARE bargains available

I have my eye on a \'66 Ford F-100, body is pretty ropey but that I can fix....owner has come down from P180k to 150......I suspect I\'ll bite at around 120

Missed out on a Tamaraw when I noticed his price drop from P30k to 25k
Would have converted it into pickup

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 10:09:49 PM »
Missed out on a Tamaraw when I noticed his price drop from P30k to 25k

Ya - 25k for an FX !

I think I just spent 25k at lunch today alone !  I would buy that in a heartbeat....

Hmmm.. or was it 25 peso I spent on lunch?? jk

But ya - 25k sounds like it was a super deal ! Parts EVERYWHERE for those...
I have seen so much conflict while in the Philippines - amazingly 99% of it was merely online computer experiences :D

Offline chuwachi

• Sr Member
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 09:08:38 AM »
I was at a Honda bike dealer in Perth the other day and they\'re also agents for the Can-Am spyder, had a good poke around and the salesman told me some interesting facts too. Traction control, electric power steering, anti this, assisted that...

Offline dylanaz

• Sr Member
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 02:09:42 PM »
If it weren\'t for the voracious interbred dog-flea-mosquitoes I could while away days just wandering around the place.  8)

Solution..

Monday - 1 FULL coat of Baygon (cover every equare meter and wall with garden sprayer NON-DILUTED)

Tuesday - Smoke em out with Mosquito coils

Wednesday - PROFIT !

WOW ! I would have a field day in there too !