Getting Prepared For The Philippines > Laws, Regulations, Taxes as Applied to Foreigners

Child Abuse

(1/1)

Brad3864:
A foreigner here went to a local hotel for a function. While there, he noticed a child with their feet on a table. He went over, \"tapped\" the child on the leg with his cane and said get your dirty feet off the table. Now the mother has filed a child abuse case against him. This man thinks that since his landlord is a congressman and if he takes 10 of the local kids with him to court to testify how much they love him, all will be OK. I Googled this and read the consequences, if convicted are severe, especially for a foreigner.
Brad

Lee2:

--- Quote from: Brad3864 on May 03, 2009, 11:30:55 AM ---A foreigner here went to a local hotel for a function. While there, he noticed a child with their feet on a table. He went over, \"tapped\" the child on the leg with his cane and said get your dirty feet off the table. Now the mother has filed a child abuse case against him. This man thinks that since his landlord is a congressman and if he takes 10 of the local kids with him to court to testify how much they love him, all will be OK. I Googled this and read the consequences, if convicted are severe, especially for a foreigner.
Brad

--- End quote ---

IMO, it is always foolish for a foreigner to touch a local when uncalled for. If he were in some country with little rights for foreigners, would he think of doing so? I think not unless he wanted to end up hanged or with his head cut off, so why would he feel that it is OK to tap a child with his cane while in a host country like the Philippines. I think getting sued is the least of his worries, many families here take care of their own business and if they lose the lawsuit, maybe it would be time for him to move to another island or out of the country.

BTW, if I had children and someone felt the need to touch them with a cane, I might stick his cane where the sun does not shine and I am an American.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version