Living in The Philippines > Getting here and back and getting items here and back

Medical Innoculations for Visiting?

(1/4) > >>

turquoiseblade:
Are there any recommended medical innoculations for visiting Manila and Baguio?

I did a web search and searched this site, but didn\'t find any, so I would like to ask, just to make sure i have not missed something.

I do not want to go through the Philipene version of Montezuma\'s revenge : )

Thanks,

Law

michael16136:
There\'s no inoculation that will protect you from Montezuma\'s revenge. For that, you need ciproflaxin in 500 mg. tablets and if you do get it, take two a day for five days. It\'s strongly recommended that you get Hepatitis A and B shots before you come over, but aside from that it\'s really up to you. Just make sure your polio, tetanus and other standard vaccinations are up to date and you should not have any problems.

:

--- Quote from: turquoiseblade on June 21, 2008, 06:20:28 AM ---

Thanks,

Law

--- End quote ---

It is important to be careful with the drinking water. The mains supply is OK in some places but you won\'t know that. Also remember that people here have an immunity to local bacteria that you you may not have. I have always believed that if the locals drink it then it is probably OK but then I have lived some time. However we still have our drinking water delivered from a water treatment plant.

Colin

:
Law,

You can also find more info on jabs here:

http://livinginthephilippines.com/forum/index.php?topic=1253.0

Manila Cockney:

--- Quote from: Colin on June 21, 2008, 08:30:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: turquoiseblade on June 21, 2008, 06:20:28 AM ---

Thanks,

Law

--- End quote ---

It is important to be careful with the drinking water. The mains supply is OK in some places but you won\'t know that. Also remember that people here have an immunity to local bacteria that you you may not have. I have always believed that if the locals drink it then it is probably OK but then I have lived some time. However we still have our drinking water delivered from a water treatment plant.

Colin

--- End quote ---

Drink the beer, you will get accustomed to the local drinking water.  There is some truth in this explained to me many years ago on a visit to Pakistan. Beer as long as it has not gone off, IE. flat when you open it is safe to drink. This is because to make it, it is boiled with the hops killing off any bacteria.  In Pakistan which is nearly alcohol free by not drinking the local beer our bodies are not getting accustomed to the local water.

Regarding water never drink from main supply, always buy the 5 gallon bottles which is cheap enough at 40 pesos. Be careful with ice in some places.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version