Getting Prepared For The Philippines > Motorcycles

First Scooter

<< < (2/4) > >>

David690:
It's 50 years since I rode a scooter.  I don't think that I'd fancy anything that wouldn't allow me to pull away from the traffic.  Currently looking at the Ducati Scrambler, it weighs just 180kg, much less than your Harley Davidsons.

FastWalk:

--- Quote from: David690 on January 22, 2019, 07:26:12 PM ---It's 50 years since I rode a scooter.  I don't think that I'd fancy anything that wouldn't allow me to pull away from the traffic.  Currently looking at the Ducati Scrambler, it weighs just 180kg, much less than your Harley Davidsons.

--- End quote ---

That looks interesting,  it for sure based on the specs is going to pull away from traffic.

Peter:

--- Quote from: David690 on January 22, 2019, 07:26:12 PM ---It's 50 years since I rode a scooter.  I don't think that I'd fancy anything that wouldn't allow me to pull away from the traffic.  Currently looking at the Ducati Scrambler, it weighs just 180kg, much less than your Harley Davidsons.

--- End quote ---

David,

My first, brand new (cost me 3 weeks pay in 1966) bike was '66 Ducati 250 M3 Scrambler. Straight through exhaust (would give these tricycle boys here a heart attack if they heard it  :) :) :) ) with 3 rear sprockets to fit, depending on the terrain. Lovely machine. Hours and hours of desert and salt pans fun, as well as 1/4 mile timed drags down the airfield runway! Only drawback was the single seat, but it just meant that my lady friend had to slip a little bit closer when we were out and about. I had to slide onto back of the petrol tank, with the corresponding vibration. LOL!

I rate Ducati as one of the best M/C manufacturers in the world. Can't go wrong with their bikes. Most Italian bike manufacturers have very reliable products, IMHO.

Good luck with your search.

Peter.

JoeLP:
If you're looking for something that can "pull away" from traffic, make damn sure you have a VERY bright light on front.  Even more so if out in the provinces.  I've almost hit 3 pedicab drivers who had ZERO reflectors, dark bikes with the side cars also dark, and would just turn right out into the road without looking into my path as I was barreling down on them.  My USAF friend had to spend 3 days in the hospital for the same thing but he was going even faster when some little kid was playing on his parents pedicab and decided to just whip out into the road in front of him.  He was lucky his wife was behind him in the car and her first call was to the police in their area(they were a municipality away) and he was the first police/rescue member to arrive at the scene and the kid who was peddling the pedicab couldn't escape the scene as he was trying to find a way to get the busted up pedicab home.  So my friend had a local friend in the PNP whose call made the ambulance come quicker and took his side when the local PNP arrived.  Still, his eyes looked like they belonged to a raccoon with all the black around them and all the skin he lost on the road top left signs that can still be seen till today on his thighs.
But be careful anyway, the side of the road here they were on often had high grass growing on it as was the case here so even if his headlight was brighter he might still have missed the kid.

David690:

--- Quote from: Peter on January 23, 2019, 02:10:22 PM ---David,

My first, brand new (cost me 3 weeks pay in 1966) bike was '66 Ducati 250 M3 Scrambler. Straight through exhaust (would give these tricycle boys here a heart attack if they heard it  :) :) :) ) with 3 rear sprockets to fit, depending on the terrain. Lovely machine. Hours and hours of desert and salt pans fun, as well as 1/4 mile timed drags down the airfield runway! Only drawback was the single seat, but it just meant that my lady friend had to slip a little bit closer when we were out and about. I had to slide onto back of the petrol tank, with the corresponding vibration. LOL!

I rate Ducati as one of the best M/C manufacturers in the world. Can't go wrong with their bikes. Most Italian bike manufacturers have very reliable products, IMHO.

Good luck with your search.

Peter.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Peter for the encouragement and the shout out for Ducati.  I've never had an Italian bike.  I've had Brit bikes, Japanese bikes and American, including 3 Harley Davidsons.  I sold my last Harley last year before retiring here, as the cost to import it with taxes, duties etc., was just crazy.
I'm not a speed freak, so when I say pulling away from traffic at the lights, I mean just that, being in front of the pursuing pack rather than being a part of it.  Fastest I've ridden was on a Honda VFR750 at 150mph, but no aspirations to try to top that.  The idea behind the Ducati Scrambler, is that roads here are generally speaking not great so not ideal for super sports bikes, and at the same time there is a lot of scope for some off road riding.
PS don't anyone tell the wife............

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version