Technical Stuff > Internet Connections & TV

Proxy ISP

(1/2) > >>

Brad3864:
Some months ago someone told me a proxy ISP was the way to go. So I bought FindNot. I have only used it a few times and have never figured out how to get it to auto sign on for me. Wayne, you can feel free to tell me I have just wasted some more money. I admit to buying downloads that are suppose to do wonders for my computer, ie: registry fixers. speed boosters, optimizers and the like.
I read with great interest every word you write, I\'m sure many of us are thankful for your time and knowledge.
Brad

coutts00:
I suggest you read this article on Wikipedia then ask questions from there, it is such a diverse subject I could ramble on for hours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server#Risks_of_using_anonymous_proxy_servers

Brad3864:
Just another good example of money I wasted trying to improve my computer.
Brad

coutts00:
Basically when we buy our computers they are running at their peak, if we add ram or a faster processor or a faster disk or faster Internet connection they run faster, every other application we add or piece of hardware or tweak 99.999% of the time makes the machine run slower. What we need is two computers, one for the Internet that is lean mean and no unnecessary apps, no word processors, no graphics programs, it could also be a games machine. Blindingly fast and accessing a remote disk on another machine for file storage. The second machine would be the bloated resource hog, it would have the remote accessed disks, the word processor the printer etc. This would be in an ideal world or you could have two logins like I do on this machine I use here. One of them has the printer software running, the word processor running half the time and all of the bloatware loaded on startup, its my wifes logon, mine is lean mean clean, my start up has nothing in it, noting starts except the sound card when my logon starts up. Its how I like it, if I need an app I run it, when finished I shut it down, go into the task manager and clean out any residual tasks that might not have shut down automatically. Did you know Acrobat normally leaves itself running in the background using 50 megs of memory in case you need to use it again.

:

--- Quote from: coutts00 on July 22, 2008, 10:31:48 AM ---Basically when we buy our computers they are running at their peak, if we add ram or a faster processor or a faster disk or faster Internet connection they run faster, every other application we add or piece of hardware or tweak 99.999% of the time makes the machine run slower. What we need is two computers, one for the Internet that is lean mean and no unnecessary apps, no word processors, no graphics programs, it could also be a games machine. Blindingly fast and accessing a remote disk on another machine for file storage. The second machine would be the bloated resource hog, it would have the remote accessed disks, the word processor the printer etc. This would be in an ideal world or you could have two logins like I do on this machine I use here. One of them has the printer software running, the word processor running half the time and all of the bloatware loaded on startup, its my wifes logon, mine is lean mean clean, my start up has nothing in it, noting starts except the sound card when my logon starts up. Its how I like it, if I need an app I run it, when finished I shut it down, go into the task manager and clean out any residual tasks that might not have shut down automatically. Did you know Acrobat normally leaves itself running in the background using 50 megs of memory in case you need to use it again.

--- End quote ---

At the moment I effectively run two main computers plus two backups in the same box by swapping the hard drives. I am now getting to point of thinking about building a new desktop machine for my new desk, when I get it  ;D My existing computer will used as a web and print server with storage on a NAS device. My new desktop will be for graphics games music etc. and needs to be very quiet. I had to add more fans to my existing desktop because I found that two of my hard drives had overheated. This is the reason I have so many hard drives now, the older ones are only for use if either of the main drives fail. I also plan to have plug in drives in both machines to give flexibility.

Colin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version