Technical Stuff > Internet Connections & TV

Internet

(1/11) > >>

:
There are a number of providers both cable and wireless and there is usually a choice in the larger cities. Outside these areas the only choice is wireless and the biggest provider is SmartBro. They use the Smart cellphone towers which gives them a very wide coverage. The problem is that they can be very very slow. Down to 0 at times. I have been using them for over 2 years and have frequently complained about the slow speeds. They advertise speeds burstable to 384kb/s and I was told by one of their technical staff that anything below 200kb/s was considered a problem. Up to very recently my speed was a maximum of 150kb/s at 6.00am dropping to around 70kb/s later in the morning. I complained many times, and even changed my CP over to Smart to get free access to their technical help. I then found their customer help email address on the Smart website  customercare@smart.com.ph and started emailing them. The girl at customer care (Rea) always replied promptly and was very inventive in her apologies. Things started to happen and I got calls from the technical section. After several of these sessions they agreed that my base station was congested. They installed more equipment then more customers which took us back to square one. This went on for several months then suddenly I started getting speeds above 300kb/s. The moral of this story is, complain repeatedly and politely and you should get results. If you want faster speeds then you should look into PLDT or one of the cable companies.

Colin

Calatrava_Kano:
We are in a small province town in Negros and our only DSL choice currently is Globlelines.  All I can say is Globelines sucks!!!  I am guessing that 30% of the time the connection is good and the rest is bad.  We have been with them over 2 years now and its worse than ever.  I have figured out and got them to admit that they only have a single dsl line running to our town that is shared by all.  Since we have been here the town went from 1 to 3 internet Cafes, and who knows how many others homes were added too.

Between brown outs, very very slow connection speeds, and poor connection (packet loss, not able stay on line in yahoo messenger, web page will not load) we have decided to try to change to Smart Bro if its available in our area.  I have heard other complain that smart bro is slow, but slow would be an upgrade from mostly dead.  We also want to try SmartBro because the land we are planing to purchase is outside town and Globelines does not offer DSL there as of now.

What kind of download speeds are you seeing with SmartBro, we use to get 49kps, now 29kps is about tops.  In the States I can get 300kps for the same price :(   I guess thats the price of province life, but for me its just perfect.

:

--- Quote from: Calatrava_Kano on January 22, 2008, 01:03:55 AM ---We are in a small province town in Negros and our only DSL choice currently is Globlelines.  All I can say is Globelines sucks!!!  I am guessing that 30% of the time the connection is good and the rest is bad.  We have been with them over 2 years now and its worse than ever.  I have figured out and got them to admit that they only have a single dsl line running to our town that is shared by all.  Since we have been here the town went from 1 to 3 internet Cafes, and who knows how many others homes were added too.

Between brown outs, very very slow connection speeds, and poor connection (packet loss, not able stay on line in yahoo messenger, web page will not load) we have decided to try to change to Smart Bro if its available in our area.  I have heard other complain that smart bro is slow, but slow would be an upgrade from mostly dead.  We also want to try SmartBro because the land we are planing to purchase is outside town and Globelines does not offer DSL there as of now.

What kind of download speeds are you seeing with SmartBro, we use to get 49kps, now 29kps is about tops.  In the States I can get 300kps for the same price :(   I guess thats the price of province life, but for me its just perfect.

--- End quote ---

Hi CK,

The Internet connections are very variable in the Philippines. Globelines has a good reputation here, but we also have a lot just outside the City and they, together with others, are not yet able to provide there. This is the reason I have stuck with SmartBro for over 2 years. However after many complaints it is working OK now. At the moment, 7.30am, it is around 350kb/s and stays above 300kb/s most of the time. You may not get these speeds initially, but the Smart Customer Services (Rea) does chase up the engineers to fix things. You will also find her many ways of apologising very entertaining  ;D I was told by the engineers that they are working through a plan to upgrade all base stations to 512kb/s in the near future.

Colin

:
Hi CK,

A friend of mine in Cebu has Globe & also is VERY frustrated with the speeds. He pays for the 2Mbs service but has been getting only 70-80Kbs. After much shouting they say their upgrade will be complete by the end of the month. He waits with baited breath  >:(

I also use Smart Bro & get around 200Kbps. I know, like Colin, I could keep on shouting at them but these speeds are stable & cover all I need.

:

--- Quote from: uzicom on January 22, 2008, 10:27:00 AM ---Hi CK,

A friend of mine in Cebu has Globe & also is VERY frustrated with the speeds. He pays for the 2Mbs service but has been getting only 70-80Kbs. After much shouting they say their upgrade will be complete by the end of the month. He waits with baited breath  >:(

I also use Smart Bro & get around 200Kbps. I know, like Colin, I could keep on shouting at them but these speeds are stable & cover all I need.

--- End quote ---

Keith, while you may be happy with 200kb/s, have you thought that you could be doing other people a service by sending Customer Services just one email a month for the next 6 months? You would even give Rea the opportunity to dream up some new ways of apologizing  ;D

Colin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version